Tonic required. Send in your photos of what is nice on the waterways now.

DandV

Featured Posts

5 hours ago, John Liley said:

I remember Michael Streat telling me, when he ran the Braunston complex, that he had a plumber working on something beside the main line when the Belfast came chugging by. The man's jaw dropped open, then he declared "Blimey, they cover some distances, don't they ..."

3 hours ago, David Mack said:

I've had that comment too.

And when you tell people the boat was built by Harland and Wolff, they all think of the shipyard that launched the Titanic (and, as it happens, HMS Belfast).

When I was bringing my boat off the Thames in May 2018 we spent the night tied in the park at Abingdon. As I was tying up an elderly chap who was watching asked me where in Otley I keep the boat as he lives there. He was delighted that my boat was named after his home town, and that its original butty was named after a town close by :captain:

20 minutes ago, PeterScott said:

On this day in 2012 - Jubilee Pageant at around 9am

L1874_20120603_0152a.jpg.39f30c64fef661c2538c04d09cea6367.jpg

West India Dock: lock down to River Thames,London

L1874_20120603_0198.jpg.5c5a5c134c061779830d6f2c99385c29.jpg

Some boats were bigger than us. More

The PLA have just sent this video around in their latest tideway newsletter:  http://tidalthames.co.uk/Covid-19-Special-Port-of-London-Authority-News-Week-1-June-2020/index.htm?utm_content=130804430&utm_medium=social&utm_source=facebook&hss_channel=fbp-153557411364604

2 hours ago, Scholar Gypsy said:

Are we going to do it all again in 2 years time?

28 minutes ago, Naughty Cal said:

On this day 2018

Much like the day of the Jubilee Pageant then!

On this day in 2012 - Jubilee Pageant at around 11am

spacer.png

45 minutes ago, Athy said:

.You're fine-tuning your series, Peter, from "On this day" to "On this day, at this hour". What an amazing memory.

spacer.pngFortunately digital cameras have better memory than I do. Anything for a few more pics from the database ?

Of the two thousand craft on the river there were about two hundred for safety and supervision

15 minutes ago, WotEver said:

Or he's looking st the time stamp on the images ;)

Sure; I have no experience of digital cameras, but I guess that you have to know what to look for. Fairly easy, perhaps, for a well-known event like the Pageant, but finding some of the others can't have been easy.

On this day in 2012 - Jubilee Pageant at around noon

spacer.png

It was a cold wet day, with a lot of waiting about. Much admiration for those with less cover than ourselves.

ACtC-3cnJWLq0ygQqYfioCgZ0kaDY6b-eYjGckQ3Z3BGb3ZhOmBFxpLuKDfs4_hXrw895AlgJvaZ24SmR8T2IROEnE9SzoPAnGJuWqmjQ1boUBIoVItxgaUgWT2Dbp4ilcrcCS2KEyqxW8fZBj-EcBxv-PAb=w833-h624-no?authuser=0Boats were moored at the buoys to wait for final inspection and issue of the pageant pennant. The organisers ensured that all aboard had completed our identity checks and that Auntie Mabel (or anyone else) wasn't hiding under a bunk. We needed to have annotated our copy of the river's bridge plan to ensure we went under the correct arch of each bridge.

38 minutes ago, Athy said:

Sure; I have no experience of digital cameras, but I guess that you have to know what to look for. Fairly easy, perhaps, for a well-known event like the Pageant, but finding some of the others can't have been easy.

Yes finding 'that picture' (whichever one it is) is a memory game, then trawling through the database to find when we were at 'that place'

• Greenie 1

On this day in 2012 - Jubilee Pageant at around 2.30pm

spacer.png

Time-for-lunch at the buoys, and we had a precise minute at which we were to set off.

spacer.png

It took some moments to cast off from the buoys and assume our correct convoy positions.

There were people in all possible viewing positions.

Only at the last moment, it was confirmed that the Thames Barrier would be in 'defence' mode, and the river would therefore have minimum flow. This was much easier than a four-knot tide, but all the preparations and safety procedures had worked on this as a worst-case.

On this day in 2012 - Jubilee Pageant at around 3.30pm

spacer.png

It was fine for people to be watching the pageant from any form of static floating platform. ...

spacer.png

This boat had set off to join the procession progressing down the river, but not having the necessary pageant pennant, was shepherded to this buoy by a riverpolice boat and two of the crew were appointed to glare fiercely at them for a while.

About this time one of the narrowboats had an engine malfunction. Without hesitation they were breasted-to, taken to a pontoon, secued, and all the other boats continued without having to alter course or speed.

Afaik, nobody fell in at any point, but the instruction was to continue in these circumstances, and leave the rescue to the accompanying boats.

The organisers were much concerned of the consequences of needing a flotilla-emergency-stop, and the collisions that they thought would inevitably result: the Oxford-and-Cambridge boatrace had been disrupted earlier in the year by a floating intruder.