Tonic required. Send in your photos of what is nice on the waterways now.

DandV

Featured Posts

On this day in 2008

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

Marsden end of Standedge Tunnel, HNC.

Tunnel trip with Fred Carter (compare 9Apr2001) in the era of towing behind the electric tug and sheeting-up the (empty) boat to reduce cabin scrapes.

Compare  3Jan2000  17Oct2007  26Jul2009  20Aug2010  11Jul2014  

On this day in 2008

spacer.png

Passenger Pod

spacer.png

Tug looking back

spacer.png

Steering the tug

spacer.png

Tunnel profile varies throughout the journey

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

Diggle portal Standedge Tunnel HNC 

Compare  17Apr1979  10Jan1987  3Apr2006  21May2008  22May2008   15Oct2008  11Jul2014  16Apr2016  3Oct2016

4 hours ago, John Liley said:

When the Jam Hole traffic ended in 1970, the regular run with coal from Atherstone to Kierley & Tonge's plant on the outskirts of London, the craft on the last trip were unexpectedly held up by a stoppage for lock repairs on their way back up the Grand Union Canal.

As ever, the three pairs of boat's in the Blue Line fleet were moored according to a certain pattern. The reason is explained by a tale passed on by an apprentice woodworker at the company's Braunston base: Wanting to return a screwdriver he had borrowed from the Whitlock family of 'Renfrew' and 'Lucy', he asked Arthur Bray, who was passing by,  if he could drop it off for him, whereupon Arthur drew himself up straight and announced "I havn't spoken to them for the last nineteen years and i'm not going to start now." 

Hence the mooring etiquette, with the Bray's  'Roger' and 'Raymond' separate from the rest. For all that time, in what was to be the last regular traffic on the cut, all that had been exchanged were the stoniest of stares.

Scan.jpeg

Lovely story.  History is as much, probably even more, about the people, as the boats. 

6 hours ago, DandV said:

Lovely story.  History is as much, probably even more, about the people, as the boats. 

After the traffic stopped the Brays and the Whitlock were moored on opposite sides of the entrance to Braunston yard. They still carried on as before and one day after I had a chat with Arthur Rose Whitlock came out of the cabin as I was walking back home and asked how uncle Arthur was. Rumour  has it that the fued was to do with the Brays being passed when broken down but lost in the mists of time.

Luckily I got on well with all of them.

• Greenie 2

12 hours ago, PD1964 said:

Friends going out today at Sheffield, a bit old to be “Fresher Week” students 

12B42871-0076-4DC5-9B01-53230E051BDE.jpeg.0a88b165373168dd94adac1035f3f393.jpeg

A slightly different Narrowboat as it has a “Kitchen” rudder design.

I trust it also has MCA approval to carry more than 12 passengers, and has passed an enhanced stability test for carrying that number of people on the roof.

On 24/09/2021 at 13:52, PeterScott said:

On this day in 2003

spacer.png

Lobb Mill Lock No 16  Rochdale Canal.

the playboat / public art is above the lock

And on this day in 202120210926_144215.jpg.42dae0d63237b84e11d1a1f704e9b779.jpg

Now with some additional facilities and some roses (but no castles), but minus a balance beam, and very much still in use.

Edited by David Mack
  • Greenie 1

Having a couple more patches on the old barge at Vankerkovens near Charleroi today 2011. We were there for survey and to get the new Triwv certificate.

A few days after this the yard went bust but we had got back in the water the day before.

58DB4F1A-B835-4755-BDF3-E045D56DB1CB.jpeg