Tonic required. Send in your photos of what is nice on the waterways now.

DandV

Featured Posts

3 hours ago, PeterScott said:

On this day in 2003

spacer.png

The challenge is to pass through without touching and without slowing down. Barton Turnover Bridge No 36 T&M ...

spacer.png

... Tatenhill Lock nearby  Compare 20Apr2010 22Aug2017 13Oct2019

spacer.png

It is no harder to get through that bridge than one with a towpath - just looks it!

I seem to remember several such towpath-less bridges on (I think) the Southern Stratford canal the last time we were there some 40 years ago. You just had to line up one side of the boat with the arch on that side to just miss it, and let the other side take care of itself.  No need to reduce revs unless another boat was coming.

Edited by Ronaldo47
typos

12 minutes ago, Ronaldo47 said:

I seem to remember several such towpath-less bridges on (I think) the Southern Stratford canal the last time we were there some 40 years ago. You just had to line up one side of the boat with the arch on that side to just miss it, and let the other side take care of itself.  No need to reduce revs unless another boat was coming.

smallDSCF5229.jpg

10 hours ago, Pluto said:

I wasn't suggesting that it doesn't matter, but pointing out that, geographically, the UK is different to the European mainland. Our water resources are much smaller and the locations for modern inland waterways much more restricted. There is certainly a place for development of very specific traffics, but UK inland waterways cannot address national and international traffics in the same way as on the European mainland. The cost of loading and unloading makes it difficult to develop an economic argument for UK waterway improvement for internal traffics. Pallets are a possiblity, but today's UK brickfields are not in places suitable for water transport, and once something has to be put on a lorry, it may as well stay there for trips of a couple of hundred miles. Perhaps if industry was encouraged to move to sites suitable for good water transport, such as the lower Aire valley, the lower Severn and the Mersey, there would be an argument for improvements, but successive governments see service industries as more important than manufacturing, which effectively negates the need for inland water transport. There are not sufficient suitable waterways for improvement which serve areas which require such transport. Most of our larger waterways were improved to serve specific industries: export coal on the A&CN, salt on the Weaver; whilst the Severn was never improved properly because it did not serve such industries. The A&CN could be improved for River-Sea vessels trading into Europe, but I suspect Brexit will have put an end to that possibility unless a duty free port is developed alongside the A&CN or S&SYN.

I agree with much of what you say ( though I do not get the issues of water supply that you earlier quoted). I simply suggest that when possibilities of freight by water arise that they should be pressed. The Aire & Calder contract for washed sand presents just such an opportunity. 

To quote the late Robert Aickman, whom I knew,  disliked on various grounds, but admired, nonetheless:

"I abhor the concept of waterways being largely obsolete but fun to play about with. I believe it to be not only unworthy but unworkable."

We move into emotional territory here, but, with the ongoing crisis in C&RT's finances, let alone the looming disaster of global warming, could he not be right?  The Aire & Calder scheme presents a chance, by association, for our waterway system to gather purpose and thereby esteem. In terms of public perception it would help enormously if news of what goes on  in the Netherlands, Belgium or France (by no means as far away as Mars) should be spread around by those of us who can.

The Aire & Calder meanwhile, after it burst its bank late last year, was left piled off, for four whole months, before repairs even began. Scarcely a pinnacle of zest. I know what Robert Aickman would have said. Very publicly too.

DSC_0200.jpg

• Greenie 1

8 hours ago, John Liley said:

I agree with much of what you say ( though I do not get the issues of water supply that you earlier quoted). I simply suggest that when possibilities of freight by water arise that they should be pressed. The Aire & Calder contract for washed sand presents just such an opportunity. 

To quote the late Robert Aickman, whom I knew,  disliked on various grounds, but admired, nonetheless:

"I abhor the concept of waterways being largely obsolete but fun to play about with. I believe it to be not only unworthy but unworkable."

We move into emotional territory here, but, with the ongoing crisis in C&RT's finances, let alone the looming disaster of global warming, could he not be right?  The Aire & Calder scheme presents a chance, by association, for our waterway system to gather purpose and thereby esteem. In terms of public perception it would help enormously if news of what goes on  in the Netherlands, Belgium or France (by no means as far away as Mars) should be spread around by those of us who can.

The Aire & Calder meanwhile, after it burst its bank late last year, was left piled off, for four whole months, before repairs even began. Scarcely a pinnacle of zest. I know what Robert Aickman would have said. Very publicly too.

Oi !!    This Fred is s'posed to about wot is NICE on the waterways now.     :judge:

9 hours ago, John Liley said:

DSC_0200.jpg

...The Aire & Calder meanwhile, after it burst its bank late last year, was left piled off, for four whole months, before repairs even began. ...

