Cooking tips required

Tam & Di

Featured Posts

1 hour ago, Halsey said:

Except the prices have gone up substantially, just ordered for my pooches the same order as the last 5 years gone up 15% ---------------why??

In times of hardship greedy businesses will always cease the opportunity to increase profits.

E.g. A chemist chain in Birmingham, £19.99 for a Bottle of Calpol, until panic buying set in, £7 something.

In times like this the “rich” will always look for the opportunity to get richer. An unpleasant side of human nature.

Edited by Ray T

We love a full English at the weekend but I couldn't help as we sat down to a breakfast of dry cured smoked bacon, sausage, black pudding, scrambled eggs, baked mushroom, grilled tomato, beans and toast, thinking that perhaps we should have rationed this as it is becoming rather hard to replenish stocks of some of these items.

I did warn Liam we are not having the same next week!

On 19/03/2020 at 20:09, tree monkey said:

I can't find flour for love nor money at the moment, bread,.self raising, plain or the weirder types including spelt, good job I have a small stock

Oh and no yeast either

I've got both in my cupboard at home. Every time I've tried in the past , breadmaker and in date ingredients I've wound up making a brick. By the time I get to making bread I'll have run out of butter and anything else to make my bread palatable. (in fact, whenever I eat bread I fall asleep, better than a sleeping pill. My GPs response "don't eat bread"  

• Greenie 1

44 minutes ago, Slim said:

I've got both in my cupboard at home. Every time I've tried in the past , breadmaker and in date ingredients I've wound up making a brick. By the time I get to making bread I'll have run out of butter and anything else to make my bread palatable. (in fact, whenever I eat bread I fall asleep, better than a sleeping pill. My GPs response "don't eat bread"  

It's a knack I think, today I made 2 very fine loaves, 1 white and my best to date sour dough, last week both were not exactly photogenic but still worth eating.

The thing is I enjoy it, the whole process, although sour dough is such a contrary arse I have considered throwing the starter away occasionally ;)

I've actually got another loaf on the go using the stale offcuts from last weeks bread, never tried it before so we shall see how it goes

22 minutes ago, TheBiscuits said:

Hah. You finally cracked and put some commercial yeast in it didn't you. :D

Nope ;)

I fed the starter friday night, mixed the dough Sat night, knocked it back Sunday morning and baked it late Sunday.

I did bake it in a tin because I can never get the dough hydration right but the oven rise was still good

Not something you can rush that's for sure, I might cheat next weekend to see how that goes

2 hours ago, Slim said:

Every time I've tried in the past , breadmaker and in date ingredients I've wound up making a brick.   

I retrieved our bread maker from retirement some months ago. But none of the recipes in the book that came with it worked very well, so I looked online for alternatives. After trying a few I found this recipe works pretty well for me.

https://www.bakingmad.com/recipes/bread-dough/brown-and-wholemeal-bread/farmhouse-country-grain-loaf

You can use any breadmaking flour - white, wholemeal, seeded, multigrain etc. For the tepid water I use 50% from the just boiled kettle, 50% from the cold tap. Chuck it all in (water first, yeast last) and bake on the basic bread programme (3 hours) on a light crust setting. Great loaf every time.

1 minute ago, David Mack said:

I retrieved our bread maker from retirement some months ago. But none of the recipes in the book that came with it worked very well, so I looked online for alternatives. After trying a few I found this recipe works pretty well for me.

https://www.bakingmad.com/recipes/bread-dough/brown-and-wholemeal-bread/farmhouse-country-grain-loaf

You can use any breadmaking flour - white, wholemeal, seeded, multigrain etc. For the tepid water I use 50% from the just boiled kettle, 50% from the cold tap. Chuck it all in (water first, yeast last) and bake on the basic bread programme (3 hours) on a light crust setting. Great loaf every time.

I like the 'chuck it all in part of your recipie. You've obviously seen me cook.