Shardlow to the Erewash

speedypete202

Featured Posts

I hope this is the right place for this.

Currently moored at Shardlow looking to head up the Erewash tomorrow so need to have a quick cruise down the Trent - I had a wander down to the river earlier and it was exactly on the line between yellow and red. Further wanderings down to Derwent mouth did not reveal anything too terrifying but I am just wondering if anyone can give me any info on the state of things further down. Wondering if I can get into Sawley OK as I remember there are flood gates. 

Any help would be appreciated :)

There is a flood lock at Sawley which I expect to be in use. The flood gates at Cranfleet were open this afternoon - you don't need to go throught them as you will be turning onto the Erewash at Trent Lock. The Trent does appear to be falling slowly. If you do decide to go keep to the south side of the river beyond the pipe bridge as the pull from the large weir at Sawley will be strong. Also when you join the river from the lock cut at Shardlow expect your boat to do odd things as the flows from the Trent and Derwent merge.

• Greenie 1

14 minutes ago, speedypete202 said:

I hope this is the right place for this.

Currently moored at Shardlow looking to head up the Erewash tomorrow so need to have a quick cruise down the Trent - I had a wander down to the river earlier and it was exactly on the line between yellow and red. Further wanderings down to Derwent mouth did not reveal anything too terrifying but I am just wondering if anyone can give me any info on the state of things further down. Wondering if I can get into Sawley OK as I remember there are flood gates. 

Any help would be appreciated 

Edit, beaten to it.

Edited by The Happy Nomad

Thank you for this

Might be interesting then, I have heard all sorts of stories about Derwent Mouth and looking at it this afternoon the currents were very peculiar. 

Thanks for the advice RE navigation at Sawley!

I wasn't aware one could check this? Do I need to ring them or is it an online jobby?

4 minutes ago, speedypete202 said:

Thank you for this

Might be interesting then, I have heard all sorts of stories about Derwent Mouth and looking at it this afternoon the currents were very peculiar. 

Thanks for the advice RE navigation at Sawley!

I wasn't aware one could check this? Do I need to ring them or is it an online jobby?

If the flood lock is closed to navigation you can check on line.

But its likely its not at the mo.

Edit, if it was I dont believe you would get past Derwent mouth onto the river section.

Edited by The Happy Nomad

1 hour ago, Nightwatch said:

Not sure what your plans are. I had a stoppage notice today. Regarding the Erewash Canal just north of Gallows lock. There’s a large tree blocking the navigation. If you’re not going that far then ignore me.

It is part of our yard plans for "social distancing"......?

• Greenie 2

14 hours ago, Nightwatch said:

Not sure what your plans are. I had a stoppage notice today. Regarding the Erewash Canal just north of Gallows lock. There’s a large tree blocking the navigation. If you’re not going that far then ignore me.

Tree now removed, so problem fixed ...

• Greenie 1