Lockdown !!!

Jenno

Featured Posts

As the great unwashed British public are deciding to ignore the Governments advice about social distancing and are flocking in their (lemming like) droves to the seaside and up Snowdon etc. it can't be long before BoJo declares martial law and locks us all down a la Italy.

At last the real reason for mobilizing the Army (driving Oxygen truck to hospitals?, Yeah right) will become clear and we'll all be told to stay in our homes for 1 or 2 weeks.

But what about CC'ers?

Will they be allowed to pootle along as normal?

Our intrepid boys in their Camo gear will be too busy on the mean streets of the UK rounding up the self-entitled ne'er do wells to bother about the canals so will boatees be free to amble along the waterways as usual?

I wonder .....

19 minutes ago, soforene said:

Our intrepid boys in their Camo gear will be too busy on the mean streets of the UK rounding up the self-entitled ne'er do wells to bother about the canals so will boatees be free to amble along the waterways as usual?

I may be wrong but fairly sure our armed forces (and police) have access to aircraft and heat seeking cameras  so could easily spot the hot engine of a boat under way against a cold canal or river if they cared to look. It's not like a boat can outrun a helicopter . 

19 minutes ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

What should liveaboards do to empty their bogs then? 

Over the side?

I think we will be given time to get near facilities. the 14 day rule will be suspended and that will be it. They stopped us moving during the foot and mouth and most seem to think this is more serious. Emptying boat bogs is about 45 million and twelfth in line for consideration by the government at this time.

• Greenie 1

At present they don't have the laws to force a countrywide lockdown, the act comes before parliament on Monday

As soon as its passed  the country will be locked down.

Edited by Loddon

2 minutes ago, Loddon said:

At present they don't have the laws to force a countrywide lockdown, the act comes before parliament on Monday

As soon as its passed  the country will be locked down..

I agree. As will boat movements I fear.

5 minutes ago, Loddon said:

As soon as its passed  the country will be locked down.

2 minutes ago, mrsmelly said:

I agree. As will boat movements I fear.

I would agree with this, but my prediction is that boating will fall under a random section to do with footpaths and parks - there will be no consideration at all given to inland waterways boaters.  We are not even an afterthought.

The CC liveaboards will be fine - if the government prevent movement on the waterways, then by definition that will qualify as "14 days or such longer period as is reasonable in the circumstances."

Any CCer who is too stupid to already be on a pound that has water/elsan/pumpout/bins/shops deserves everything they are about to receive.  Any liveaboard who has a home mooring that does not have facilities on the same pound needs to consider moving to a pound that does before 5 pm Monday!

Any non-liveaboards? tough.  You do not need to be on the boat, much as you might like to be.  Either rent your house out and move on the boat, or accept that you might not be getting a boating holiday this year.

I use my boat for recreational porposes. I f I can't so be it I will absolutly self isolate at home. My concern is 'how will I feed myself ? My nearest living relatives are 7 miles from my home (nephew, niece in law) They already have 3 children, x2 mother/father in laws. Already my niece in law has found it impossible to source food for everyone. Add me into the equasion and tell me the answer. I've spent the last few days trying to book a home delivery wiithout success. Before anyone asks ALL bar one of my neighbours are in their 70' , 80s. Not complaining, just asking.

Edited by Slim

1 minute ago, Slim said:

I use my boat for recreational porposes. I f I can't so be it I will absolutly self isolate. My concern is 'how will I feed myself ? My nearest living relatives are 7 miles from my home (nephew, niece in law) They already have 3 children, x2 mother/father in laws. Already my niece in law has found it impossible to source food for everyone. Add me into the equasion and tell me the answer. I've spent the last few days trying to book a home delivery wiithout success. Before anyone asks ALL bar one of my neighbours are in their 70' , 80s. Not complaining, just asking.

Where do you live? The shops and sloopermarkets round here have plenty of food, yes low on some stuff but oodles of good stuff to be had. I think it seems the muppetry is in the bigger conurbations??

And by your definition I'm a muppety

To expand. Yesterday (Saturday) my nephew turned up on my sisters doorstep with 2 cans of spagetti in tomato sauce. He couldn't get any Potatoes, rice, bread or milk. Sorry, thats on the outskirts of Rickmansworth.

Edited by Slim

8 minutes ago, Slim said:

And by your definition I'm a muppety

To expand. Yesterday (Saturday) my nephew turned up on my sisters doorstep with 2 cans of spagetti in tomato sauce. He couldn't get any Potatoes, rice, bread or milk. Sorry, thats on the outskirts of Rickmansworth.

