Tonic required. Send in your photos of what is nice on the waterways now.

DandV

Featured Posts

2 hours ago, Mike Todd said:

Is it just me or are we beginning to think that anything with water in it counts a 'waterway'?

Thread drift. Given that this thread has the best part of 12,000 posts and 500 pages I think it has stayed remarkably close to the OP's intent.

On 19/03/2020 at 05:53, DandV said:

In this time of incalculable gloom, our boats, landscapes, boating activities and wildlife are still stunningly beautiful and give joy to those viewing. I miss  those experiences. You would cheer me up, and I guess many others   by posting photos, and videos of your  day by day boating and what you encounter, it is stunningly beautiful and in this you are so lucky. Likewise the responses to my photos of alternative boating here in New Zealand have obviously given pleasure so let's share this pleasure. We are not totally powerless to create pleasure without endangering ouselves or others

Please just post that lovely dawn photo today and more. Spring in Britain is beautifully photogenic, and as this goes on, so is summer, and then autumn, and winter. Share the views please. 

Don and Val

Edited by David Mack
  • Greenie 1

2 hours ago, David Mack said:

Thread drift. Given that this thread has the best part of 12,000 posts and 500 pages I think it has stayed remarkably close to the OP's intent.

Well I for one thoroughly approve the way this thread has travelled.

Way way better then any of my initial hopes.

It is a superb collection of photographs of largely UK inland waterways, in the various weather and seasonal conditions.

The thread is enhanced by those offshore, and some onshore excursions.

There really are some stunning photographs, and I really appreciate Peter Scott's work in cross referencing his photos. This increases the value of this resource tremendously.

So once again thanks to all who have, and are contributing.

You continue to brighten my days and allow us to recall the wonderful places and people we encountered on our travels, particularly our time on "the cut"

Even today's photos of the Circus Field basin with those familiar boats provoked nostalgia for a great period in our lives.

Thank you all and have a great Christmas.

• Greenie 1

On this day in 2001

spacer.png

Rochdale Canal restoration around HartleyBr 62A towards EdinburghWay. With half the canal width as an SSSI for " the internationally important plant species floating water-plantain [Luronium natans] "  Compare 2Dec2001  2Dec2001/3Jul2002

Edited by PeterScott
link

This morning 2022

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

Fall Ings Lock 

Wakefield BranchA+C/C+H

Compare  12Apr1979  7Apr2006 (#2)  3Aug2007   17Oct2008  8Apr2010  31Mar2014  28Jul2014  16Nov2014 (#2)

Edited by PeterScott
extra pic

This morning 2022

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

Wakefield Weir (River Calder) from the Hepworth Gallery direction, and the boatyard at Wakefield Wharf (in the weirstream off the line of navigation)

Compare  27Mar2013  5July2013  27Jun2013   7Oct2017  23Jul2021

On this day in 2018

5996804_5b343ff0_1024x1024.jpg

Trews Weir on River Exe, Exeter the river, by Exeter Quay, Exeter Ship Canal, is higher with flood water and the small boat at the bank is the Butts Ferry which had come adrift and floated onto the weir. Picture by ©DavidSmith    Compare ...

On 22/02/2021 at 09:32, PeterScott said:

spacer.pngspacer.pngOn [22Feb] in 2009

... propelled by hand

Butt's Ferry

Exeter

23 hours ago, PeterScott said:

On this day in 2001

spacer.png

Rochdale Canal restoration around HartleyBr 62A towards EdinburghWay. With half the canal width as an SSSI for " the internationally important plant species floating water-plantain [Luronium natans] "  Compare 2Dec2001  2Dec2001/3Jul2002

This reduction in the canal width was done by CRT without any consultation with the canal restoration group, yet they were the group responsible for saving it when they did the restoration.