Tonic required. Send in your photos of what is nice on the waterways now.

DandV

Featured Posts

On this day in 1958 ...

spacer.png

the plaque commemorates the beaching of  the 25ton Smack  Mary  built by Hugհ Eddy Stephens at Devoran in 1875.  The Friends of Purton website doesn't mention Mary.

spacer.png

spacer.png

and the remains are in the Sharpness Barge Arm (pictures 15Jun2008 and 13Aug2018)

spacer.png

1 hour ago, PD1964 said:

@ditchcrawler what’s with the fish trap? Do you know what they’re after?

No idea, it may have been there for years, At a guess I would say Eels as that is all I think it could be. I have never seen the water so low, just happened to have driven over for the day, nothing planned. The slipway further up the ramp was clear if the water.

On 27/01/2022 at 21:47, oboat said:

I do like the old Bridge No's and designs.
I love the No's on the Witham Navigable Drains & feel it worth replacing the missing ones.
They are as important as Mile Posts. 

I have yet to work out the font, any suggestions ???

IMG_2752.JPG.736583de464c08687a287a83b42bec84.JPGIMG_3038.JPG.e2bc275aea5edc4ef6e41bb7c1de1f62.JPGIMG_3478.JPG.6fc82f0ed97f3284508f211111f4a1da.JPGIMG_2776.JPG.cb100212c3feda32b9de7acc4250cb3b.JPG

I don't think there will be a font as such. Whoever made the patterns for the numbers probably just carved them himself to the size needed.  There is not much available 'off the shelf' . If you wanted to replicate them a big lump of clay pressed on to the plate would give a pretty good impression and then with plaster/ wax/ filler or  whatever you prefer a copy can be made and cast in lead or aluminium and then used any number of times,  Chunky old plate though, probably made by a local foundry and I expect those numbers are to be found on milestones and bits of surviving agricultural ironwork in the area. 

Edited by Bee

2 hours ago, Bee said:

I don't think there will be a font as such. Whoever made the patterns for the numbers probably just carved them himself to the size needed.  There is not much available 'off the shelf' . If you wanted to replicate them a big lump of clay pressed on to the plate would give a pretty good impression and then with plaster/ wax/ filler or  whatever you prefer a copy can be made and cast in lead or aluminium and then used any number of times,  Chunky old plate though, probably made by a local foundry and I expect those numbers are to be found on milestones and bits of surviving agricultural ironwork in the area. 

I was thinking it could have been the foundry at the end of the New Bolingbroke Arm?

Anybody know where the remainder of the series are? I seem to recall a No5 is on the Hobhole Drain.

1616636124_NewBolingbrokeIronworksbasin..jpeg.142942a1fbbb914e9cae4c3d2f3995c2.jpeg