Tonic required. Send in your photos of what is nice on the waterways now.

DandV

Featured Posts

On this day in 2006

L1205_20060501_0117a.jpg.32a20cc9028db020c8d08c83e2938d96.jpg

Greywell Tunnel (aka Greywell Bat Roost) Basingstoke C

L1205_20060501_0111a.jpg.8f3c47c4e32480d41b6cb88491d1b111.jpg

It's a short walk to the tunnel, and the major relief was to have been able to navigate the whole of the navigable section of the canal. It had been on the Thames that we heard that boats would be able to pass through the locks until April 30th, then from 1st May only those already on the canal would be allowed to lock down, and then, for want of water, the locks would close probably until 2007. So we did a handbrake-turn and headed for the Wey, as we had originally planned. Then there was the opening times of the locks and a couple of really low bridges ... "Well, Aprils done. May May be better" we thought at the time ...

At Vaux, on the Nivernais, one side of the lock is effectively an island, made so by the weir stream beyond. With no bridges installed, the lock-keeper waits for the arrival of hotel-barge Lucole. Then, with the water level adjusted and the barge bikes cleared away, he can get his horses across to the pasture that they love.

Horses Augy.jpg

• Greenie 1
  • Happy 1
  • Haha 1

17 minutes ago, buccaneer66 said:

... have you cruised every waterway?

Sadly there are a number of missing bits ...L1509_20090222_0101.JPG.0325bf9f5690cf29b7ac28e6297717ba.JPG

... including the Exeter canal here.

L02350.jpg.5eaa92c1c942a808a94c1bbd8a0a4c7d.jpg

As far as the connected system goes, any offers of a ride through Jesus lock (River Cam, here is a picture from 1975) or up the New Bedford would be gratefully received. Similarly to cover our Biggest Gap - the Witham from about Southrey to Boston and the Witham Navigable Drains.

Looking at my this-day photos is my lockdown therapy, and it's great that people like them. I'm enjoying all those other contributors are posting, Thanks in these isolationist times.

• Greenie 2

11 minutes ago, matty40s said:

Pelekas at dawn....?

Yep sure is Matty. Good to see your still doing ok. looking like I won’t be down your way for a while. Old Harry will need a repaint by the time is lot is sorted!!! Can l book a slot in 2030?