Marina pump out facilities may close due to Coronavirus

Grassman

Featured Posts

It's only a rumour but apparently a marina in South Staffordshire near Fradley is considering suspending their toilet pump out operation and serving fuel to boaters due to the Coronavirus.  Surely this is the height of paranoia? 

This could have serious consequences especially for liveaboards if other marinas follow suit.

8 minutes ago, Grassman said:

It's only a rumour but apparently a marina in South Staffordshire near Fradley is considering suspending their toilet pump out operation and serving fuel to boaters due to the Coronavirus.  Surely this is the height of paranoia? 

This could have serious consequences especially for liveaboards if other marinas follow suit.

Midland Chandlers have plenty of cassette loos in stock.

MP.

14 minutes ago, Grassman said:

... Surely this is the height of paranoia? 

Yup!

In the States and we are just now starting to see things like this happening here. My Dentist cancelled my visit, has to close except for urgent needs. I understand but people are going to go full on panic as they keep tightening things up.

34 minutes ago, Grassman said:

Perhaps it might be worth giving them a ring to find out if there is any substance to the 'rumour' and post back.

One of the biggest problems of the current situation in all aspects of life (not just boating) is unsubstantiated rumour being posted on the internet.

1 hour ago, Kudzucraft said:

Yup!

In the States and we are just now starting to see things like this happening here. My Dentist cancelled my visit, has to close except for urgent needs. I understand but people are going to go full on panic as they keep tightening things up.

People are already there, at least in this country. Hence the hoarding and that troops have been put on standby ostensibly to drive oxygen trucks to hospitals. Yeah yeah pull the other one BOJO.

3 hours ago, Grassman said:

There is at least one fuel boat that covers that area.  Halsall was with us today, pumped both tanks, filled the diesel, swapped the gas and loaded the roof with coal. Job done and ready to go.  Neither they or Alton have any plans of stopping, unless they are forced to by the bug itself...

5 hours ago, Grassman said:

Paranoia is the word. That old fashioned phrase The worlds gone mad has come to fruition. If the worst case scenario hits the UK 250k will die, most of whom are ill already. That means 65 million 750 thousand will not die. Completely bonkers.

• Greenie 1

1 hour ago, mrsmelly said:

Paranoia is the word. That old fashioned phrase The worlds gone mad has come to fruition. If the worst case scenario hits the UK 250k will die, most of whom are ill already. That means 65 million 750 thousand will not die. Completely bonkers.

That is one way of looking at it.  Another, and using your figures, is that one person in every 264, will die of this virus.  If I look at my family, I have two sisters, and if we count me, them, our ascendents and decedents, and all of our partners, there are about 30 of us.  My wife’s family the same.  Thus I have approximately 60 close relatives.  That means that about one in four family networks are going to be attending a funeral sometime soon (or not so soon given the backlog at the undertakers).

Of course you figures, suggest the worst, no one does anything scenario.  Or, in a completely bonkers kind of way, we could all try and do something.

Edited by The Dreamer

1 hour ago, mrsmelly said:

I really don't understand where they got that figure from . The trouble with computer modelling is the old one of garbage in, garbage out. As they have deliberately not got any accurate data, it's rubbish.

Anyway, Johnson says it'll all be over by the end of June, so we can relax. Presumably he's got a holiday booked. 

25 minutes ago, Arthur Marshall said:

I really don't understand where they got that figure from . The trouble with computer modelling is the old one of garbage in, garbage out. As they have deliberately not got any accurate data, it's rubbish.

Anyway, Johnson says it'll all be over by the end of June, so we can relax. Presumably he's got a holiday booked. 

The modelling comes from Imperial College. The link was posted a while back. It clearly explains the assumptions and what could be wrong with them. By looking at the data and the assumptions you can get a feel for the spread of results they come up with. It all looks pretty feasible to one who has worked on models for a significant period during my career.

I thought the number of deaths for unconstrained response was up to 500K dead in 2 years which can be significantly be reducted to 20K to 40K with the right interventions.

As for accurate data, there is a load of accurate data from china and in particular the numbers needing hospital treatment, the numbers needing ITU treatment and the number of deaths. That data is then important to model with as it is accurate. The number of infected peeps is not accurate (due to differences in testing methods or scope) but can be inferred from the other accurate data and the know propogation of viruses.

I think they know what they are talking about.

• Greenie 1

38 minutes ago, Arthur Marshall said:

Anyway, Johnson says it'll all be over by the end of June, so we can relax.

Not quite.  He says the tide will have turned in 12 weeks, so presumably it then needs to record for another 4 months.

Think November, not June if all goes well.

38 minutes ago, Arthur Marshall said:

Presumably he's got a holiday booked. 

Paternity leave actually.

