Lockdown !!!

Jenno

Featured Posts

I've got to agree with the Biscuits. How are the CRT going to ensure they can do all the repair work needed and operate certain flights of locks with the 70+ year old volockies?

The National trust is virtually shutting down and I think we will see it for a while.

We were in Braunston this weekend and the odd boat was moving but very quiet - nice sun but that wind was cold!

Back to the marina by tomorrow before lockdown.

49 minutes ago, Slim said:

I use my boat for recreational porposes. I f I can't so be it I will absolutly self isolate at home. My concern is 'how will I feed myself ? My nearest living relatives are 7 miles from my home (nephew, niece in law) They already have 3 children, x2 mother/father in laws. Already my niece in law has found it impossible to source food for everyone. Add me into the equasion and tell me the answer. I've spent the last few days trying to book a home delivery wiithout success. Before anyone asks ALL bar one of my neighbours are in their 70' , 80s. Not complaining, just asking.

In this area a number of wholesalers to the pub/restaurant/education sectors hold stocks of food, and are actively looking for alternative buyers (admittedly with c£50 minimum order) and offering delivery.  If you've only been looking at the Tesco etc suppliers, perhaps worth widening the search.

We're liveaboard CCers with no other abode.  We're moored at the moment on the link at Lapworth. As this pound has three water/Elsan locations (Hatton, Lapworth and Knowle) and reasonable moorings, I think we may defer our planned transit of Birmingham for a few days and await developments.

MP.

• Greenie 4

39 minutes ago, TheBiscuits said:

Do you have a mooring or are you a CCer?

If you are a lesiure CCer (a Dumper in the parlance!) then a shutdown won't affect you.  If the canals are shut, just leave your boat right where it is until the situation changes.  It might not be a bad idea to get your boat fairly near some liveaboards and give them your phone number so they can let you know if there is a problem with your boat.

If you are a liveaboard CCer (or indeed a liveaboard with a mooring not on the same pound as water/bin/loo/shop facilities!) then get to a pound that has those facilities BEFORE Monday 5pm.  If the worst that happens is you get a fortnight away from your usual mooring then you have had a holiday.  If there is a shutdown, you can get the boat to a water point and an elsan ...

I'm a continuous cruiser, I was replying to previous comment on not being responsible if not taking up a marina berth.

Edited by Timx

16 minutes ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

If you're in trouble with foodstuffs, PM me. I'm within driving distance of you and can bring you stuff.

Mike, that is extremely kind of you. At the moment I'm fine. I'M more concerned with the situation going forward to when I return home at the end of the week. 

Take care and once again thanks for your concern.

4 minutes ago, MoominPapa said:

We're liveaboard CCers with no other abode.  We're moored at the moment on the link at Lapworth. As this pound has three water/Elsan locations (Hatton, Lapworth and Knowle) and reasonable moorings, I think we may defer our planned transit of Birmingham for a few days and await developments.

MP.

Good move, you are in a good location, although a long reverse from the water point at Hatton if they lock off the top lock!  Things are accelerating quickly as we moving into this.

27 minutes ago, Timx said:

Quite right, those that have money to pay a marina are responsible, but what does that make me without the money to pay .?

19 minutes ago, TheBiscuits said:

If there is a shutdown, you can get the boat to a water point and an elsan ...

Just to add to this, you show your location as Merseyside.  The pound between Stanley Dock Top and Appley Bridge Deep has to be one of the best provided in the country.

There are a wide selection of marinas, boat clubs, CRT moorings, private moorings and even caravan parks that take boats between Appley Bridge and Liverpool.  There are plenty facilities on that stretch of the L&L, and if you are in the docks at Liverpool then go up to the marina when you need services.

15 minutes ago, peter n said:

In this area a number of wholesalers to the pub/restaurant/education sectors hold stocks of food, and are actively looking for alternative buyers (admittedly with c£50 minimum order) and offering delivery.  If you've only been looking at the Tesco etc suppliers, perhaps worth widening the search.

From  what I can glean people who have managed to get into the home delivery system (Tescos etc) are at the time of ordering, given the opportunity to book their next slot. . My info maay be wrong. In some ways I can understand their being given prioity, they're existing customers. The bit that p##s me off is the advice to 'arrange home delivery"

2 minutes ago, TheBiscuits said:

Just to add to this, you show your location as Merseyside.  The pound between Stanley Dock Top and Appley Bridge Deep has to be one of the best provided in the country.

There are a wide selection of marinas, boat clubs, CRT moorings, private moorings and even caravan parks that take boats between Appley Bridge and Liverpool.  There are plenty facilities on that stretch of the L&L, and if you are in the docks at Liverpool then go up to the marina when you need services.

I'm a continuous cruiser, I do  1500 hrs a year cruising the network , I slow down a little in winter.

