Tonic required. Send in your photos of what is nice on the waterways now.

DandV

Featured Posts

4 hours ago, Rob-M said:

I presume given the sign writing it is Paper Mill lock on the Chelmer and Blackwater navigation.

It’s actually Beeleigh Lock below which the Chelmer leaves the navigation over Beeleigh Weir 

On 22/06/2020 at 15:35, Bee said:

One of the very few remaining berrichons, 2013 - somewhere in France.

2013-08-05 10.25.52.jpg

Blue Berry was the home of French waterway historian Charles Berg, who has written a number of books, at least two using his own excellent drawings. He has produced images of all the many closed/disappeared locks, all including a lock keepers daughter in a traditional French manner. His website of French waterways is excellent: http://projetbabel.org/fluvial/index.htm

A new wooden berrichon attended the Festival du Loire last September. It is not this one.

Berrichon.jpg

Edited by Pluto
  • Greenie 2

18 minutes ago, Pluto said:

His website of French waterways is excellent: http://projetbabel.org/fluvial/index.htm

I've not checked to see if it is still available but he used to produce an excellent CD showing all the barge types. The last working Berrichon I know of operated as a bunker ship on the Seine just along from the Quai d'Austerlitz in Paris. We fuelled from it in 1995, but sadly it finished in about 2000.

Tam

2 hours ago, Tam & Di said:

I've not checked to see if it is still available but he used to produce an excellent CD showing all the barge types. The last working Berrichon I know of operated as a bunker ship on the Seine just along from the Quai d'Austerlitz in Paris. We fuelled from it in 1995, but sadly it finished in about 2000.

Tam

I am pretty certain the CD was taken from the boat section of his website. Below is one of Magpie Patrick's photos of the new berrichon when at Orlesn last September.

IMG_5360.jpg

• Greenie 2

26 minutes ago, Pluto said:

Below is one of Magpie Patrick's photos of the new berrichon when at Orlesn last September.

There used to be two retired ex-trading berrichons on the Loire at the end of the short branch from the canal down onto the river at St Thibault, near Sancerre. They had been converted as a restaurant/bar, but were condemned by the local authorities and eventually broken up 15-18 years ago despite efforts to retain them.