Provisions

mrsmelly

Featured Posts

It looks as if this is going to be a long haul, a lot longer then perishable items will store. It is also looks like production of food and essentials, such as toilet paper, will carry on. So the hoarders once their pantries, bathrooms and fridges are full will have to shrink their purchasing back to the level of their consumption. 

I'm only sharing to try to gain perspective............

Is it just me/us (UK), sitting here in semi isolation this whole thing about food is really bugging me - it seems to be the biggest thing we are all worrying about/talking about and its entirely our fault - as far as we are told by everyone there isn't a shortage of anything - our market town shops are pretty much business as normal but our one big supermarket isn't!.

Is it just a "newsworthy" problem inside the M25??

How/when do others think its going to come to an end - I cant see it and yet logic says each household can only store so much - we aren't eating any more or using anything differently apart from washing products...…………….

Is it just "diversion" therapy because we cant face the virus stats every day?

Are other countries having the same issues France Canada Australia???

Not a rant this time - a genuine question...………………….as it feels as though we wont beat/kill this virus until that's what we talk about and not the lifestyle side effects 

Edited by Halsey

1 hour ago, Halsey said:

Is it just me/us (UK), sitting here in semi isolation this whole thing about food is really bugging me - it seems to be the biggest thing we are all worrying about/talking about and its entirely our fault - as far as we are told by everyone there isn't a shortage of anything - our market town shops are pretty much business as normal but our one big supermarket isn't!.

Same here, this is bugging me too. 

Around here the food situation is getting worse, not better. I too thought just wait a week or two and people's cupboards and freezers will be overflowing but no, Tesco and Waitrose are getting more sparsely stocked every time I go into one. I've not been able to buy bread, flour, eggs, bog roll, tissues in any shop here now for about two weeks or three weeks  and now milk and butter have disappeared too, and none of that is showing the slightest sign of changing. Tesco here has even sold out of all brands of tonic water now and I doubt people are bulk-buying that, so I suspect something else is going on we don't know about. 

1 hour ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

Same here, this is bugging me too. 

Around here the food situation is getting worse, not better. I too thought just wait a week or two and people's cupboards and freezers will be overflowing but no, Tesco and Waitrose are getting more sparsely stocked every time I go into one. I've not been able to buy bread, flour, eggs, bog roll, tissues in any shop here now for about two weeks or three weeks  and now milk and butter have disappeared too, and none of that is showing the slightest sign of changing. Tesco here has even sold out of all brands of tonic water now and I doubt people are bulk-buying that, so I suspect something else is going on we don't know about. 

From what I read yesterday its not so much people overshopping causing these issues, (though if you are told that there is a high probability of ending up on 2 week or longer lockdown why would you have only 2 days food in the house?) The problem is more that up until a few days ago 35% of food was eaten out in restaurants and presumably came via wholesalers. Now it is not so we are all trying to buy 50% more food in Sainsburys and Tesco just to stay in the same position let alone hoard. They cant cope.

(FWIW we ourselves  have no more than a few days food in the house we have no room for more!)

• Greenie 2

9 minutes ago, Phoenix_V said:

The problem is more that up until a few days ago 35% of food was eaten out in restaurants and presumably came via wholesalers. Now it is not so we are all trying to buy 50% more food in Sainsburys and Tesco just to stay in the same position let alone hoard. They cant cope.

Ah now that seems a rational explanation, although I rather doubt the 35% figure. I doubt even 1% of my food intake happens via restaurants and takeaways - not by quantity anyway. By price, possibly.

Odd that I didn't think of this as the other day I was just musing about how the business models of the two big restaurant suppliers 3663 and <can't remember the other one> are being trashed as I sat next to one of their lorries in a traffic queue....

• Greenie 1

10 hours ago, Halsey said:

I'm only sharing to try to gain perspective............

Is it just a "newsworthy" problem inside the M25??

How/when do others think its going to come to an end - I cant see it and yet logic says each household can only store so much - we aren't eating any more or using anything differently apart from washing products...…………….

Is it just "diversion" therapy because we cant face the virus stats every day?

Are other countries having the same issues France Canada Australia???

Not a rant this time - a genuine question...………………….as it feels as though we wont beat/kill this virus until that's what we talk about and not the lifestyle side effects 

Australia had problems with loo rolls before we did, just read some of the comments from Tom http://narrowboat-waiouru.blogspot.com/2020/03/another-completed-and-aussie-humour.html

Edited by ditchcrawler

4 minutes ago, nbfiresprite said:

Down here, either the panic buying is subsiding or Waitrose have ramped up their supply chains at last. The former I'm guessing, as the Waitrose here was spookily empty at 1pm today.

I was able to buy eggs, bread, kitchen roll and milk, none of which were on the shelves when I last went in, on Friday (I think it was).

Still no flour of any description, or chickens, but quite a bit of expensive fresh meat and sausages was in the chiller cabinets. 

But the most noticeable thing was how few shoppers were in there. Lat weekend it was rammed and stripped bare! Meybe they have all finally filled their cupboards....

1 hour ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

Down here, either the panic buying is subsiding or Waitrose have ramped up their supply chains at last. The former I'm guessing, as the Waitrose here was spookily empty at 1pm today.

I was able to buy eggs, bread, kitchen roll and milk, none of which were on the shelves when I last went in, on Friday (I think it was).

Still no flour of any description, or chickens, but quite a bit of expensive fresh meat and sausages was in the chiller cabinets. 

But the most noticeable thing was how few shoppers were in there. Lat weekend it was rammed and stripped bare! Meybe they have all finally filled their cupboards....

They were all out climbing Snowdon

• Haha 1
  • Unimpressed 1