31 minutes ago, dor said:

I'll be very disappointed about this.  We usually go to the boat for three or four days a week.  We are on a long pound with plenty of opportunity for a change of scene without having to go through locks or meet people.

I had thought that we could quite reasonably drive from the house to the boat, where we have car parking, and get on the boat without coming anywhere near anybody else.  After all, self isolating on a boat is as good a place as any.  We have a private water point, and bring the cassette home to empty. Obviously we take our food with us so have no need to interact with anyone.

But as usually happens in these things, common sense gets lost.  I wonder if Boris is starting to regret his political ambitions?

On a completely different tack, what happens to the postal service if we do get a total lockdown?

I'm in the same situation, I don't live full time aboard but I can easily self isolate on the boat. 

Hopefully common sense shall prevail but looking at the news, it's seems the British people don't have any common sense 

3 minutes ago, Timx said:

I'm a continuous cruiser, I do  1500 hrs a year cruising the network , I slow down a little in winter.

Good for you.  Some of us think if the engine is running to charge batteries then we might as well be in gear, and 1500/52/7 is 4 hours a day (ish), so not enough to keep the batteries in good nick.

If your Merseyside location is not correct any longer, then my previous comment is pointless.  Which pound are you on at the moment?  The forum can probably offer helpful advice if we know where you are.

2 minutes ago, TheBiscuits said:

Good for you.  Some of us think if the engine is running to charge batteries then we might as well be in gear, and 1500/52/7 is 4 hours a day (ish), so not enough to keep the batteries in good nick.

If your Merseyside location is not correct any longer, then my previous comment is pointless.  Which pound are you on at the moment?  The forum can probably offer helpful advice if we know where you are.

Are you drunk? 

2 minutes ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

Oh so it's YOU wearing the system out then....

:giggles:

Only had it four years, and you told me to buy it, ? Retirement is boring if you don't enjoy it, I think I have done everywhere nice I can get to though (60ft) So will probably do it all again.

9 minutes ago, Timx said:

Only had it four years, and you told me to buy it, ? Retirement is boring if you don't enjoy it, I think I have done everywhere nice I can get to though (60ft) So will probably do it all again.

Did I? Lol! 

Have you done the Thames and K&A? 

1 minute ago, Alway Swilby said:

All you peeps saying "get onto a pound with a water point by 5pm Monday", do you not think that we might get a bit of notice before CRT put padlocks on the locks? I would think that we would get 24 hrs notice.

That's mostly me ... :D

If you are not ALREADY on a pound with water and loo emptying facilities and a bin and a shop that does not need public transport to get to then you are a fool to yourself.

The pubs didn't get 24 hours notice at 5pm on Friday - why do you think CRT will get it on Monday?

• Greenie 2

'Lockdown' is a misnomer. Nobody is locked inside their houses or if they are, it's only those inside who operate the key. People can't be 'locked down' because they would starve to death. Even in Italy people are allowed to go out to buy food. So, there will still be cars on the streets, and people walking on the pavements, going to buy food, to prevent starvation doing for them before the corona virus does. So, if a boater needs to either walk to the shop to get food, or gets there on his or her boat, he or she isn't going to be arrested for doing so, regardless of whether CRT 'lockdown' the waterways. Similarly, if said boater has no water he or she needs to get some. If that means the boat moving a few miles, again, nobody is going to get arrested. More importantly, nobody is going to be put at risk by any of these manoeuvres.  

• Happy 1

29 minutes ago, Timx said:

Are you drunk? 

Yes, by a reasonable definition.  Which bit of my advice do you think I should alter because I have had more alcohol than is advised for driving?

Do you think you should move more or less because I asked where you are moored?

I was the first boat (yesterday) through a flight of locks that have been shut since January so if there is a lockdown I am where I want to be.

I thought I was offering valuable advice to my fellow continuous cruisers.  If you disagree, feel free to teach me a lesson by not having your own boat on a pound with water and elsan facilities when the locks get shut off. 

I'll be a lot less sorry, because I can see the waterpoint and the bin out of my front door,

• Greenie 1

30 minutes ago, TheBiscuits said:

That's mostly me ... :D

If you are not ALREADY on a pound with water and loo emptying facilities and a bin and a shop that does not need public transport to get to then you are a fool to yourself.

The pubs didn't get 24 hours notice at 5pm on Friday - why do you think CRT will get it on Monday?

I don't think CRT have the resources to put padlocks on every lock by 5pm tomorrow.

7 minutes ago, Alway Swilby said:

I don't think CRT have the resources to put padlocks on every lock by 5pm tomorrow.

Probably true, but it’s the principle that’s important, the detail does not matter.  What does it take to realise that the shit HAS hit the fan, and this has actually got more serious than try to score points against CRT.

• Greenie 1

9 minutes ago, Alway Swilby said:

No, I agree.  Are they capable of putting one single padlock between you and the next waterpoint though?  If they are, then move in the morning - it's daylight at 6am!