Tonic required. Send in your photos of what is nice on the waterways now.

DandV

Featured Posts

On this (General Election) day on 2005

L1109_20050505_0005.JPG.fbed71cd6201c97183212ab7c8d45405.JPG

Paddington Branch, GU

Well, on this day 05/05/05 this was my fifth picture. While it would be symmetric to have woken to take one at five past five, a bottle of Talisker had evaporated the previous evening (there were five of us) ... Oh, and btw you're only allowed to click that link if you are a responsible ...

54 minutes ago, PeterScott said:

On this (General Election) day on 2005

L1109_20050505_0005.JPG.fbed71cd6201c97183212ab7c8d45405.JPG

Paddington Branch, GU

Well, on this day 05/05/05 this was my fifth picture. While it would be symmetric to have woken to take one at five past five, a bottle of Talisker had evaporated the previous evening (there were five of us) ... Oh, and btw you're only allowed to click that link if you are a responsible ...

Hi Peter, Sadly, Mitch, who helped us dispose of that bottle of Talisker died a few years ago. He had to have first one then the other leg amputated then sadly passed away. I remember that night moored along side his boat, Juno, which was my introduction to a composting toilet (and it smelt!). I was impressed by his model railway on the boat though. 

haggis 

On this date in 1985, it being Sunday, the work force on a barge conversion took the day off to travel the quick route from Mailly-la-Ville to Auxerre. The Yonne being in flood the locks were all closed anyway.

PICT0189.jpg

PICT0176.jpg

• Love 1

1 hour ago, haggis said:

Sadly, Mitch, who helped us dispose of that bottle of Talisker died a few years ago. ... I remember that night moored along side his boat, Juno, which was my introduction to a composting toilet (and it smelt!). I was impressed by his model railway on the boat though

Between our messages I nudged ThoseWhoMustBeObeyed into recalling the trip: the general election and even the Talisker didn't help: but the composting toilet was the key to it. The evening also discussed, it seems, the possibilities of purifying canal water sufficiently to be drinkable ....

'Tonic required', this thread says: how about end of lockdown plus x weeks: halfway-between-marinas, a new evening, another Bottle: to the memory of Mitch, Juno, the railway and even the comp... ??

Meanwhile, also on this day in 2005:

L1109_20050505_0187a.jpg.710511b6eff2cab94f8a1b59acaf5c4e.jpg

Limehouse Basin

17 hours ago, Ray T said:

Taken at the local park this afternoon. We've had one or two before but never four.IMGP7490.JPG.95bc7d3570fff8ac5da09183af2385f3.JPG

A variation on the usual Canada Geese

Two day old chicks.

IMGP7499.JPG

I can count three . . .

• Happy 1
  • Haha 1

59 minutes ago, John Liley said:

On this date in 1985, it being Sunday, the work force on a barge conversion took the day off to travel the quick route from Mailly-la-Ville to Auxerre. The Yonne being in flood the locks were all closed anyway.

PICT0189.jpg

?  You were lucky that they all returned to work with that steel cable across the opening at head height.

Tam

2 minutes ago, Tam & Di said:

?  You were lucky that they all returned to work with that steel cable across the opening at head height.

Tam

Yes. The one at Belombre was a good deal lower than that, and having made a recce beforehand, yours truly decided to disembark. Theothers, though, being limbo-dacers of a kind, somehow made it through.