A 1984 Query

Heartland

Featured Posts

The following image was published in Waterways World as a result of a find at the Black Country Museum. The location was the subject of the enquiry. Was anything decided. I wonder. The boats on the right have distinctive bows.

Wharf.jpg

• Greenie 1

I think this is almost certainly the cottages at Tusses Bridge, Coventry (north Oxford canal), photographed before the bridge was widened in the 1920's/30's.

The buildings are very traditional Warwickshire in style and detailing (the diaper pattern brickwork is very distinctive) and the form of the buildings match (the row of cottages to the left were demolished in the 1970's/80's, but the two nearest the canalside survive, though rendered and with different windows.

Here it is on Google streetview:

https://goo.gl/maps/8XJEyDy4E6vH425v7

• Greenie 4

What a superb and convincing answer. I’d never really considered the history of the bridge but it clearly isn’t the original and it bears the hallmarks of a big lump of reinforced concrete. I note that the power station was opened in 1928 and the improvements to the bridge were probably related to the construction or operation of the power station.

JP

12 hours ago, Captain Pegg said:

What a superb and convincing answer. I’d never really considered the history of the bridge but it clearly isn’t the original and it bears the hallmarks of a big lump of reinforced concrete. I note that the power station was opened in 1928 and the improvements to the bridge were probably related to the construction or operation of the power station.

JP

Thanks very much JP. I think with any of us if we know an area well we recognise a location almost instinctively without many clues. I can't guarantee it's Tusses as I can't find any other photos, but think there's a good chance that it is. I've read somewhere the date of the bridge's rebuilding -I think it might be 1927 and there might be a date stone on the bridge somewhere. 

Looking at the Ordnance Survey maps the buildings on the off-side of the canal on the Hawkesbury side of Tusses Bridge the image above fits with what has been suggested.

A modern image shows the two cottages at Tusses Bridge

Tusses bridge.jpg

The replacement bridge was later than 1927. The Coventry Evening Telegraph September 20th, 1935 offered tenders for the new bridge.

Edited by Heartland

The folks in the photo then are likely to be the Sephton family and possibly some of the Simpson’s who married into the Sephton family in two generations and who also had a family home at Tusses Bridge. Both were originally boating families, the former latterly becoming boat builders.

JP

7 hours ago, Heartland said:

Looking at the Ordnance Survey maps the buildings on the off-side of the canal on the Hawkesbury side of Tusses Bridge the image above fits with what has been suggested.

A modern image shows the two cottages at Tusses Bridge

Tusses bridge.jpg

The replacement bridge was later than 1927. The Coventry Evening Telegraph September 20th, 1935 offered tenders for the new bridge.

He was collecting cars then

• 3 months later...
On 21/03/2020 at 19:13, Captain Pegg said:

The folks in the photo then are likely to be the Sephton family and possibly some of the Simpson’s who married into the Sephton family in two generations and who also had a family home at Tusses Bridge. Both were originally boating families, the former latterly becoming boat builders.

JP

A bit of local family history https://forum.historiccoventry.co.uk/main/forum-posts.php?id=39916

Not too sure how the modern pictures match the original. Could the original picture show the towpath side?

14 hours ago, MartinC said:

A bit of local family history https://forum.historiccoventry.co.uk/main/forum-posts.php?id=39916

Not too sure how the modern pictures match the original. Could the original picture show the towpath side?

The house concerned is located on the offside to the south east of the bridge. The original picture shows the north western and south western elevations of the building. Click the link in post #2 for a comparison of the building with the original picture. The photos in posts #5 and #10 show the south eastern elevation of the house.

JP

Edited by Captain Pegg