Lockdown !!!

Jenno

Featured Posts

2 minutes ago, Machpoint005 said:

... but the only people moving abut in boats will be the antisocial idiots who think they are so special that the rules don't apply to them. 

I am utterley gobsmacked that anyone thinks a boat trip is a good idea in present circumstances. Liveaboards have their own particular problems, but so do many land dwellers (and there are hundreds of thousands more of them).

Really? I was under the impression that even in a 'total lockdown', people are still allowed to go to get food. This makes sense, there's no sense at all in preventing people dying from the corona virus but have them starve to death instead. So, I presume, people will still be using their cars to go and get food. Or indeed, their boats. Unless you know of something special about boats that make them great transporters of this virus, while cars are immune to this.

• Greenie 3

4 hours ago, doratheexplorer said:

Italy 08-March 366.    UK 22-March 281.  A tiny glimmer of hope as our total drops substantially below Italy's equivalent yesterday.  Probably a blip but we can hope.

And Italy 09-March 463. UK 23-March 335.

If its a blip, its a 2-day blip. Let's hope!

2 hours ago, doratheexplorer said:

same thing applies.  Get back to your spot by the services and realise you forgot the milk.  Also, if the locks are closed, you will of course still be able to move around a pound, but if not sure that's what the intention would be from CRT.

The point was it not that long a walk into Knowle from Knowle locks, compared to walking from Lapworth.  We shall have to wait to see what CRT say about boats moving.

7 hours ago, Dr Bob said:

Doubt there will be any volockies so they may be tempted to close some of the more 'complex' flights where there are normally volunteers to help the 'day' boaters.

CRTwebsite says:

"An update regarding Coronavirus:

In the current challenging times, we are aiming for as many of our volunteering opportunities to carry on where possible and appropriate. You’ll hear from us directly should this change."

So there may still be vollies about, if they haven't chosen to self-isolate.

18 hours ago, The Welsh Cruiser said:

'Lockdown' is a misnomer. Nobody is locked inside their houses or if they are, it's only those inside who operate the key. People can't be 'locked down' because they would starve to death. Even in Italy people are allowed to go out to buy food. So, there will still be cars on the streets, and people walking on the pavements, going to buy food, to prevent starvation doing for them before the corona virus does. So, if a boater needs to either walk to the shop to get food, or gets there on his or her boat, he or she isn't going to be arrested for doing so, regardless of whether CRT 'lockdown' the waterways. Similarly, if said boater has no water he or she needs to get some. If that means the boat moving a few miles, again, nobody is going to get arrested. More importantly, nobody is going to be put at risk by any of these manoeuvres.  

The first sensible response so far?

I'll be fine where I am for 3 weeks or so but after that will move my boat to empty the toilet. Essential journeys will be permitted and CRT aren't going to padlock every lock in the country. They don't have the manpower. The army will have their work cut out in the cities and towns and manning makeshift tent hospitals etc

Just now, matty40s said:

Not correct.

No body needs an address in the UK its not a legal requirement to live here. Theres lots of muppetry that makes it hard to do stuff without a postcode but theres no law requiring an address.

2 minutes ago, mrsmelly said:

No body needs an address in the UK its not a legal requirement to live here. Theres lots of muppetry that makes it hard to do stuff without a postcode but theres no law requiring an address.

This is my understnading too, but CRT insist on an address.

Can you cite anyone who has a CRT licence without proffering an address and postcode, false of not?

Im at present at my mothers house in Essex while the boat has work done on it in the Midlands...the nature of the work means for once Im not doing it and its not habitable while its being done....My mother is stuck out in South Africa where she does have a house so thats not too serious as long her visa etc can be extended....however technically she gets the 25% discount on council tax at the essex house so with two of us for an extended period that might be invalid....and our Doctor etc is in the midlands.....so getting back to the boat on friday is probably the right thing to do.....At this rate the journey home will end up like something out of the Dukes of Hazzard on a moonshine run.......

• Greenie 1
  • Haha 1

I really wish this term 'lockdown' would be banished to the history books. The only people who are 'locked down' are people who are in prison. It's an inaccurate term, sensationalist and emotive, as is the way with the gutter journalism we're burdened with in the modern age.

Nobody will be 'locked down' after 8.30 p.m., who isn't locked down already.   

• Greenie 1

4 minutes ago, The Welsh Cruiser said:

I really wish this term 'lockdown' would be banished to the history books. The only people who are 'locked down' are people who are in prison. It's an inaccurate term, sensationalist and emotive, as is the way with the gutter journalism we're burdened with in the modern age.

Nobody will be 'locked down' after 8.30 p.m., who isn't locked down already.   

That might change after boris addresses the nation tonight......

5 minutes ago, Nightwatch said:

Someone sent this to my wife tonight. Interesting.

0B3CA445-1EDD-4BB8-BE79-9D5BDD98DD92.jpeg

I refer the honourable gentleman to this post:

1 minute ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

312 pages of predictions before she got one right, lol!!

Indeed. 

1 minute ago, Arthur Marshall said:

The fact that in most of the country he is supposed to be in charge of there isn't a crisis...

You really don’t understand the concept of slowing the spread, do you?

12 minutes ago, WotEver said:

You really don’t understand the concept of slowing the spread, do you?

You tell me how insisting everyone in my daughter's block of social housing stays put, with two kids to a room, is going to do anything but guarantee that everyone in the place, say about two hundred people are going to get the damn thing at the same time? Now multiply that by the four blocks there, and a few dozen more round Birkenhead, and you think that'll slow it down? It's insanity, dreamt up by lackbrained idiots who have no concept how the plebs live.

Current advice to rough sleepers, by the way, is find a doorway. Council shelters have shut their doors, even if they have beds.

PS if you want an analogy, spread stuff out to cook, it takes longer. Chuck it all in a pressure cooker.... Whoosh.

Edited by Arthur Marshall

43 minutes ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

Can you cite anyone who has a CRT licence without proffering an address and postcode, false of not?

No I dont think so. I just use someone elses and have done for 30 years and never even registered at any of the houses I have owned along the way or pubs etc. My driving licence is registered at my Mothers adue to the ridiculous legislation. I did in fact tel dvla and they said that was ok under my circumstances!! My doctor and dentist didnt give too hoots they just use my boat and a C/o address for any mail.

Edited by mrsmelly

1 minute ago, mrsmelly said:

No I dont think so. I just use someone elses and have done for 30 years and never even registered at any of the houses I have owned along the way or pubs etc. My driving licence is registered at my Mothers adue to the ridiculous legislation. I did in fact tel dvla and they said that was ok under my circumstances!!

Its a point I raised on here three or four years ago when there was much discussion of the three mandatory requirements for a licence, BSS insurance and the mooring/no mooring declaration. I pointed out that a UK address and postcode was also mandatory in practice, but no-one seemed to agree with me. 

1 hour ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

See my screenshot for myself.  Not had any issues from CRT or EA about this...

Screenshot_20200323-202157.png

2 hours ago, ditchcrawler said:

Only if you do it properly like you do

My big batch is going to the allotment tomorrow with luck it will be spread next year with some well rotted horse muck  and compost! Should be a bumper cropof veg next year ?