Tonic required. Send in your photos of what is nice on the waterways now.

DandV

Featured Posts

Nearing their end, boats of the Willow Wren carrying fleet wait for a stoppage to be lifted at Stoke Bruerne in the winter of 1967. The Willow Wren venture, an heroic one, was founded by Robert Aickman, Vivian Bulkeley-Johnson and Leslie Morton, who managed the operation. 

Morton, a dynamic figure,had been largely responsible for the  huge expansion of the Grand Union Canal Carrying Company's activities in the 1930s. In his book 'The Long Wake' he recalls his youth on sailing ships . He rounded Cape Horn six times and is particularly remembered for his and his brother's bravery in the sinking of the Lusitania, when they rescued over 100 people. Unhappily, he died before publishing more, but now a further book is promised, covering his Grand Union days.

Meanwhile, take a look at https://www.rmslusitania.info/people/deck/leslie-morton/  What a life!

W Wren at Stoke Br.jpg

LESLIE MORTON (from The Long Wake).jpg

• Greenie 3

9 minutes ago, John Liley said:

Nearing their end, boats of the Willow Wren carrying fleet wait for a stoppage to be lifted at Stoke Bruerne in the winter of 1967. The Willow Wren venture, an heroic one, was founded by Robert Aickman, Vivian Bulkeley-Johnson and Leslie Morton, who managed the operation. 

Morton, a dynamic figure,had been largely responsible for the  huge expansion of the Grand Union Canal Carrying Company's activities in the 1930s. In his book 'The Long Wake' he recalls his youth on sailing ships . He rounded Cape Horn six times and is particularly remembered for his and his brother's bravery in the sinking of the Lusitania, when they rescued over 100 people. Unhappily, he died before publishing more, but now a further book is promised, covering his Grand Union days.

Meanwhile, take a look at https://www.rmslusitania.info/people/deck/leslie-morton/  What a life!

W Wren at Stoke Br.jpg

LESLIE MORTON (from The Long Wake).jpg

Moreton's book 'The Long Wake' is a really great read. I commend it to you.

Amazon have one copy @ £16.4 + £2.45 p&p.

Rush?

Leslie Morton’s book is a great read, I found a copy in  a bookshop in Ireland when we had the NB there. It cost 12 punts in 2000.

I have lent it to friends over the years but made sure that I knew were it was at all times.

He was a manager who worked well with his crews and his sessions in the Admiral Nelson when Hubert kept it are legendary. Look forward to reading the new book.

1 hour ago, Bee said:

670607412_mikescamera2012029.JPG.d85a2642e399b3beb28bf9eefd82b3d8.JPG

One of my favourite places in France.

Edited by Dav and Pen
Spelling of course

2 hours ago, PeterScott said:

On this day in 2006

spacer.png

Mountbatten at Calcutt GU

spacer.png

And they're out of the gates at the Calcutt steeple chase. Mountbatten gets an early lead as Compton's jockey fluffs the start...

... In to the closing furlong, Mountbatten has built up an opening of several boat lengths and romps over the line.

spacer.png

I wondered if the Horace Batchelor boat would be putting in an appearance.

'That's K-E-Y-N-S-H-A-M'.

?

(And I'd guess anyone under 60 won't have the faintist idea what I'm on about. But then I'm so old I can remember coal mines in Yorkshire)

Edited by Victor Vectis
spellin
  • Greenie 1

50 minutes ago, Victor Vectis said:

spacer.png

?

(And I'd guess anyone under 60 won't have the faintist idea what I'm on about. But then I'm so old I can remember coal mines in Yorkshire)

3 hours ago, Victor Vectis said:

spacer.png

?

My memory of Keynsham is tht Roger, a work colleague, lived there: we were spending £many000000 on a new computer system for driving licences and it was always easier to ask Roger what the odd corners of the legislation meant, rather than trying to plough through it, and probably spend more £££ making odd 'little' errors. As in, if you have a driving licence for only a milkfloat, and you want to drive a motorbike, do you have an exemption from having to do a Theory Test. Not that that anybody, in practice, has ever asked to do that ... Anyway, Keynsham (K&A) from July 2019:

P7131267s.jpg.0cc14b61b177695186784f03ae75a55c.jpg

P7131285s.jpg.94d910147c88197ed3ec72f32d5d4320.jpg

6 hours ago, PeterScott said:

On this day in 2009

spacer.png

spacer.png

Shared Boat gathering inside and outside Braunston Marina (GU)

Compare

2Feb2002

6Feb2005

2Feb2006

3Feb2006

4Feb2006

5Feb2006

31Jan2007

1Feb2008 

spacer.png

I seem to remember the 2009 one wasnt a good time for the event, one of the boats attending was moored in Welton Haven marina.

we chatted to the skipper outside the Boathouse pub (having left our boat and driven out in the heavy snow for dinner).

2 days later he spent 3 hours trying to get from marina entrance to mooring!!

• Happy 1