Nope, not you. The eejuts that did all the completely stupid panic buying are the muppets. Your location though, south east adds up there are a lot of peeps round there.

9 minutes ago, mrsmelly said:

Nope, not you. The eejuts that did all the completely stupid panic buying are the muppets. Your location though, south east adds up there are a lot of peeps round there.

And by definition a lot of supermarkets.

58 minutes ago, mrsmelly said:

I think we will be given time to get near facilities. the 14 day rule will be suspended and that will be it. They stopped us moving during the foot and mouth and most seem to think this is more serious. Emptying boat bogs is about 45 million and twelfth in line for consideration by the government at this time.

Foot and mouth, was a risk by people walking in those areas, can't see what this has to do with that, people panicking are making this worse

• Greenie 1

Just now, Slim said:

And by definition a lot of supermarkets.

Thats true, more space for extra muppets. We use a coop just up the road and its got everything in stock, but its not the south east thank god.

26 minutes ago, TheBiscuits said:

I would agree with this, but my prediction is that boating will fall under a random section to do with footpaths and parks - there will be no consideration at all given to inland waterways boaters.  We are not even an afterthought.

The CC liveaboards will be fine - if the government prevent movement on the waterways, then by definition that will qualify as "14 days or such longer period as is reasonable in the circumstances."

Any CCer who is too stupid to already be on a pound that has water/elsan/pumpout/bins/shops deserves everything they are about to receive.  Any liveaboard who has a home mooring that does not have facilities on the same pound needs to consider moving to a pound that does before 5 pm Monday!

Any non-liveaboards? tough.  You do not need to be on the boat, much as you might like to be.  Either rent your house out and move on the boat, or accept that you might not be getting a boating holiday this year.

Spot on.  We of course don’t know how this pans out, and of course government will not be planning for boats, not really significant in the big picture.  But you would expect that CRT are planning, and based on the advice from government will act responsibility in how this pans out for the waterways.

For leisure boaters this is a bummer, but that’s small fry, people are really suffering.  We should have been leaving our winter mooring in a weeks time to CC over the summer as we did last year, but over that last weeks it became clear that’s not going to happen and the boat is now booked in the marina now for the next 12 months, it’s the only responsible action in my view.

3 minutes ago, john6767 said:

Spot on.  We of course don’t know how this pans out, and of course government will not be planning for boats, not really significant in the big picture.  But you would expect that CRT are planning, and based on the advice from government will act responsibility in how this pans out for the waterways.

For leisure boaters this is a bummer, but that’s small fry, people are really suffering.  We should have been leaving our winter mooring in a weeks time to CC over the summer as we did last year, but over that last weeks it became clear that’s not going to happen and the boat is now booked in the marina now for the next 12 months, it’s the only responsible action in my view.

Quite right, those that have money to pay a marina are responsible, but what does that make me without the money to pay .?

• Greenie 1

2 minutes ago, Timx said:

Quite right, those that have money to pay a marina are responsible, but what does that make me without the money to pay .?

Do you have a mooring or are you a CCer?

If you are a lesiure CCer (a Dumper in the parlance!) then a shutdown won't affect you.  If the canals are shut, just leave your boat right where it is until the situation changes.  It might not be a bad idea to get your boat fairly near some liveaboards and give them your phone number so they can let you know if there is a problem with your boat.

If you are a liveaboard CCer (or indeed a liveaboard with a mooring not on the same pound as water/bin/loo/shop facilities!) then get to a pound that has those facilities BEFORE Monday 5pm.  If the worst that happens is you get a fortnight away from your usual mooring then you have had a holiday.  If there is a shutdown, you can get the boat to a water point and an elsan ...

I'll be very disappointed about this.  We usually go to the boat for three or four days a week.  We are on a long pound with plenty of opportunity for a change of scene without having to go through locks or meet people.

I had thought that we could quite reasonably drive from the house to the boat, where we have car parking, and get on the boat without coming anywhere near anybody else.  After all, self isolating on a boat is as good a place as any.  We have a private water point, and bring the cassette home to empty. Obviously we take our food with us so have no need to interact with anyone.

But as usually happens in these things, common sense gets lost.  I wonder if Boris is starting to regret his political ambitions?

On a completely different tack, what happens to the postal service if we do get a total lockdown?

• Greenie 1

2 minutes ago, Timx said:

I certainly did not mean it was irresponsible if you could not, just that for me that seemed the responsible thing for me to do.  If we can use the boat a bit in a lull at the end of the summer that would be a bonus right now. 

As someone dependent on a pension, and given what the stock markets have done who knows if I can really afford anything anyway, but we shall have to see when this is all over I guess.