Dismantling an Epping query

Featured Posts

I need to get the top plate off my Epping. I’ve found the two screws at the front but can’t find any others. The only photo I’ve seen shows them behind the brass pan rail supports either side but I can’t find them on mine. 
Any advice on this - and other likely issues? Thanks

Forget the first part - I’ve managed to get the brass posts off and they are secured through the plate. I think it may have been a mod?
But any other general dismantling advice gratefully received. 

1 minute ago, springy said:

There should be four - top to side plates, two 2"- 3" from the front and two 2"- 3" from the back.

N.B. Fullbourne's site has an excellent full set of rebuild pictures.

http://www.fulbourne.org.uk/index.php/miscellaneous/miscellaneous-2

springy

That was what I’ve been working from but as I’ve discovered mine seems different. Cheers anyway. 

I’ve got the top screws undone/drilled out but the top is still stuck fast. Any tips anyone? I fear it would be easy to break it. 

Edited by starman

The good news is I finally got the top off. The bad news is the top of the oven us split in two (not by me) which looks like a complete dismantling job to replace (with a non-existent part no doubt). 

D006EB93-E0B6-4C03-B18C-D9082F79C834.jpeg

9A169BF8-A979-4476-B80F-183C22F74ACD.jpeg

12 minutes ago, plato said:

I’m pretty sure that can be welded. 
I’ve had bits of my Epping welded successfully. 

It will certainly be worth a try - if I can get everything apart without finding (or causing) any more damage. 

• 3 weeks later...

The Epping is in bits! Surprisingly straightforward really  though I had to drill out most of the fixing bolts. 
I’m making a list of the bits in good order...it’s depressingly short.

The list of damaged ones is depressingly long: the top, the flue box, an oven casting, three of the four firebricks, the grate, one foot. 
I think I’ll store everything out of sight and wait until the virus plague is over. 

1 hour ago, springy said:

The top, flue box, firebricks & grate I would expect, what happened to the foot ?

springy

Snapped across the bolt hole - possibly over tensioned sometime. I’ve got the broken bit.  Not a problem compared to the other stuff. 

1 hour ago, cuthound said:

So what did you do to upset it? ???

Swore loudly at it. It’s very sensitive. 

1 hour ago, starman said:

Snapped across the bolt hole - possibly over tensioned sometime. I’ve got the broken bit.  Not a problem compared to the other stuff. 

Swore loudly at it. It’s very sensitive. 

So that's how the foot broke, after you upset it, the poor thing threw a tantrum and stamped its foot too hard. ???