Lockdown !!!

Jenno

Featured Posts

If recreational boating is banned what is meant by 'boating'? Does it include living on a boat even though no movement takes place? If so then will only boaters with a residential mooring will be allowed to stay onboard? After all to licence a boat on the cut requires a home address. 

Edited by nb Innisfree

1 minute ago, nb Innisfree said:

If recreational boating is banned what is meant by 'boating'? Does it include living on a boat even though no movement takes place? If so then will only boaters with a residential mooring will be allowed to stay onboard? After all to licence a boat on the cut requires a home address. 

In my case, the home address in my CRT account contains two 80+ year-olds in self isolation, so I'll be staying on my boat TYVM.

MP.

1 minute ago, nb Innisfree said:

The government has today made is clear that people with second homes, caravans and the like, which clearly covers boats, should not use them and to remain at/return to their primary residence.  The only people out on the canals should be CC’ersthat have no other home.

• Greenie 1

8 minutes ago, john6767 said:

The government has today made is clear that people with second homes, caravans and the like, which clearly covers boats, should not use them and to remain at/return to their primary residence.  The only people out on the canals should be CC’ersthat have no other home.

But ccers are required to have a permanent address. 

57 minutes ago, john6767 said:

I presume the intention would be to boat to the bottom of Knowle locks, it’s not too far to walk from there.

same thing applies.  Get back to your spot by the services and realise you forgot the milk.  Also, if the locks are closed, you will of course still be able to move around a pound, but if not sure that's what the intention would be from CRT.

17 minutes ago, john6767 said:

What about those with permanent moorings that have no other home - will they still be able to access their boats?

9 minutes ago, nb Innisfree said:

Required by whom?

2 hours ago, Nightwatch said:

What about services for passing, non customer, boats?

I received that email at 11.20

It didn't mention services but given this bit, "The safety of our customers and our staff is our primary concern."

I suspect they are now closed to all but their liveaboard customers.

• Greenie 1

2 minutes ago, doratheexplorer said:

Required by whom?

CRT, obviously. Or are you saying you can buy a licence without offering a correspondence address?

I don't think you can. Getting insurance with no correspondence address is probably quite difficult too. 

1 hour ago, nb Innisfree said:

They haven't got a permanent address for me.

59 minutes ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

CRT, obviously. Or are you saying you can buy a licence without offering a correspondence address?

I don't think you can. Getting insurance with no correspondence address is probably quite difficult too. 

Neither CRT or Craftinsure have a permanent address for me. Both have accepted just the name of my boat and a random road and postcode along my cruising range.

17 hours ago, Izz said:

Happy days!

I don't have to worry about getting a fake moorhen nest now! ?

Pity, I was just about to auction my moorhens nest, as we haven't seen them add to it today.

I was just thinking, "if they don't go to it today they must have abandoned it and I'll  be able to go boating" and now you lot are predicting the canals will be locked down. ?

20200323_153105.jpg

• Greenie 1

3 minutes ago, cuthound said:

Pity, I was just about to auction my moorhens nest, as we haven't seen them add to it today.

I was just thinking, "if they don't go to it today they must have abandoned it and I'll  be able to go boating" and now you lot are predicting the canals will be locked down. ?

20200323_153105.jpg

Sorry but this is awful, drooping button fender. What is the world coming too?  :D :captain:

(For avoidance of any doubt the above comment is a poor attempt at humour.)

18 minutes ago, Izz said:

Neither CRT or Craftinsure have a permanent address for me. Both have accepted just the name of my boat and a random road and postcode along my cruising range.

They probably just think you're very trustworthy!

17 minutes ago, cuthound said:

20200323_153105.jpg

In parts of London that would be sufficient to allow you to remain stationary for up 3 years.

• Haha 1

33 minutes ago, cuthound said:

20200323_153105.jpg

For a moorhen that nest is high quality and well designed,  almost too well constructed 

• Haha 1
  • Horror 1

37 minutes ago, Ray T said:

Sorry but this is awful, drooping button fender. What is the world coming too?  :D :captain:

(For avoidance of any doubt the above comment is a poor attempt at humour.)

I know, that is how it came back from the boatyard after having it reblacked. Its on my long list of things to do. ?

Mind you the moorhens jumping up and down on it whilst constructing their nest can't of helped. ?

14 minutes ago, tree monkey said:

For a moorhen that nest is high quality and well designed,  almost too well constructed 

Yes, until today they have worked tirelessly to build it, especially as most of it blows away in even the slightlest wind!

Edited by cuthound
To add spaces between merged posts

43 minutes ago, Izz said:

Somewhat missing the point. You presumably gave them that road name and postcode because they would not accept "I don't have a postal address" for an answer. They insist on having one.

You elected to give them a false one to fool their computa to say 'YES".

12 minutes ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

Somewhat missing the point. You presumably gave them that road name and postcode because they would not accept "I don't have a postal address" for an answer. They insist on having one.

Yes. The only alternative being that the applicant be denied having a licence, while everyone else is allowed to have one. His crime? Not living in a house, or being close to someone who does, who's prepared to allow him to use their address for his post. 

14 minutes ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

Although the computer has to be satisfied, my point demonstrates that they don't actually NEED a land address. I haven't had one for six years now and their system hasn't crumbled.

12 minutes ago, Izz said:

Although the computer has to be satisfied, my point demonstrates that they don't actually NEED a land address. I haven't had one for six years now and their system hasn't crumbled.

Lol, which canal are you on then?!! 

9 hours ago, Alway Swilby said:

if Johnson announces at 5pm that the outside world is closing down with immediate effect then CRT won't be able to put padlocks on every lock in that time scale.

... but the only people moving abut in boats will be the antisocial idiots who think they are so special that the rules don't apply to them. 

I am utterley gobsmacked that anyone thinks a boat trip is a good idea in present circumstances. Liveaboards have their own particular problems, but so do many land dwellers (and there are hundreds of thousands more of them).

2 minutes ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

Lol, which canal are you on then?!! 

Grand Union.

Seems to work okay! :)

3 minutes ago, Machpoint005 said:

... but the only people moving abut in boats will be the antisocial idiots who think they are so special that the rules don't apply to them.

Trust me, I'm moving abut in my boat as little as possible. I have to get up to get coffee though, and to use the bog, although a bucket under the bed is always an option.

• Haha 2