Tonic required. Send in your photos of what is nice on the waterways now.

DandV

Featured Posts

The flag in question may be now. It wasn't required to be when the picture was posted.  As it was accompanied with a reflection comment, it may well have been very clever, though I am am far too stupid to figure it out 

Edited by rusty69

O' dear, wot a cock-up.

It is actually an 'insult to the crown' to display the Union Flag the wrong way up, so although flown at 'half mast' you'd have thought they'd have taken the trouble to fy it the correct 'way up' (Broad white bands at the top)

Is flying the Union flag upside down a crime in the UK?
It is also "lese Majeste" (which means: insulting the Crown), and is theoretically still a crime in the UK and its commonwealth! 

7277B646-9815-4CDF-8914-D6D8A8BEF624.jpeg.717c1c499d80af705196718816f0381d.jpeg

• Greenie 1

8 minutes ago, Alan de Enfield said:

O' dear, wot a cock-up.

It is actually an 'insult to the crown' to display the Union Flag the wrong way up, so although flown at 'half mast' you'd have thought they'd have taken the trouble to fy it the correct 'way up' (Broad white bands at the top)

It is also "lese Majeste" (which means: insulting the Crown), and is theoretically still a crime in the UK and its commonwealth! 

So, we have :

1.Rusty's "distress signal" 

Or 

2.Alans" lese Majeste"

Truth, or bluff? 

• Greenie 1

11 minutes ago, Alan de Enfield said:

O' dear, wot a cock-up.

As far as i understand it, we have no “lésé majesté” laws in the UK? Otherwise the Tower would be full of Ian Hislop, Frankie Boyle, Spitting Image writers etc.

2 hours ago, Hudds Lad said:

As far as i understand it, we have no “lésé majesté” laws in the UK? Otherwise the Tower would be full of Ian Hislop, Frankie Boyle, Spitting Image writers etc.

And everyone that flys the flag when England reach the final stages of a football tournament upside down. If people are that bothered next time they see one upside down hanging out of a car window, please stop the driver and inform him his flag is incorrectly flying. No.

Edited by PD1964
  • Greenie 1

2 hours ago, Alan de Enfield said:

O' dear, wo7277B646-9815-4CDF-8914-D6D8A8BEF624.jpeg.717c1c499d80af705196718816f0381d.jpegt a cock-up .... 'insult to the crown' to display the Union Flag the wrong way up...

Probably intended as a tribute, which sadly I can't do anything to improve from here ...

Our crew have been remembering Royal occasions which we had attended and seen HMQueenElizabethII. Most relevantly the QDJP in 2012, when HM was waving, here, at maybe the thousandth boat to pass by that day ...

ACtC-3eKmrImuRrkNuuwSbkMxSoyS_LUjhRJjRHe

spacer.pngWhile a CivilServant in about 1980, those of us in a departmental outpost were invited to a office window at Old Admiralty Building, then the headquarters of the Civil Service Department and overlooking Horse Guards Parade, for a brilliant view of the Trooping the Colour ceremony. Just under our window a guardsman-in-bearskin was wilting in the heat; those alongside shuffled closer to keep him vertical, but with no success, and he collapsed in a heap, to be - unceremoniously we thought - carted away on a stretcher. A little while later, HM, sidesaddled, completing her ceremonial inspection, focussed on the gap in the front line, most probably in the spirit of TheShowMustGoOn.

5885751.jpg

Earlier, on 27June1958, Elaine was able to wave a flag for HM opening the Scunthorpe Technical College. Picture is the theatre opening.

The remainder of our crew have never attended a Royal event, and as with most of us, our view of HM has been through a screen. Hardly any screen-viewing, though, for any of her predecessors. Something that defines our Age ...

Edited by PeterScott
Sp
  • Greenie 1

7 hours ago, rusty69 said:

Anyway,an upside down union jack is considered a distress signal. If the loss of the queen is not distressing, I'm not sure what is. 

Do you get distressed everytime a 96yr old lady dies? I do thing she was a grand lass, dealt admirably with the role thrust upon her, done a lot for society and her fellows. 

As have many old people, who may also have done a lot more given the resources she inherited. But a monkey in a suit is still a monkey. 

1 minute ago, Jim Riley said:

Do you get distressed everytime a 96yr old lady dies? I do thing she was a grand lass, dealt admirably with the role thrust upon her, done a lot for society and her fellows. 

As have many old people, who may also have done a lot more given the resources she inherited. But a monkey in a suit is still a monkey. 

I didn't say it distressed me. It probably distressed some people though, including some members of her family. 

A flag is at half mast when either it is 1/3 of the length of the pole below the top or one flag width below the top. (I think).

Mine was one flag width down but is now at the top for the new King until 1 pm Sunday when it will be one flag width down again for the period of mourning.

This afternoon 2022

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

Glascote Basin Coventry Canal   Compare  25Jun1979/22Jul1976  10April2002  9Aug2005  27Sep2006   31Oct2006   13Jul2008  8Oct2013  6Nov2014   15Jul2015  4Oct2017  2Aug2020  13Jul2021  22Jul2021  3Aug2021 

Today in 2005 on the Belgian Meuse. Herself asked if we could tie alongside the tanker barge which was easier for her. They told us to go first but soon overtook.We are actually sandwiched between two big barges.

4DF33250-5F0B-43EF-B0F5-CE34A97BC074.jpeg

Edited by Dav and Pen
Content
  • Greenie 1

19 hours ago, rusty69 said:

I didn't say it distressed me. It probably distressed some people though, including some members of her family. 

The Union flag upside down is a distress signal, but it's hardly a good signal.

I m not sure about flag etiquette of random unregistered boats on inland waters.

I've furled my red ensign, the flagstaff is very short.

At sea, I would lower the ensign at eight pm, as is normal when in harbour , or at sunset if under way.The flagstaff would be such length that it could be lowered to half mast, or dipped when a RN vessel is passing.

1 hour ago, LadyG said:

The Union flag upside down is a distress signal, but it's hardly a good signal.

I m not sure about flag etiquette of random unregistered boats on inland waters.

I've furled my red ensign, the flagstaff is very short.

At sea, I would lower the ensign at eight pm, as is normal when in harbour , or at sunset if under way.The flagstaff would be such length that it could be lowered to half mast, or dipped when a RN vessel is passing.

Which really pisses them off when they have to dip theirs in response.