Tonic required. Send in your photos of what is nice on the waterways now.

DandV

Featured Posts

The Freycinet programme of canal modernisation in the 1880s was running out of steam when the Canal du Nivernais was reached. Only certain portions got the treatment. One such lies between Cravant and Vincelles, where a temperamental stretch of the Yonne was bypassed. The old cut into the river is still visible at Cravant, with a derelict lock and two rotting 30 metre barges.

The 'new' canal has silted since and can be slow going for bigger boats. At the northern end the first of the two Freycinet locks holds a surprise for the unwary. A special wind lurks here, hiding behind the lock house, waiting to pounce during the final barge's length. It did not happen when the second picture was taken. Perhaps there weren't enough people watching. If I had been steering I would have been way off towards the towpath side of the cut, then turning in from there, just in case.

Screen Shot 2021-03-02 at 13.09.47.png

Screen Shot 2021-03-02 at 12.57.12.png

• Greenie 1

4 hours ago, Victor Vectis said:

Gawd, those things are fugly.

I hope the same cannot be said of Sophia Loren, even in her 80s. She is apparently still acting. In her day she was one of the screen goddesses, at a time when there still were such things.