Tonic required. Send in your photos of what is nice on the waterways now.

DandV

Featured Posts

The Netherlands remembered. While waiting for the Secunda deal to go through I lived on L&L short boat Arthur, waking up one morning to find a row of sheep staring at me By the time I got my camera out, two of them decided they'd had enough, a pity as they'd formed an absolute line.

On the journey back to England, Secunda towed Arthur sometimes, otherwise we travelled side by side. Coming up the Ijssel we were just about the slowest combo around. We got past this one pair but it was a close-run thing.

PICT0106.jpg

PICT0172.jpg

• Greenie 1

13 hours ago, Dav and Pen said:

Today 2013 we were leaving Laroche Migennes and at the first lock this family swam in, I didn’t think they would make very good fenders.

2AE0AFBF-1405-4148-AF20-C32F68F0D2C0.jpeg

This reminds me how few ducks and swans we've seen on French waterways compared with English ones. Could this be because most of them end up in rural cooking pots? I did hear, some years ago, of a Nivernais-side resident who used to catch herons, which she said required long, slow cooking.

4 hours ago, PeterScott said:

On this day 2005

L1134_20050814_0112s.jpg.a1a829ade982f9d4674b7fcea03c9e35.jpg

Marsworth Junction GUSouth and the crane in the BW Maintenance Yard (now housing)

L1134_20050814_0121s.jpg.c4202113339bf90784c00f4852ffb419.jpg

The barge looks very like my old L & L short boat Arthur, looking very much smarter than when I owned her - and now restored to her original name Mersey, I believe. JL

57 minutes ago, John Liley said:

The barge looks very like my old L & L short boat Arthur, looking very much smarter than when I owned her - and now restored to her original name Mersey, I believe. JL

Richard Branson had Arthur at one point. He bought her from Bill Fisher at Newbury on the K&A as I recall, and his mother had a nasty accident moving her to London. It then fetched up as a houseboat in a rather sad state at Blomfield road where Branson had another boat. We bought her, deconverted her, brought her back into decent condition and gave her back her original given name and used her for various canal maintenance and civil engineering works. We even put her abreast of Ribble - another L&L craft we owned - to move an extremely long factory delivery belt a short distance from the road connection to the Covent Garden Soup factory, as the final distance was not negotiable by lorry.

Tam

15m9_1989_web.jpg.5ad6aadbc850a32c0dbc91fca959a87e.jpg

15g_web.jpg.745f502514b7cd036881d63adf09b9b1.jpg

Edited by Tam & Di
add piccies
  • Greenie 3