Central Heating Systems

Gilsteamin

Featured Posts

Need ideas as was planning to install a Hurricane. We currently have a gravity feed Old English stove type with back boiler. Very temperamental. Also thinking Squirrel multi fuel stove with back boiler so it can be plumbed straight onto our current system. 

Any thoughts and especially experiences guys please. Thank you. 

14 minutes ago, Gilsteamin said:

Need ideas as was planning to install a Hurricane. We currently have a gravity feed Old English stove type with back boiler. Very temperamental. Also thinking Squirrel multi fuel stove with back boiler so it can be plumbed straight onto our current system. 

Any thoughts and especially experiences guys please. Thank you. 

First of all, decide what fuel you want it to be. 

Or is this what you are asking for advice on?

9 minutes ago, Gilsteamin said:

Multi fuel if possible. Coal and wood. 

So where does a Hurricane fit in? Isn't that diesel? Never even seen one actually, so don't know

Yes the Quirrel is the best of the best where multi-fuel stoves are concerned, in my personal experience. Some here will criticise them but mainly due to the high price and the fact they fail after 20 years! ?

First thing to do is look up the heat output of your existing stove, and compare that with a Squirrel....

Yeh, the hurricane is diesel as is our current system. Many people recommend squirrel and to be honest I’d love to get away from diesel systems. Current output from ours is awful and it can’t be used in windy conditions as there’s lots of blowback. 

Thanks for your advice. Very much appreciated and very helpful. 

50 minutes ago, Gilsteamin said:

Yeh, the hurricane is diesel as is our current system. Many people recommend squirrel and to be honest I’d love to get away from diesel systems. Current output from ours is awful and it can’t be used in windy conditions as there’s lots of blowback. 

We have a hurricane, it is excellent on output, performance and ease of servicing, but is a bit noisy so have this in mind re siting, if you can’t put any sound insulation in.

54 minutes ago, Gilsteamin said:

Oh! I was letting myself be misled by the term 'gravity fed'. To me as a heating bod, that term is associated with solid fuel central heating boilers, gravity fed with stuff like anthracite from a hopper. E.G the Trianco TRG. A boiler than has been in continuous production for about 40 years!

https://trianco.co.uk/trg-boiler

1 hour ago, Gilsteamin said:

I had a hurricane on this boat, it was very good but very noisey. It went tits up and I replaced with webasto and fitted a Squirrel. NOTHING beats a squirrell. Multi fuel that is!!

Edited by mrsmelly

3 hours ago, Gilsteamin said:

Just talking now, we may just fit two Squirrels. One back end, one up front. Boom!!!

Good idea to keep them as far apart as possible. Squirrels are very territorial and will fight if too close together. Squirrel stoves on the other hand are much better behaved. Got one on my boat. You don't say how big your boat is. If a normalish inland narrow, or wide beam, then two 4.5 to 5kW stoves will be too much. Better to have one stove more centrally placed. Stoves tend to get clarted up with soot if not worked hard some of the time. Spring and Autumn are the worst times for this, with the stove stopped right down for days on end. If you have two stoves you'll likely never exercise them properly and they won't like it. Gravity circulation radiators mean no pump running all the time the fire is lit, so no noise and no electricity consumption. OK, I've just recommended what I've got on my boat.

Jen