Tonic required. Send in your photos of what is nice on the waterways now.

DandV

Featured Posts

In a corner of Friesland near Heerenveen, where the waterways had dwindled in status, this 250 tonne capacity vessel suddenly appeared. The single soul who guided it came out of his wheelhouse to scratch with a bit of glasspaper at some miniscule blemish in the paintwork while waiting for the bridge to be opened, a remarkable structure in itself, with tilting overhead wires.

I wondered for a time whether to post the top photo on the 'March of the Widebeams' thread to see where it might take us, but decided against.

Heeren.jpeg

Heeren 1.jpg

Heeren 2.jpg

• Greenie 4

Yes to be moored underneath the itchen bridge, in itchen marine boat yard.

Nice owners they use to run the well know tug business, and fuel pumps

nice place. Really looked after us.

really good times

loved the 5 years we were there

sold our princess v42, last time I had a boat on the lumpy stuff.

Edited by bigcol
Spelling

A Solent? It must have been great to see one flying and "landing".

I remember standing with my Dad on a ferry out of Southampton on my very first trip to France, and him pointing out a bunch of these flying boats moored together in Southampton Water. I think they were coming towards the end of their operational lives then, and I'm pleased to see that one has been preserved.

I have since seen a flying boat in action, in New Zealand, but it was a fairly titchy thing compared with that one.

Edited by Athy

7 minutes ago, PeterScott said:

On this day in 2007

a view of the Cape Arm, an unnavigable loop on the BCN Main Line , from the embankment separating it from the Main Line.

Now the location of the new Midland Met hospital. I think they are quite interested in reopening the connection to the main line .....

3 hours ago, Scholar Gypsy said:

Now the location of the new Midland Met hospital. I think they are quite interested in reopening the connection to the main line .....

Last time I was there, there was only a gate hanging from the far side of the arch under the feeder embankment. What is to stop them from removing that to allow boats in (probably along with some dredging)?

Is it CRT owned or private water?

• Greenie 1

4 hours ago, Scholar Gypsy said:

[Cape Arm,] Now the location of the new Midland Met hospital. I think they are quite interested in reopening the connection to the main line .....

Compare #2037 (2000) The nice Mr Google shows the demolition and rebuilding on this site: 2009  2014  2015  2016  2017  2018

1 hour ago, David Mack said:

Last time I was there, there was only a gate hanging from the far side of the arch under the feeder embankment. What is to stop them from removing that to allow boats in (probably along with some dredging)? Is it CRT owned or private water?

P8307859s.jpg.d8266fca0db5317bc682187771033eba.jpg

August 2019 the gate looks ready to fall off. As it has for twenty years or so. Compare #4281 (2003) #4705 (2007) #4176 (2015) #1113 (2018)

And a side view  of the arch from 2007spacer.png

Edited by PeterScott
extra pic
  • Greenie 1