Tonic required. Send in your photos of what is nice on the waterways now.

DandV

Featured Posts

That was one of the first boats I looked at for sale when I was getting a bigger narrow boat in 1995. It was at Highline at Iver. 

I think it was 45ft so looks to have been lengthened. 

A lovely boat, 1976 by Joe Gilbert if I remember right. Hand start JP2 engine. £18k I think it was. 

I didn't really know what I was looking at at the time but suspect that is a very nice boat. 

I ended up with a 55 footer by GM / Tony Gregory with a DM2 which was also a very nice boat but not quite as interesting as the BALTIC. 

nice boat that is. 

Edited by magnetman

Been in the loft and found a load of my old photos

First boat that I ever hired from Jannel Cruisers at Burton, cost £25 for a week because I had a voucher from the Daily Mirror.

Thr Yanmar diesel on this was a right pain to start on cold mornings until a passing boater showed us a trick.

DC3009.jpg.bd9acfc31bde5d920b5c308b5201dbf3.jpg

Second boat that I hired from SwanLine at Fradley Junction, and I went back and hired this one a number of times.

DC3010.jpg.32887f2d260caaec16f52a226377cf3a.jpg

Then after that an Anglo Welsh from Great Haywood.

DC3012.jpg.cef773e6728d7410c51beeac14a7c3a3.jpg

DC3011.jpg.3c9730513a42961285f2c239f4410160.jpg

I don't suppose I'd be able to moor so easily outside The Shroppie Fly these days.

Rather than a plethora of signs everywhere, which leaves CRT vulnerable to claims from the odd hazard they failed to identify, they would be better with just one sign at canal access points warning that the canal system has many hazards, including trip hazards, unprotected drops, deep water and speeding cyclists.

Then it is for the user to do his own risk assessment, now being aware that being canalaide is a potentially dangerous environment.

14 hours ago, PeterScott said:

spacer.png

[17 October] 2021

Barton Turns Lock

T&M.

Warning sign that stepping back to pull the towingpath gate is over some steep steps. And the gate handle has been moved in[wards]

14 hours ago, David Mack said:

Capture.PNG.0fe6cb70f393527cc69ccab493292859.PNG  Hmmmm! This appears to be an instruction:

spacer.pngPictures from 9Sept2009.spacer.png

In 1999 I was standing here talking to Peter, who was on the offside gate, waiting for Copperkins to enter the lock. I was on the top step and behind me the staircase drops like this:  

spacer.pngBy the time the boat was clear of the gate, and maybe because of Peter's engaging conversation (or maybe not), I had forgotten about the steps behind and pulled the gate handle, which was still at the far end of the beam and directly above the steps. I lost my balance, and (Peter says) spectacularly rolled down the steps coming to rest on the cobbles below, still holding my windlass.

My elbow was broken, and still has the screws the hospital used to attach it together. It gives me a special twinge whenever we go through the lock, and Peter takes another dozen pictures of this year's version of the hazard and warning signage, which is now about as good as it could be, I suppose.

spacer.pngspacer.png

• Horror 1

59 minutes ago, David Mack said:

That does look like an accident waiting to happen! Moving the handle further in is a sensible move. I wonder why they didn't cut the balance beam shorter as well.

Possibly because it wouldn't balance so well.

On 18/10/2021 at 12:47, ElaineMary said:

spacer.pngPictures from 9Sept2009.

In 1999 I was standing here talking to Peter, who was on the offside gate, waiting for Copperkins to enter the lock. I was on the top step and behind me the staircase drops like this:  

By the time the boat was clear of the gate, and maybe because of Peter's engaging conversation (or maybe not), I had forgotten about the steps behind and pulled the gate handle, which was still at the far end of the beam and directly above the steps. I lost my balance, and (Peter says) spectacularly rolled down the steps coming to rest on the cobbles below, still holding my windlass.

My elbow was broken, and still has the screws the hospital used to attach it together. It gives me a special twinge whenever we go through the lock, and Peter takes another dozen pictures of this year's version of the hazard and warning signage, which is now about as good as it could be, I suppose.

@ElaineMary, what do you call your traditional head covering please?