Hurleston

haggis

Featured Posts

If the country is not put into lock down, we plan to have a trip up the Llangollen when Hurleston reopens. Does anyone know if it is on schedule and likely to open soon as planned. I could phone C&RT but I imagine they will be busy and short staffed just now so thought I would ask here first.

Thanks, Haggis 

1 hour ago, haggis said:

If the country is not put into lock down, we plan to have a trip up the Llangollen when Hurleston reopens. Does anyone know if it is on schedule and likely to open soon as planned. I could phone C&RT but I imagine they will be busy and short staffed just now so thought I would ask here first.

Thanks, Haggis 

Saw a picture on Facebook last week of an ex working boat using it as a test!

1 hour ago, Tim Lewis said:

Saw a picture on Facebook last week of an ex working boat using it as a test!

Mountbatten is a working boat.  I had some coal off it yesterday.  They have been stuck on the Llangollen since the lock was closed.

2 minutes ago, Ray T said:

I have it in my mind that Mountbatten was built to 6' 10" width, not 7ft.

Open to correction.

I think you are right and Mountbatten has been passing through Hurleston before any rebuild.

1 hour ago, Ray T said:

I have it in my mind that Mountbatten was built to 6' 10" width, not 7ft.

Open to correction.

1 hour ago, Rob-M said:

I think you are right and Mountbatten has been passing through Hurleston before any rebuild.

Mountbatten is indeed built to 6' 10", so originally planned to be 2 to 2.5" narrower than many older working boats.

However, I believe that towards the rebuild, even Mountbatten was getting stuck in Hurleston, (as indeed were quite a few modern boats supposedly built to 6' 10").

Picture taken from Facebook

Montbatten Hurleston.jpg

Edited by alan_fincher

7 hours ago, haggis said:

Thanks, Haggis 

The good people on Fuel Boat Halsall, told me, last Thursday, that one of the other fuel boats had be allowed through as a “test”, so looks like all is on schedule.  Due to work commitments changing, because of Covid planning, we are looking to go through next Saturday or Sunday, so like you, we hope that it reopens on Friday evening!

Edited by The Dreamer

5 hours ago, Rob-M said:

Only just, it got stuck a couple of times and needed a flush, the time Richard Parry attended, it went through with no problems.

11 hours ago, haggis said:

Thanks, Haggis 

i cant see boating being allowed to continue ? All major campsites have today announced closure until at the earliest june 30th. the caravan and motorhome club alone is about 2500 sites and there are many more. I cant see our boating surviving the closures that are inevitably coming our way.

2 hours ago, mrsmelly said:

i cant see boating being allowed to continue ? All major campsites have today announced closure until at the earliest june 30th. the caravan and motorhome club alone is about 2500 sites and there are many more. I cant see our boating surviving the closures that are inevitably coming our way.

Nor can I in all honesty and the antics of a lot of people today who went to the seaside and beauty spots in their droves and completely ignored  the distance advice will probably hasten the announcement. Apparently the advice from the Caravan and Camping Club was initially to keep sites open but shut the loos then a day or so later the advice was to close the sites. 

haggis

Just now, haggis said:

Nor can I in all honesty and the antics of a lot of people today who went to the seaside and beauty spots in their droves and completely ignored  the distance advice will probably hasten the announcement. Apparently the advice from the Caravan and Camping Club was initially to keep sites open but shut the loos then a day or so later the advice was to close the sites. 

haggis

You are right. They sent emails 2 days ago saying business as usual apart from closed bars etc then today another stating closed til june 30th. Methinks CART will soon do the same.

5 minutes ago, mrsmelly said:

You are right. They sent emails 2 days ago saying business as usual apart from closed bars etc then today another stating closed til june 30th. Methinks CART will soon do the same.

But they wont shut down the travelers sites. Wait for the Bargees to start shouting

http://www.bargee-traveller.org.uk/advice-on-covid-19-coronavirus/

Edited by ditchcrawler

16 minutes ago, haggis said:

haggis

14 minutes ago, mrsmelly said:

The Camping and Caravanning Club

Sun 22/03/2020 14:38

Dear Mr T

All our UK Club Sites will be closing with immediate effect, until further notice.

Throughout these unprecedented times, the Club has endeavoured to follow the advice of the government. Initially, our priority was to support our members overseas - as the situation evolved and came closer to home, we introduced fully flexible bookings on UK sites and remained open to those members who made the decision to stay.

We changed our operations to facilitate social distancing, closed facility blocks and communal areas, introduced mobile check-ins and increased distances between pitches and we asked members to visit sites closest to home.

Keeping you and your family safe and well is, and always will be, our first priority.

Given the continued escalation of the virus, the thoughts of our members and the messages from local tourist boards it is clear the time has now come to close all our sites with immediate effect.

Clearly, this decision will have a great impact on the hundreds of staff who have shown such remarkable dedication to the Club in extremely testing times. We will be supporting them in every way we can through the weeks and months ahead, until they can get back to doing what they do best - giving you the best possible experience at our sites up and down the country.

What happens now?

We've been dedicated to our members' needs for over 100 years and want to be here for generations to come. As a Club, we need you more than ever, to support us and each other.

Our website will be updated regularly with further information and we'll be in regular contact throughout our closure period. We'll bring you news, content and suggestions for how we can all share our passion for camping and lift our collective spirits.

Most of all, we are greatly looking forward to the day that we can invite you safely back to our sites and enjoy time with family and friends in the beauty of our countryside.

Until then, the NHS website is the best source of information about coronavirus and what you can do to prevent its spread. Please stay updated.

We have included booking advice at the end of this message, please continue reading if you have any upcoming bookings.

Thank you, stay safe and my best wishes to you all.

Edited by Ray T