Martin Zero

LadyG

Featured Posts

You are bored aren't you.................how many days to go now??

The thought of you and The Buzzcocks intrigues me   aah but we were all younger then let's hope we all get a lot older.................................

By the way the vid wouldn't play directly from your link, however I do have The Buzzcocks in my lengthy and varied lengthof artists on Itunes

Get well soon.....

Edited by Graham_Robinson

Perhaps we should try another track, how about:

Not sure how many days. I thought it was getting better, but until today I haven't had a cough, now I do. This could get worse before it gets better.

I have original pressings of both of these, must be worth all of....25p?

1 minute ago, davidg said:

Not sure how many days. I thought it was getting better, but until today I haven't had a cough, now I do. This could get worse before it gets better.

Kung fu international and Beasley street are a couple of favourites of mine.

Really good video, thanks for posting.  Those two adits actually merge into one, a short distance into the level, at a place called " waters meeting".  There were 45 plus miles of underground canals in that system, serving a number of different collieries and were arranged on different levels which were accessed by inclined planes.

There was even a completely landlocked boatyard, possibly in Walkden?, where starvationer boats were brought up to the surface via a drift from the workings below.

Edited by NB Esk
Spelling

On 22/03/2020 at 06:54, Derek R. said:

Yes, he has done a very good pair of videos dealing with Brindley's solution to water ingress at the Wet Earth Colliery on the River Irwell.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-OxIEnVBVLM&feature=emb_rel_pause

Fascinating videos. I wonder if he has completed part three? 

There are a few questions left hanging. Presumably the collapsed washout tunnel was the original, with the newer replacement being the tunnel that they walked up.

I am guessing that at least one of the timber structures in that tunnel might have been automatic flood doors so that flood water in the river below could not back up into the main flow tunnel from the weir to the syphon, negating the flow to the mine pumps. The other set (with the shaft to ground level) would presumably have been manually closed to isolate the washout in times of low or normal river flow.

You never know what is under your feet!

On 22/03/2020 at 06:54, Derek R. said:

Yes, he has done a very good pair of videos dealing with Brindley's solution to water ingress at the Wet Earth Colliery on the River Irwell.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-OxIEnVBVLM&feature=emb_rel_pause

Many years ago I used to explore abandoned mines and have actually been into the siphon chamber identified in the second part of the video.  This was many years ago but things don't look to have changed much underground.  The surface remains are even better in the video, as the vegetation was at its peak when I visited.  A very interesting place.

21 hours ago, davidg said:

A nice copy of The Innocents would fetch about £12 on  good day.

I can also recommend Paul Whitewick on Youtube.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCJV1EC8Mf87PpQYo9eUfd3Q

He and his wife search for abandoned railways using old maps as a reference, turning a country walk into a bit of an exploration.. 

Canals often get a mention.

Like me he loves poking around in old tunnels !

Edited by jake_crew
  • Greenie 2

13 minutes ago, jake_crew said:

I can also recommend Paul Whitewick on Youtube.

Looks fascinating - I will investigate when I have time.

I just had a brief look through all the titles and it doesn't look as if he's done the Wisbech & Upwell yet.

On 24/03/2020 at 08:11, NB Esk said:

Really good video, thanks for posting.  Those two adits actually merge into one, a short distance into the level, at a place called " waters meeting".  There were 45 plus miles of underground canals in that system, serving a number of different collieries and were arranged on different levels which were accessed by inclined planes.

There was even a completely landlocked boatyard, possibly in Walkden?, where starvationer boats were brought up to the surface via a drift from the workings below.

There was only one incline, from the main level to the upper level, and boats could be manhandled from the upper to Walkden maintenance yard. The two lower levels had smaller boats, and these were raised or lowered vertically up and down shafts, The coal was carried in baskets or tubs which were raised up the same shafts. A contemporary French drawing of the incline is below.

French drawing.jpg