Lockdown !!!

Jenno

Featured Posts

2 hours ago, TheBiscuits said:

Any CCer who is too stupid to already be on a pound that has water/elsan/pumpout/bins/shops deserves everything they are about to receive.

...... what, you mean like water/elsan/pump out/bins and shops?  Perhaps I'm finding all this too complicated.

2 hours ago, Slim said:

I use my boat for recreational porposes.

Who's been panic buying all the dolphins then?

• Greenie 1

1 minute ago, zenataomm said:

... what, you mean like water/elsan/pump out/bins and shops?  Perhaps I'm finding all this too complicated.

I'm assuming that you have water and toilet emptying available.  If so, you are fine, stuff the rest of 'em.

To be honest, water is enough if you have transport and don't have a pumpout!

I do worry about those who are wearing rose tinted glasses, and have not yet had their first winter onboard.  They don't know what we old cynics do ...

7 hours ago, john6767 said:

Probably true, but it’s the principle that’s important, the detail does not matter.  What does it take to realise that the shit HAS hit the fan, and this has actually got more serious than try to score points against CRT.

I wasn't point scoring against CRT, just saying that if Johnson announces at 5pm that the outside world is closing down with immediate effect then CRT won't be able to put padlocks on every lock in that time scale. People who need to move on to a pound with facilities will still be physically able to.

9 hours ago, dor said:

I'll be very disappointed about this.  We usually go to the boat for three or four days a week.  We are on a long pound with plenty of opportunity for a change of scene without having to go through locks or meet people.

I had thought that we could quite reasonably drive from the house to the boat, where we have car parking, and get on the boat without coming anywhere near anybody else.  After all, self isolating on a boat is as good a place as any.  We have a private water point, and bring the cassette home to empty. Obviously we take our food with us so have no need to interact with anyone.

But as usually happens in these things, common sense gets lost.  I wonder if Boris is starting to regret his political ambitions?

On a completely different tack, what happens to the postal service if we do get a total lockdown?

I agree with all that but think its probably  too complicated to make exceptions. 

I am sure there are groups other than boaters who feel the same .

Perhaps the postal service will continue ? Similarly bin collections  - government employees are key workers ? Who knows - maybe these decisions are being made today?

8 hours ago, Slim said:

From  what I can glean people who have managed to get into the home delivery system (Tescos etc) are at the time of ordering, given the opportunity to book their next slot. . My info maay be wrong. In some ways I can understand their being given prioity, they're existing customers. The bit that p##s me off is the advice to 'arrange home delivery"

My other half has weekly tesco deliveries, not any more, the last one was Sunday she is unable to book anymore, all the slots are filled, that's me doing all the shopping then

• Greenie 1

13 hours ago, soforene said:

As the great unwashed British public are deciding to ignore the Governments advice about social distancing and are flocking in their (lemming like) droves to the seaside and up Snowdon etc. it can't be long before BoJo declares martial law and locks us all down a la Italy.

At last the real reason for mobilizing the Army (driving Oxygen truck to hospitals?, Yeah right) will become clear and we'll all be told to stay in our homes for 1 or 2 weeks.

But what about CC'ers?

Will they be allowed to pootle along as normal?

Our intrepid boys in their Camo gear will be too busy on the mean streets of the UK rounding up the self-entitled ne'er do wells to bother about the canals so will boatees be free to amble along the waterways as usual?

I wonder .....

Padlock the gates or for electric locks turn them off job done 

1 hour ago, tree monkey said:

My other half has weekly tesco deliveries, not any more, the last one was Sunday she is unable to book anymore, all the slots are filled, that's me doing all the shopping then

I have the same problem I usually do Dads shopping online at Tesco for him as he can't get out, no delivery or click and collect slots.

On a brighter note it seems if you can find your local milkman they have plenty of milk and no supply problems.

8 hours ago, TheBiscuits said:

I'm assuming that you have water and toilet emptying available.  If so, you are fine, stuff the rest of 'em.

I do worry about those who are wearing rose tinted glasses, and have not yet had their first winter onboard.  They don't know what we old cynics do ...

Yep. We Havnt had a winter for ten years so noobs who have only been on board after 2011 are in for a shock when we have a proper winter. 

• Greenie 1

All this talk of locking all the lock gates. I'm wondering, why might going through some locks help prevent the spread of the corona virus, while cruising up and down a pound would be no risk? Surely, if all non essential travel is considered dangerous the advice/ enforced message should be not to travel. If someone needs to travel to get water that's essential travel. If he or she can't because the locks are closed then well, it's not good at all. Are they going to do the same on the roads, put roadblocks in so those unable to walk far starve to death?   

11 hours ago, MoominPapa said:

We're liveaboard CCers with no other abode.  We're moored at the moment on the link at Lapworth. As this pound has three water/Elsan locations (Hatton, Lapworth and Knowle) and reasonable moorings, I think we may defer our planned transit of Birmingham for a few days and await developments.

MP.

That's a good spot.  I'd stay put if I were you.  The only downside is the shop down in the village is rubbish.  You might have a fair long walk to get any decent food in.

28 minutes ago, mrsmelly said:

Yep. We Havnt had a winter for ten years so noobs who have only been on board after 2011 are in for a shock when we have a proper winter. 

Winter 2013 was pretty bad where I was.

44 minutes ago, The Welsh Cruiser said:

All this talk of locking all the lock gates. I'm wondering, why might going through some locks help prevent the spread of the corona virus, while cruising up and down a pound would be no risk? Surely, if all non essential travel is considered dangerous the advice/ enforced message should be not to travel. If someone needs to travel to get water that's essential travel. If he or she can't because the locks are closed then well, it's not good at all. Are they going to do the same on the roads, put roadblocks in so those unable to walk far starve to death?   

