Fly Screen in mushroom vents...

Featured Posts

Hi All

I'm looking to stop pests getting into the boat (anything that doesn't have a key!) and notice that the mushroom vents seem a firm favourite for bugs. Looking around I can see I can get mesh that would help with this but not sure on fixings so wondered what others have done?   Is it best to get a plastic mesh and secure it in the vent tunnel with a circular bent wire, or best to get metal mesh that can form to hold itself?  or something else... what works for you??  thanks!!

Someone makes a pull blind to fit caravan Houdini, seen lots fitted on boats.

We buy a kit from Aldi(where else), for windows or doors, which we cut down for various vents and openings, it's a white or black mesh secured by stick on velcro strip.

Edited by matty40s

1 hour ago, robtheplod said:

Hi All

I'm looking to stop pests getting into the boat (anything that doesn't have a key!) and notice that the mushroom vents seem a firm favourite for bugs. Looking around I can see I can get mesh that would help with this but not sure on fixings so wondered what others have done?   Is it best to get a plastic mesh and secure it in the vent tunnel with a circular bent wire, or best to get metal mesh that can form to hold itself?  or something else... what works for you??  thanks!!

Must admit, I took the metal mesh out of my mushroom vents, so no recommendations, just things to keep in mind. Whatever you fit needs to be easily accessible and removable for cleaning, otherwise it will get blocked by dust and the bodies of bugs that have died trying to get in. BSS inspectors will downrate the cm2 area of your vents by 50% or so if they see a mesh in them. Advisory for private boats, so not a huge issue. Personally I don't mind the occasional small spider abseiling through the mushroom vents to eat the bugs that have flown in. I do object to the hairy dinner plate sized spiders though!

Jen

1 hour ago, robtheplod said:

Hi All

Hi Rob, may not be much use, more of a heads up.  I sandwiched stainless gauze between the vent and the roof, as the boat was being built.  Thing was I was aware that doing this would prevent any way to use the "adjustment" feature, built into some vents.

Having said that, it's never been a problem and I'd do the same again.

3 minutes ago, Jen-in-Wellies said:

Must admit, I took the metal mesh out of my mushroom vents, so no recommendations, just things to keep in mind. Whatever you fit needs to be easily accessible and removable for cleaning, otherwise it will get blocked by dust and the bodies of bugs that have died trying to get in. BSS inspectors will downrate the cm2 area of your vents by 50% or so if they see a mesh in them. Advisory for private boats, so not a huge issue. Personally I don't mind the occasional small spider abseiling through the mushroom vents to eat the bugs that have flown in. I do object to the hairy dinner plate sized spiders though!

Jen

Some good points and I've just been to peer up all of my vents.  After 7 years there is some dust, what look like a few midges and just one, maybe two spiders.  Looks like I'll be organising an airline.

I bought some computer fan finger guards on eBay and bend the 4 ‘legs’ up so it spring fits into the vent ‘tube’.  This stops the big insects, easy to lay a circle of mesh onto the guard if you want a finer pitch.  Easy to take out for cleaning as a ‘fine’ mesh will block in a year or three.

• Greenie 1

Hi I made a liner out of stainless steel mesh and also fitted it in the vent cover  over some very fine mesh so I can take the vent off and clean all the spiders webs out while keeping all the insects out , hope you can see in the picture , I made these fly screen out of a normal pull roller blind , I took the material off and replaced it with fine mesh drilled out some small holes 10mm and stuck some magnets in the wood that runs through the bottom of the blinds, then stuck two metal strips for the magnets to stick to , this is to stop the blind from swinging out 

IMG_0015.JPG

IMG_0017.JPG

IMG_0018.JPG