Callorifier Install

Featured Posts

Hey Everyone!

I've been showering at the Gym for the past few years, so my DIY bathroom never quite got finished, but now that all the gyms are shut I have to quite urgently make my bathroom work, I'm not on the last step which is installing a Calorifier. I'd really appreciate a response as I'm worried London is going to completely close down, so I want to make sure I get all my plumbing done whilst the hardware shops are still open.

I have this one currently http://www.surejust.co.uk/55-litre-vertical-twin-coil-surecal-calorifier

There are two coils and the instructions say the lower coil is for the engine and accepts Hose heater pipe whilst the middle coil is for a secondary engine/ heating device and accepts 15mm push fits.

I don't have any heater pipe and so I'm thinking the easy thing to do is to use the upper Coil, which is just simple push fit. Would this still work? Or am I going to break something..

Also I have two pipes coming out from the engine that went into my old Calorifer, I have no idea which ones hot and which ones cold. Would the hot one be coming from the upper part of the engine and the cold from the lower part? There is a T connection which sends water to the header tank (plastic bottle) and through the bulkhead to where the calories is .. So I'm guessing this is the pipe with the hot water as the header tank contains hot water..

Just thought I'ts worth seeking your wisdom before I go plugging pipes in all over the place..

Cheers! 

27 minutes ago, JCheetham said:

Hey Everyone!

I've been showering at the Gym for the past few years, so my DIY bathroom never quite got finished, but now that all the gyms are shut I have to quite urgently make my bathroom work, I'm not on the last step which is installing a Calorifier. I'd really appreciate a response as I'm worried London is going to completely close down, so I want to make sure I get all my plumbing done whilst the hardware shops are still open.

I have this one currently http://www.surejust.co.uk/55-litre-vertical-twin-coil-surecal-calorifier

There are two coils and the instructions say the lower coil is for the engine and accepts Hose heater pipe whilst the middle coil is for a secondary engine/ heating device and accepts 15mm push fits.

I don't have any heater pipe and so I'm thinking the easy thing to do is to use the upper Coil, which is just simple push fit. Would this still work? Or am I going to break something..

Also I have two pipes coming out from the engine that went into my old Calorifer, I have no idea which ones hot and which ones cold. Would the hot one be coming from the upper part of the engine and the cold from the lower part? There is a T connection which sends water to the header tank (plastic bottle) and through the bulkhead to where the calories is .. So I'm guessing this is the pipe with the hot water as the header tank contains hot water..

Just thought I'ts worth seeking your wisdom before I go plugging pipes in all over the place..

Cheers! 

You'll get more hot water if you use the lower coil. The upper coil will only heat the top half of the tank. The upper hose on the engine is the hot one, but it doesn't matter much which way round you connect them.

• Greenie 1

Firstly I like your boat name, same as my forum one. I assume yours is a 'widebeam'  I know I am.

To business. Regardless of how you install the tank make sure if you have an immersion heater fitted it can be removed many years in the future by either yourself or subsequent owner. see my current topic on replacing an immersion element.

Stay safe

Frank aka Slim 

Generally speaking, the hose that connects to somewhere on near the top of the engine will be the hot outlet, then hose that connects on to, or near the engine water pump will be the cool return. As @David Mack said, it doesn't matter much which way round they are connected to the cauliflower lower coil. Depending on how it is installed, you may want to put in a bleed point to get air locks out when first installing, or changing the engine coolant.

Jen