Tonic required. Send in your photos of what is nice on the waterways now.

DandV

Featured Posts

1 hour ago, Jen-in-Wellies said:

Just out of interest. What is the reason for the small fender attached to the eye hole at the top of the rudder? Protection in locks?

It wasn't being used as a fender. The rope it was attached to was being used to hold the rudder over at 90 degrees, there being not much room between the back of the boat and the door to the dock (at Circus Field Basin, Aylesbury).

• Greenie 1

3 minutes ago, David Mack said:

It wasn't being used as a fender. The rope it was attached to was being used to hold the rudder over at 90 degrees, there being not much room between the back of the boat and the door to the dock (at Circus Field Basin, Aylesbury).

Thanks for the explanation.

2 hours ago, Jen-in-Wellies said:

Just out of interest. What is the reason for the small fender attached to the eye hole at the top of the rudder? Protection in locks?

Aha: there's a long answer to the question, which is more fun than a short one:

And had I not stopped to listen to 'More Or Less' on Radio4, I might have finished  before David 🙂 Anyway:

Aylesbury Canal Society were long-term occupants and leaseholders of the canal basin close to the centre of Aylesbury, (Canal Society's picture)

5.jpg.ce7782238fd2ca44b002373a2f67f0c8.jpg

spacer.pngand initial proposals for redevelopment of the basin had insufficient compensation for the Society needing to move out, and interesting-negotiations (as in The Legal System, Lawyers-from-Big-Houses, etc) led to a brilliant new replacement facility at Circus Field, a mile outside Aylesbury town centre.

spacer.png

The design specifically included room for Fulbourne's 71'6" to be hauled up the track into the drydock (wetdock is parallel and alongside in the new building). Inside the drydock, it is a tight fit,

spacer.png

hence the protection of rudder from the door, and expensive door mechanism from the rudder, which is provided by the fender as in the earlier picture.

spacer.png

So my short answer was to be "to protect the door shutter" 🙂

Edited by PeterScott
extra pic
  • Greenie 3

14 hours ago, PeterScott said:

Aha: there's a long answer to the question, which is more fun than a short one:

And had I not stopped to listen to 'More Or Less' on Radio4, I might have finished  before David 🙂 Anyway:

Aylesbury Canal Society were long-term occupants and leaseholders of the canal basin close to the centre of Aylesbury, (Canal Society's picture)

5.jpg.ce7782238fd2ca44b002373a2f67f0c8.jpg

spacer.pngand initial proposals for redevelopment of the basin had insufficient compensation for the Society needing to move out, and interesting-negotiations (as in The Legal System, Lawyers-from-Big-Houses, etc) led to a brilliant new replacement facility at Circus Field, a mile outside Aylesbury town centre.

With these two photos I am very far from convinced that the redevelopment of the Town Basin could be classified as an improvement.

Now a remarkably sterile place surrounded by particularily bland buildings, without any relationship with it's history.

• Happy 1

This afternoon 2022

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

River Idle:  West Stockwith Navigable Sluice with self-operating screen cleaner:

and pumping station: 

Entrance Sluice:

junction with tidal Trent

Compare  29May1991 25Mar1995   16Apr1978/16Apr2010

This afternoon 2022

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

West Stockwith  Lock River Trent / Chesterfield Canal

Compare  29May1991  21Apr2003 (#2)  16Apr1978/16Apr2010   19Oct2005  3Sep2009   13Oct2014   14Oct2014   7May2015  15Nov2105/15Nov2011  30Oct2021  28Dec2021

9 minutes ago, MartynG said:

Ah yes the new sign that cant be seen from the river 

spacer.png

West Stockwith  Lock River Trent / Chesterfield Canal

Yes, and beavering along with the tide, there's this useful sign to tell me of a speed limit, which I'm likely to have no way of measuring against, and in any case telling the tide to go slower may well have no effect. _sigh_ Perhaps when it is updated it could use the new rainbow version of the logo ,seen on a van at the basin this afternoon 2022.

spacer.png

2 minutes ago, PeterScott said:

Yes, and beavering along with the tide, there's this useful sign to tell me of a speed limit, which I'm likely to have no way of measuring against, and in any case telling the tide to go slower may well have no effect. _sigh_ Perhaps when it is updated it could use the new rainbow version of the logo ,seen on a van at the basin this afternoon 2022.

A lot of lumpy water boats including mine have a speed log to measure speed through the water as  well as GPS speed.

The tide on springs at west Stockwith can run in at 3 knots so  a narrowboat could easily exceed 5knots SOG .

However the speed limit  doesn't really apply to narrowboats which are not capable of creating sufficient wash to cause a problem.  

On 19/01/2022 at 20:19, PeterScott said:

On this day in 2009

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

on the lifeboat and at the controls

spacer.pngspacer.png

spacer.png

King GeorgeV entrance lock, River Thames Compare 19Jan2009 (posted this day 2021)

And a year earlier, on this day 2008

pic062.jpg

pic064.jpg

Sharing King George V Entrance Lock with HMS Exeter.

2 hours ago, David Mack said:

pic062.jpgpic064.jpg

... [21 Jan] on this day 2008

Sharing King George V Entrance Lock with HMS Exeter.

Gosh, that's me in a silly hat in the first pic ...

spacer.png

... and stepping off on the lockside for this version of the picture. If you need a parking spot for D89, I suppose King George V Entrance Lock is as good as any. The water level goes up and down while those pesky narrowboats pass through.

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

And they didn't share the locking fees with us , either 🙂

We pooled lots of pictures from all the boats at the time. TimLewis's are those from HMSExeter's side of the lock.

spacer.png

Edited by PeterScott
extra pic

On this day in 2008

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.pngRoyal Docks

R Thames London