Tonic required. Send in your photos of what is nice on the waterways now.

DandV

Featured Posts

5 hours ago, Athy said:

One of those incredibly husky-looking vehicles, though with an open back, goes growling past our house from time to time. What make is it?

Dodge Ram

Made the job of towing NC home look like child's play. In america they are legally allowed to tow far more than they can in the UK, so even with the boat and trailer approaching the max legal towing limit in the UK the Ram found it easy work.

It felt like a big brute coming around Loch Lomond with the boat on the back though!!

ETA: He has the hard top on the pick up bed so he can load gear in there as well if necessary to take some load of the boat/trailer. We managed to get the dinghy in there fully inflated!

Edited by Naughty Cal
  • Greenie 1

3 minutes ago, Naughty Cal said:

Dodge Ram

Made the job of towing NC home look like child's play. In america they are legally allowed to tow far more than they can in the UK, so even with the boat and trailer approaching the max legal towing limit in the UK the Ram found it easy work.

It felt like a big brute coming around Loch Lomond with the boat on the back though!!

ETA: He has the hard top on the pick up bed so he can load gear in there as well if necessary to take some load of the boat/trailer. We managed to get the dinghy in there fully inflated!

He did well to tow a boat on that road.

Having towed a large twin axle caravan to and from the Highlands along that road I can testify as to how tight it gets alongside the Loch.

1 minute ago, The Happy Nomad said:

Having towed a large twin axle caravan to and from the Highlands along that road I can testify as to how tight it gets alongside the Loch.

Good job he knows what he is doing on roads like that one. :)

I seem to remember the road getting from where we recovered the boat at Puffin Dive Centre back to Oban was a bit scary as well.

Although we did toy with the idea of getting a trailer and tow car for NC, I'm glad we didn't. Some jobs are best left to the professionals. 

45 minutes ago, The Happy Nomad said:

While the road up the side of Loch Lomond is not ideal for towing, it is a dawdle compared with the road down to the Mull of Kintyre. Iain has towed gamebird (our 26 foot Sea Otter) twice down to Ardrishaig and from there up to the Caledonian canal and it was not an easy tow. The trailer is a twin axle but the boat weights a lot more than a caravan.

haggis

Edited by haggis

56 minutes ago, jake_crew said:

Whats the story with those sunken ships [in Bowling Basin]?

spacer.png

spacer.pngLots of separate stories, and once derelict boats are allowed to sink, it seems to become a place to bring other leaky boats. There's an interesting account of Bowling and Clyde boats here from 2010, and that references a determined £1.5m BWScotland project to remove some or all of the hulks in 2006 here. More pictures here

including this from 1912 of Bowling wharf and paddle steamer Isle of Cumbrae

Today on the staffs and worcs, at the top end of Wolverley Court lock, this chap decided to sit on the top gate until he saw me coming to close the paddle, then went into the undergrowth, swam across the canal and vanished over the towpath into a field. 

IMG_20210721_155112.jpg

• Greenie 3

We came out of the lock into the Loire just before it was going to be closed for canoe races. We had to follow a dingy down one of the lanes and friends large Tjalk only just fitted between the buoys which were difficult to see from our wheelhouses.

90613E09-7CB7-4050-803F-EC81A166B2DF.jpeg

EBF15ED3-824D-4D23-B0B6-1CDB842ECF8D.jpeg

Edited by Dav and Pen
Spelling
  • Greenie 2

On this day in 2012.

autherley.JPG.3cb5fa37b2d94aea6a20c07880c53f27.JPG

Passing Autherley Junction on the Staffs and Worcs.

aldersley.JPG.d0e852de6e06569345fe0488543e66bd.JPG

Heading to Wolverhampton at Aldersley Junction. Straight in to the sun. About to disturb a maggot drowner on the lock landing.

wolverhampton-lowpound.JPG.ad3553856f60472812db78d1b9542a52.JPG

A low pound on the flight.

wolverhampton-top.JPG.c098712d1f9b48afe25abdf467c7a17f.JPG

Wolverhampton. Top lock.

• Greenie 1

25 minutes ago, John Liley said:

I enjoyed all your recent photographs. You certainly travelled!

Thank you. We certainly enjoyed our travels with NC. She was a good boat and served us well.

We hope to have just as many adventures with the van in the coming years.