The CRT may take the view that they cannot maintain the network so decide to close all locks. Doubt there will be any volockies so they may be tempted to close some of the more 'complex' flights where there are normally volunteers to help the 'day' boaters. It will all be about the CRT protecting their staff. Not a clue if it will happen but we need to be prepared. A 50-50 call at the moment I would guess.

I agree with you that it becomes essential travel to get to a water point so maybe if they did go to close the network, they would give some warning and time for peeps to get to a pound with some services on it.

11 hours ago, TheBiscuits said:

Good for you.  Some of us think if the engine is running to charge batteries then we might as well be in gear, and 1500/52/7 is 4 hours a day (ish), so not enough to keep the batteries in good nick.

I dont live aboard but feel just the same

14 hours ago, Izz said:

Happy days!

I don't have to worry about getting a fake moorhen nest now! ?

Can you buy these? Looks like a business opportunity for when things get back to normalish! ?

Edited: A quick Google suggests that you already can buy fake birds nests.

Edited by Jen-in-Wellies

13 hours ago, john6767 said:

Spot on.  We of course don’t know how this pans out, and of course government will not be planning for boats, not really significant in the big picture.  But you would expect that CRT are planning, and based on the advice from government will act responsibility in how this pans out for the waterways.

For leisure boaters this is a bummer, but that’s small fry, people are really suffering.  We should have been leaving our winter mooring in a weeks time to CC over the summer as we did last year, but over that last weeks it became clear that’s not going to happen and the boat is now booked in the marina now for the next 12 months, it’s the only responsible action in my view.

We are quite glad that we moved to a year round marina contract despite expecting to use it for under six months over the winter.

What are you talking about?

Read what you originally wrote, not what you think you wrote.

1 hour ago, Bobbybass said:

I heard ( ?) That the Flemish canals and the French canals are closed to all but non commercial traffic ...and that leisure locks are shut down..AND chained shut.  Guess that will come here... 

The Belgian and French canals have been closed to all non-commercial traffic until 3/4/2020 at the moment obviously that is subject to review. As no one can move the Belgian authorities have kept mooring rates at winter levels until two weeks after the restriction is lifted. Just as well as the difference between winter rates and the rest of the year is significant.

image.png.bb82ebacb3070a1743a58da3be352bb3.png

This is taken from the government's advice on non-essential travel.  Can anyone give a good reason why this wouldn't apply to boats?  I'd argue it's more of an issue for boats since the boaters come into more contact with each other, at locks etc. and are likely to touch the same surfaces. 

The general problem with moving the virus around the country also still applies, and canals often pass through small communities which are poorly served for nearby ICU beds. 

I was thinking of taking my boat away on a long cruise in a couple of weeks having been moored up for the winter.  I was wrong.  The situation has changed.  My understanding of the seriousness of the situation has changed.  Unless a miracle happens, I won't be going anywhere.

I expect the government are busy getting their ducks in a row right now and then will impose far stricter measures on movement and the canals will be shut very soon anyway. 

We moved yesterday. We have a pump out. And it’s nearly empty. We are a ten minute walk from an elson. We have tucked away, a porta loo. We are contemplating, with immediate effect, using the porta loo. We have a Tesco, Morrison’s and a town centre all nearby. There’s a water point a lift bridge away.

Still we are not happy. Like everyone, wish this would all go away. Moorings are very nearly at their limit. Am I moaning. Dam right I am. Bloomin’ Chinese scientists.?

All Castle Marinas will be going into lockdown later today. Residents will of course be allowed access to their boats, but in all other respects they will be closed; leisure boaters will not be allowed to visit their boats for any reason, including to work on them. Marina staff will attend to any boat that has a problem, and may be prepared to collect essential items that the owner needs. An email will be sent to holders this afternoon with further details. Source of this info, verbally from the marina manager (at a safe distance)

5 minutes ago, Keeping Up said:

All Castle Marinas will be going into lockdown later today. Residents will of course be allowed access to their boats, but in all other respects they will be closed; leisure boaters will not be allowed to visit their boats for any reason, including to work on them. Marina staff will attend to any boat that has a problem, and may be prepared to collect essential items that the owner needs. An email will be sent to holders this afternoon with further details. Source of this info, verbally from the marina manager (at a safe distance)

If this is replicated then all those 'under the radar' leisure moorers who live aboard are going to have big problems!

The UK govt strategy is more dynamic than our continental counterparts, responding to the situation as and when required. On one level that seems like a more reasonable approach than the blanket measures adopted abroad. The only problem is that it means we're always slightly behind the curve of doing what we need to do as it's a reactive approach.

I think that many individualistic Brits are less likely to take kindly to rules being imposed upon them. Some will be complaining about loss of civil liberties no doubt (and the conspiracy theorist nuts will be telling us it's a govt power grab). My own view it's that when it comes to matters of life and death civil liberties have to take a back seat.

Screenshot_20200323-120621~2.png

16 minutes ago, Nightwatch said:

We moved yesterday. We have a pump out. And it’s nearly empty. We are a ten minute walk from an elson. We have tucked away, a porta loo. We are contemplating, with immediate effect, using the porta loo. We have a Tesco, Morrison’s and a town centre all nearby. There’s a water point a lift bridge away.

Still we are not happy. Like everyone, wish this would all go away. Moorings are very nearly at their limit. Am I moaning. Dam right I am. Bloomin’ Chinese scientists.?

Why not use the pump out until its full, you may be able to get a pump out by then

3 minutes ago, Scholar Gypsy said:

Foxes have just closed their hire fleet, and I am sure others will be doing the same.   I agree absolutely with @doratheexplorer post above. Sadly, I don't expect to see my boat for quite a while.

So have Oxford, said they have been told to