TV Ariel

snappytd

Featured Posts

All depends on how close to the transmitting mast you are.

Do a search. There are loads of threads. One was about 10 days ago. There are usually on thread per month asking the same question. Read the dozen threads from last year and you cant go wrong.

11 hours ago, Dr Bob said:

All depends on how close to the transmitting mast you are.

Do a search. There are loads of threads. One was about 10 days ago. There are usually on thread per month asking the same question. Read the dozen threads from last year and you cant go wrong.

Unless you speel it worng, that is!

Dear OP, search for "aerial", not "ariel".

31 minutes ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

Unless you speel it worng, that is!

Dear OP, search for "aerial", not "ariel".

I note from the OPs other posts that he is in Ventor marina. So that means you are in a marginal area once you start moving. Not sure what ventor is like itself but once you go a mile east - to Willow wren then you will find the 'small' antennas dont work well and log periodic is needed. It is then patchy all the way down to Warwick were even a log periodic doesnt work. To the west ie down to Braunston, I find a moonraker does work most of the time but a much stronger signal on the log periodic.

In all these cases you are beaming at the big transmitter at Sutton Coldfield which is 40Km away.

Personally I would get a small log periodic if spending a lot of time between Napton and Warwick (£10 from argos).

6 minutes ago, Dr Bob said:

I note from the OPs other posts that he is in Ventor marina. So that means you are in a marginal area once you start moving. Not sure what ventor is like itself but once you go a mile east - to Willow wren then you will find the 'small' antennas dont work well and log periodic is needed. It is then patchy all the way down to Warwick were even a log periodic doesnt work. To the west ie down to Braunston, I find a moonraker does work most of the time but a much stronger signal on the log periodic.

In all these cases you are beaming at the big transmitter at Sutton Coldfield which is 40Km away.

Personally I would get a small log periodic if spending a lot of time between Napton and Warwick (£10 from argos).

Is it possible yet to watch normal live BBC/ITV/Ch4 telly using a broadband internet connection?

Just now, Mike the Boilerman said:

Thanks!

On a proper telly, or does one have to do it on a computer? 

An "internet telly" or wifi telly? Does such a thing exist?

As far as I know (which is not all that far) you can get the program on you computer and 'cast' it to a smart TV. I have seen this done but don't understand the details. Someone will be along shortly I expect.

2 minutes ago, frahkn said:

As far as I know (which is not all that far) you can get the program on you computer and 'cast' it to a smart TV. I have seen this done but don't understand the details. Someone will be along shortly I expect.

Sounds  FAR too komperlicated for a simple plummer like me to grasp.....

6 minutes ago, Dr Bob said:

You can do it on a telly that can get catch up TV or cast from a puter.

We have given up with our TV antenna and just use the internet connected to the TV or the satellite dish.

Ok so my up to the minute nine-year-old telly (with missing manual) seems an unlikely candidate to be able to do this....?

1 hour ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

Ok so my up to the minute nine-year-old telly (with missing manual) seems an unlikely candidate to be able to do this....?

Mike,

Possibly not - OTOH I've got a couple of Samsung teles that are about 5 years old (bought them as cheap PC monitors)  and they 'do internet'. Never really bothered as our old wet string internet was soooo slow. NOW we have full fibre internet and everything's whizzy.

Have a look at the back and see whether yours has an UTP socket on the back...

Mike

1 hour ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

Is it possible yet to watch normal live BBC/ITV/Ch4 telly using a broadband internet connection?

Yes but not at Ventnor the phone signal is to weak, may work a bit by bridge 100 on way to braunston but won't work there or at crick. That area seems to be on the edge from all sides as phone suppliers and broadcasters cover Birmingham, Coventry, Leicester Northampton etc.