Tonic required. Send in your photos of what is nice on the waterways now.

DandV

Featured Posts

On 06/09/2021 at 15:38, The Happy Nomad said:

All Summer crafts were 'xxxxxxxx Girl' from memory. But now no more, they retired and sold the boats.

Glitter girl was another of our hires when there was just the two of us (plus dog). We had the 'tribe' with us on Grande Girl.

Screenshot_20210906-154119_Photos.jpg

They are still operating two boats for hire, although most of the yard is now private moorings.

https://www.summercraftboats.co.uk/summercraft-boats/

For those of us in the hotel-boat business, a telling commentary in the 'Oldie' magazine a few years back. The Edward Elgar described was subsequently sold, then sank while under tow to new owners across the Irish Sea. The article rang a few bells for me of my own early days. But we never did quoits.

2060410912_ScreenShot2021-09-08at23_19_58.png.7b28ef7a77a04a136c5b488d04e94201.png      

Gently 1.jpg

Edited by John Liley
Adding pictures
  • Greenie 2
  • Haha 2

On this day in 2005

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

Garston Lock  (turf-sided)

River Kennet section of K&A

Compare 

25Apr2006

9May2006

spacer.pngspacer.pngand inside the pillbox (offside by the top gates)

Edited by PeterScott
extra pics

13 hours ago, John Liley said:

For those of us in the hotel-boat business, a telling commentary in the 'Oldie' magazine a few years back. The Edward Elgar described was subsequently sold, then sank while under tow to new owners across the Irish Sea. The article rang a few bells for me of my own early days. But we never did quoits.

2060410912_ScreenShot2021-09-08at23_19_58.png.7b28ef7a77a04a136c5b488d04e94201.png      

Gently 1.jpg

It was actually the 'Oliver Cromwell' which sank,'Edward Elgar' is still going strong on the river Severn.

On 08/09/2021 at 13:39, Naughty Cal said:

They are still operating two boats for hire, although most of the yard is now private moorings.

https://www.summercraftboats.co.uk/summercraft-boats/

My apologies for continuing this theme. Many many moons ago my parents and siblings occasionally hired boats on the Thames. I think from Bushnalls at Maidenhead or there abouts. The lovely wooden boats were, at that time named Gay (something or other.). My brother who spent a bit of time with us last year on the Thames drove us potty by naming every wooden boat we saw Gay Monica. Is she still afloat? Anyone remember Bushnalls of Old? I saw that they have a base not far from Reading nowadays.

In 2013 this combination had come past us after we had moored up for the day at St Julian on the Centre canal .In the morning I had agreed with the lock keeper that we would go first as they needed to separate the two halves and go through separately joining up below the lock a very slow procedure. As we got along side heads appeared followed by lots of abusive language . The lock was ready and we went straight in but angry skipper kept up a steady flow of insults. That night when he stopped at Fragnes where we were he came and apologised. They were heading for the canal du midi where 30m is maximum size and these 2 would be turned into house boats.

96A9BD2C-E745-4831-A6D5-7C10425F684B.jpeg

• Greenie 2

4 hours ago, The Bearwood Boster said:

It was actually the 'Oliver Cromwell' which sank,'Edward Elgar' is still going strong on the river Severn.

My apologies to all concerned. Must try harder. Glad to hear the good ship Edward Elgar is still around, however.   JL

2 hours ago, John Liley said:

... Glad to hear the good ship Edward Elgar is still around...

Aha, an excuse for a picture:

spacer.png

Gloucester Lock River Severn Hotelboat EdwardElgar heading upriver Compare 14Aug2018

spacer.png

and 4Oct2011 under way, RSevern

spacer.png

Edited by PeterScott
photolinks not working

2 hours ago, John Liley said:

My apologies to all concerned. Must try harder. Glad to hear the good ship Edward Elgar is still around, however.   JL

We're moored above Avon lock at Tewkesbury today.Guess which boat moored below the lock about 40 mins ago...😊

5 hours ago, Nightwatch said:

My apologies for continuing this theme. Many many moons ago my parents and siblings occasionally hired boats on the Thames. I think from Bushnalls at Maidenhead or there abouts. The lovely wooden boats were, at that time named Gay (something or other.). My brother who spent a bit of time with us last year on the Thames drove us potty by naming every wooden boat we saw Gay Monica. Is she still afloat? Anyone remember Bushnalls of Old? I saw that they have a base not far from Reading nowadays.

My first boating holiday was on a boat hired from Bushnalls at Easter 1972.

197206_20.jpg.7ec5f7fbdb8abde3662835daf4ecc3c0.jpg

Ours was "Gay Fantasy No. 4". 

• Greenie 3
  • Happy 1