• Greenie 1

I meant to ask in my original thread if you know of any other marinas who are either stopping or considering stopping serving customers? If true it' just seems over the top to me and very unfair on their moorers who are paying the exorbitant fees, many of whom are reliant upon on them. Also any passing boaters who are expecting to get fuel of a pump out.

10 hours ago, TheBiscuits said:

Not quite.  He says the tide will have turned in 12 weeks, so presumably it then needs to record for another 4 months.

Think November, not June if all goes well.

Paternity leave actually.

It all depends how you define a turning tide. The China and SK numbers shows a 3 week rapid rise in infections followed by a 3 week drop to get to a position of infections being at 10 times less than the peak. Deaths seem to lag by another 2-4 weeks. Those regimes imposed strick exclusion zones. If we self isolate then we shouldn't be that different. So by end April we should be on the down curve and peeps will be bored of it by June and things will get back to normal. The Italy data should confirm this in the next few weeks as they are around the peak now. Will their infection rate start declining by the end of next week?

Ambient temp has a huge part to play in this and summer will wipe it out. Singapore, a hot spot in early Feb has it under control. Hong Kong clear and the Philippines, probably one of the worst countries to contain a virus has contained it well....all because the ambient temp is so high.

My money is on a much better position by end April and a low level of cases reported by end June.

Edited by Dr Bob
  • Greenie 1

2 hours ago, Dr Bob said:

It all depends how you define a turning tide. The China and SK numbers shows a 3 week rapid rise in infections followed by a 3 week drop to get to a position of infections being at 10 times less than the peak. Deaths seem to lag by another 2-4 weeks. Those regimes imposed strick exclusion zones. If we self isolate then we shouldn't be that different. So by end April we should be on the down curve and peeps will be bored of it by June and things will get back to normal. The Italy data should confirm this in the next few weeks as they are around the peak now. Will their infection rate start declining by the end of next week?

Ambient temp has a huge part to play in this and summer will wipe it out. Singapore, a hot spot in early Feb has it under control. Hong Kong clear and the Philippines, probably one of the worst countries to contain a virus has contained it well....all because the ambient temp is so high.

My money is on a much better position by end April and a low level of cases reported by end June.

I can’t disagree with this.

• Happy 1

20 hours ago, pete.i said:

People are already there, at least in this country. Hence the hoarding and that troops have been put on standby ostensibly to drive oxygen trucks to hospitals. Yeah yeah pull the other one BOJO.

I have it on good authority that the troops will be used to protect the convoys of toilet roll deliveries. ???

5 hours ago, Dr Bob said:

Sounds perfectly reasonable to me. (The problem is it lacks hysteria and panic inducing language so some may not agree)

2 hours ago, cuthound said:

I have it on good authority that the troops will be used to protect the convoys of toilet roll deliveries. ???

During my army years, the 24 hour ration packs contained four sheets of izal type toilet paper. As such, it was necessary to use it in a economical fashion. There is a way to use a single sheet for each bowel movement, if used correctly.

9 minutes ago, Phil. said:

During my army years, the 24 hour ration packs contained four sheets of izal type toilet paper. As such, it was necessary to use it in a economical fashion. There is a way to use a single sheet for each bowel movement, if used correctly.

Can you demonstrate?

• Haha 1

9 minutes ago, Dr Bob said:

Can you demonstrate?

I don’t plan on producing a how to video, but written instructions can be given, if someone finds their stock of toilet paper is becoming scarce.

Edited by Phil.
Sp
  • Haha 1

During World wars I and II,American foot soldiers were only issued about 10 individual squares of toilet paper to keep backpack weight and volume to a minimum.If a soldier needed to wipe his butt,he would take one square of toilet paper and fold it into quarters. He would then tear out a semicircular portion from the common corner which left a hole in the middle of the paper when unfolded.He would then stick his forefinger through the hole and wipe his ass with the protruding finger. The paper was grasped at the base of the finger with the free hand while the soiled finger was slowly pulled free of the paper.The contaminated square was then discarded and the corner previously removed was used to clean from under the fingernail.

• Greenie 2

21 minutes ago, jake_crew said:

During World wars I and II,American foot soldiers were only issued about 10 individual squares of toilet paper to keep backpack weight and volume to a minimum.If a soldier needed to wipe his butt,he would take one square of toilet paper and fold it into quarters. He would then tear out a semicircular portion from the common corner which left a hole in the middle of the paper when unfolded.He would then stick his forefinger through the hole and wipe his ass with the protruding finger. The paper was grasped at the base of the finger with the free hand while the soiled finger was slowly pulled free of the paper.The contaminated square was then discarded and the corner previously removed was used to clean from under the fingernail.

My father was in the RAF during WW2 & this is exactly what he descibed to me.