Provisions

mrsmelly

Featured Posts

2 minutes ago, ditchcrawler said:

Interestingly an interview with the staff at an A&E department in a London hospital said they were quieter than normal as the "time wasters" (my words) were staying away 

Thats at least good news. 

1 hour ago, Jennifer McM said:

Think this is good news too....

Horse, bolt and all that...

It was reported on the news on the 19th that Jhoots were claiming ‘a misunderstanding’ and had already reduced their prices and offered a refund to anyone who had paid the inflated price. 

So I don’t really see what The Competition and Markets Authority are expected to do?

1 hour ago, Jennifer McM said:

No provisions?  Then don't expect Ronald McDonald to help you out.

Life's just 'got real' for some

We did find it interesting that they were staying open right until the government took over 80% of their wage bill if they had to close.

Pret a Manger did the same - last week all their staff were on 75% wages at Pret's expense, now they are all on 80% wages at the government's expense.

If HM Government are not taking a slice of equity in all these companies, then they have missed a trick. 

1% per week whilst we are paying your staff salaries, so this time next year we own 52% of your voting stock ...

15 minutes ago, TheBiscuits said:

If HM Government are not taking a slice of equity in all these companies, then they have missed a trick. 

1% per week whilst we are paying your staff salaries, so this time next year we own 52% of your voting stock ...

And then they just let most of their staff go instead, which is precisely what the government is trying to avoid...

7 hours ago, WotEver said:

It was reported on the news on the 19th that Jhoots were claiming ‘a misunderstanding’ and had already reduced their prices and offered a refund to anyone who had paid the inflated price. 

So I don’t really see what The Competition and Markets Authority are expected to do?

Would imagine this is a 'shot across the bow' so to speak. A reminder that businesses taking advantage of the crisis won't be tolerated. 

I wonder how many dodgy businesses changed their tack since the news report?

10 hours ago, ditchcrawler said:

Interestingly an interview with the staff at an A&E department in a London hospital said they were quieter than normal as the "time wasters" (my words) were staying away 

That's because the pubs are closed...…………..IMHO we will learn a lot about our "society" over the next 6 months - I'm not suggesting it will inform and change but it will be interesting

• Greenie 2

8 hours ago, WotEver said:

Jhoots did what they did and must be held to account.  If I drive past a speed camera at 20mph over the limit, then drive past the next day below the limit, it doesn’t make it right.

Retailers need to be aware that action will be taken (though maybe not for some time) if they abuse the situation.

As to “Horse, bolt” I don’t agree, firm action now will deter others from doing the same, otherwise the poor will really suffer, and I don’t want that.

• Greenie 1

34 minutes ago, Chewbacka said:

Retailers need to be aware that action will be taken (though maybe not for some time) if they abuse the situation.

Technical question. What action is open to the govt to take, please? What law(s) has this chemist broken by profiteering?

I agree they have been anti-social and greedy, but as far as I know, that is not illegal. Yet. 

33 minutes ago, Chewbacka said:

Jhoots did what they did and must be held to account.  If I drive past a speed camera at 20mph over the limit, then drive past the next day below the limit, it doesn’t make it right.

As to “Horse, bolt” I don’t agree, firm action now will deter others from doing the same, otherwise the poor will really suffer, and I don’t want that.

But if Jhoots say ‘Sorry, some managers misunderstood a memo and we corrected it as soon as we realised’ which is what they’ve already said, I don’t see what ‘firm action’ can be taken. 

I do agree that it sends a strong message to any others who might have considered doing likewise. 

We use a Dettol floor cleaning product that’s called “Spray & Wipe” and we’re running short, so I looked around online to see if anyone had any stock. It normally retails at about a quid. The only suppliers I found were on eBay: one at £28 for a bottle and one at £83!  We’re now using other products for the time being...

3 minutes ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

Technical question. What action is open to the govt to take, please? What law(s) has this chemist broken by profiteering?

I agree they have been anti-social and greedy, but as far as I know, that is not illegal. Yet. 

I’d be interested in the answer to this too. 

37 minutes ago, Jennifer McM said:

It doesn’t appear to. I wonder if there is any existing legislation that covers profiteering. 

11 hours ago, WotEver said:

This tweet apared on Facebook, I don't know if its genuine or not 

Capture.JPG

13 hours ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

Curious now. What law is being broken in our market economy?

I agree it's immoral, but is it really illegal?

The letter is carefully drafted as it relies on the action being one that abuses a dominant market position rather than being immoral.

43 minutes ago, ditchcrawler said:

This tweet apared on Facebook, I don't know if its genuine or not 

I believe that may be the memo that they stated had ‘been misunderstood’. Yes, prices had increased, but not tenfold. 

4 minutes ago, Mike Todd said:

The letter is carefully drafted as it relies on the action being one that abuses a dominant market position rather than being immoral.

Interesting reading but given a quick scan I’m unsure if it applies

https://assets.publishing.service.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/284422/oft402.pdf

10 minutes ago, Mike Todd said:

Well I've never heard of Jhoots before, so I suspect it may be difficult to argue they are big enough to have a "dominant market position".

7 minutes ago, WotEver said:

I believe that may be the memo that they stated had ‘been misunderstood’. Yes, prices had increased, but not tenfold. 

Interesting reading but given a quick scan I’m unsure if it applies

https://assets.publishing.service.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/284422/oft402.pdf

I was not taking a view on whether the argument was correct but suggesting that comments need to be addressed to that argument not one that does not have a legal element. Still worth taking the moral high ground though. You never know when Noah's Ark might be needed again and being on high ground is a great idea.

1 minute ago, David Mack said:

Well I've never heard of Jhoots before, so I suspect it may be difficult to argue they are big enough to have a "dominant market position".

Mr Rattener if that is how you spell his name comes to mind 

We have just tried the new Tesco 9 to 10 a.m. happy hour; as I am of pensionable age and Mrs. Athy is classed as a key worker, we both qualify.

I must say it was a quite pleasant experience. The shop was fairly lightly peopled, principally by those from the "prioriry" groups. There were a few gaps on the shelves but we got almost everything we required (I noticed that there was hardly any pasta except lasagne sheets but we didn't need any). There was ample fresh produce and milk, for example.

At the checkouts, there were supervisory staff but they didn't seem to be needed; people were voluntarily standing six feet or so apart, and everyone was good-natured. So, well done Tesco of Wisbech.

Just now, Jennifer McM said:

If this wasn't so serious.... this would be hilarious. Panic before McDonald closes.

So the closure of MuckDonald';s should improve the health of the nation in more than one way.