1 hour ago, Murflynn said:

...NICE on the waterways...

"Tomorrow" (4July) in 2014 when it was possible to navigate through the bridge in the background to the breach picture

L2185_20140704_0266s.jpg.7a878f9dde55d31b549f741e5e467f81.jpg

Reading C&RT's notices about the breach are interesting

21/12/2020 14:22 Navigation remains closed ... work with East Riding of Yorkshire Council, Humberside Police, Humberside Fire & Rescue, the Environment Agency, Snaith & Cowick Town Council and the Internal Drainage Board in addressing the structure failure that occurred on Sunday 20th December 2020.

23/12/2020 13:40 ... placed around 150 tonne bags of stone on either side of the breach hole .... the helicopter placing probably around another 100 bags of stone, to shore up the hole. Once enough have been placed we will start to place clay around the bags to create a watertight seal...

02/01/2021 13:01 To reduce water levels at breach site ... levels from Ferrybridge Lock to Pollington Lock have been slightly reduced and the locks closed for public use.

06/01/2021 09:34 ... inspections of the breach site twice per day ...  the repair is structurally sound and there is no further flood risk.  ... project team met on Monday 4 January to begin work to repair the breach. ... This will ... piling across the navigation to create a cofferdam. The design of these temporary works has commenced. Once the cofferdam is in place, which we expect to be in the next few weeks, the water in the canal can be pumped around it in order to ensure a constant water supply to feed Goole docks. Until the cofferdam is in place it is difficult to be precise how long a permanent repair will take as this very much depends on what damage we find once the water is removed.

19/02/2021 10:41 Works at the breach continue ...

25/02/2021 11:02 The breach site has now been dewatered to provide access for inspection and investigation works to be carried out and to allow repairs to commence.

04/03/2021 07:39 The cofferdam has now been installed. Next week ... dewater the site and carry out a fish rescue ... Shortly after this, we will conduct our first detailed site investigation ... to assess the damage and decide on the repair programme to be undertaken.  

05/03/2021 09:07 A problem with the seal at the breach site has resulted in an inflow of water from the downstream end that our contractors are currently attending to.

16/03/2021 07:28 The downstream seal of the cofferdam has been fixed temporarily....  A robust fix is currently being implemented to secure the seal.

Dewatering of the cofferdam is now programmed for week commencing 22nd March with breach investigations to follow.

26/03/2021 08:06 ...  final stages of making the cofferdam watertight, to enable the cofferdam to be dewatered. ...  carry out the first detailed inspection at the breach site shortly after Easter.

30/03/2021 08:18 ... experienced a few challenges with the coffer dams at the breach site ... work continues at the breach site on the long term repair.

Later notices are about navigation rather than the progress of repairs.

1 hour ago, Murflynn said:

Oi !!    This Fred is s'posed to about wot is NICE on the waterways now.     :judge:

Perhaps the ability to take heavy goods traffic off our roads in an environmentally sustainable fashion should be regarded as one of the 'nice' things about waterways. It was why they came into being in the first place.( I am not generally into the emoticon thing, but will ;-)do?)

Bit of freight on the  Marne canal July 2012. The spits was owned by George and Helen Smith now retired and back in Braunston. The cargo petro coke from a refinery in Belgium to a cement works on the Rhone.

FEFE4C12-52E8-4784-BEEE-3398E10BA0A0.jpeg

• Greenie 3

8 hours ago, Dav and Pen said:

Bit of freight on the  Marne canal July 2012. The spits was owned by George and Helen Smith now retired and back in Braunston. The cargo petro coke from a refinery in Belgium to a cement works on the Rhone.

FEFE4C12-52E8-4784-BEEE-3398E10BA0A0.jpeg

Haven't seen Helen for many years but if she ever gets around to writing any sort of book about her life and boats I for one would buy it like a shot. Someone should try and persuade her or George to write it down.

22 minutes ago, Bee said:

Haven't seen Helen for many years but if she ever gets around to writing any sort of book about her life and boats I for one would buy it like a shot. Someone should try and persuade her or George to write it down.

They are both ok. George had a stent put in last year. I will tell them what you have said. Their work on the continent would have made a good video series much more interesting than most of them , plus  all the camping boating before. They certainly have a story to tell.

20 hours ago, RebeccaM said:

July 2021 - Berkhamsted (Lock 53 and Lower Kings Road Bridge), Marsworth Lock 40, Heron near Cheddington

small_canal_day3_041.jpg

small_canal_day4_023.jpg

Things come and go but Wyvern Narrowboats go on for ever. Our first-ever U.K. hire boat, about 1994, was a Wyvern, and it looked just like that one

Edited by Athy