Getting diesel?

Featured Posts

Hi, just wondering where would be the best place to get diesel from whilst cruising the network?

I'm aware of fuel boats. But at the moment i'm not in a place where a fuel boat is going to be reaching anytime soon. 

I'm going towards the grand union canal and heading north from London. Will there be places along the way where I can fill up with diesel? 

Thanks

2 minutes ago, WalkerWalker92 said:

I'm going towards the grand union canal and heading north from London. Will there be places along the way where I can fill up with diesel?

So why do you say....

But at the moment i'm not in a place where a fuel boat is going to be reaching anytime soon.

There are certainly fuel boats operating where you say you are.

Alternatively there are quite a few boatyards that will do it, though some may well be significantly more expensive than the fuel boats.

a number of boatyards, hire bases (Leighton Buzzard springs to mind) and as you travel you should pass a fuel boat as well - I would suggest you fill right up and then keep topped up but you should be fine unless you are already empty - I think there is a marina on the Paddington arm nr the GU end 

Sounds like this might be your first trip - make sure you enjoy it

Edited by Halsey

8 minutes ago, WalkerWalker92 said:

Hi, just wondering where would be the best place to get diesel from whilst cruising the network?

I'm aware of fuel boats. But at the moment i'm not in a place where a fuel boat is going to be reaching anytime soon. 

Thanks

Get a copy of the 2020 Waterways World Annual, it's all in there.

JULES FUELS - SOUTHERN DIVISION

Spring is on its way, but we're due a cold snap so it looks like winter hasn't completely finished with us. Our schedule for the coming weeks:

17/03/2020 Tuesday - Northchurch to Pinkhouse
18/03/2020 Wednesday - Pinkhouse to Apsley
19/03/2020 Thursday - Apsley to Nash Mills
20/03/2020 Friday - Nash to Grove
21/03/2020 Saturday - Grove to Common Moor
22/03/2020 Sunday - Common Moor to Ricky
23/03/2020 Monday - Ricky to Springwell
24/03/2020 Tuesday - Springwell to Harefield
25/03/2020 Wednesday - Harefield to Cowley
26/03/2020 Thursday - Cowley to Packet Boat
27/03/2020 Friday - Closed
28/03/2020 Saturday - Closed
29/03/2020 Sunday - Cowley to Springwell
30/03/2020 Monday - Springwell to Ricky
31/03/2020 Tuesday - Ricky to Croxley

Drop us a text if you need anything on 07596 420220.

All dates are subject to change.
Please make sure to include your boat name with your order and ensure your boat name is visible from both sides, if your boat name can't be clearly seen at 10 feet we may not find you.

Cheers,
Andrew and Nick

6 minutes ago, Halsey said:

I would suggest you fill right up and then keep topped up but you should be fine unless you are already empty

In these uncertain times it's a good idea to keep topped up at every opportunity.

The next marina might be closed, the tanker driver in isolation, or the due fuel boat may be "off ill".

North of that is Jules herself,  then Ryan on Southern Cross, then maybe Mark on Callisto.

Boatyards with fuel at Aylesbury, Leighton Buzzard, Milton Keynes, Thrupp, Baxters, Gayton, Tarrys, Rugby Boat Sales, Weedon Boatyard, Whilton, Braunston, Welton Hythe, Crick, Yelvertoft, north Kilworth , Napton/Calcutt.....

25 minutes ago, matty40s said:

North of that is Jules herself,  then Ryan on Southern Cross, then maybe Mark on Callisto.

Boatyards with fuel at Aylesbury, Leighton Buzzard, Milton Keynes, Thrupp, Baxters, Gayton, Tarrys, Rugby Boat Sales, Weedon Boatyard, Whilton, Braunston, Welton Hythe, Crick, Yelvertoft, north Kilworth , Napton/Calcutt.....

I think the OP has his answer!

• Happy 1

41 minutes ago, matty40s said:

Is that all?

No wonder the OP is worried.

7 hours ago, WalkerWalker92 said:

Thanks

Why not look in your on board canal guide - either Nicholsons or Pearsons - both of which show boatyards, marinas etc. I presume you have one on board seeing that you are already cruising, but I must say I am surprised you hadn't thought of this before you set off. 

Howard

1 hour ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

You missed off Napton Narrowboats, and Wigwams... 

And I never understood why that petrol station backing onto the cut near Weedon doesn't sell anything and everything to boats...

You mean that Romanian car wash and car sales place...

I would take care filling up at Marinas, you really want to use somewhere which has a high turnover in fuel and adds a suitable additive (costs a few pence more per litre) Jules fuels are good on both counts.

It was suggested above that there is diesel fuel in Aylesbury.    There is none in the town basin and the fuel at Circus Field can only be sold to members.  

I do not think Bates boatyard has fuel (except perhaps firewood)  but I am not certain.

N

25 minutes ago, LEO said:

I would take care filling up at Marinas, you really want to use somewhere which has a high turnover in fuel and adds a suitable additive (costs a few pence more per litre) Jules fuels are good on both counts.

Good advice. I ususualy use a fuel boat when out and about to keep them going otherwise I pick hire bases that have a constant turn over of fuel.