Tonic required. Send in your photos of what is nice on the waterways now.

DandV

Featured Posts

1 hour ago, PeterScott said:

spacer.pngOn this day in 1978

Reach Lode Sluice, Reach Lode off River Cam, and a weedcutter on the Lode

21 minutes ago, Scholar Gypsy said:

Thank you, that's fascinating. I had no idea that the outer gates were converted to a guillotine so recently. The gate recesses are still visible.  The inner gate is dated about 1960 - I was there only yesterday. 

spacer.png

Gosh, yes, gate recesses are clear. (Geograph pic by Richard Humphrey 27Sep2015)

We haven't been on the Cam (except on a punt) since that 1978 trip. Didn't know it was now a guillotine at both ends.

Edited by PeterScott
year

3 minutes ago, PeterScott said:

spacer.png

Gosh, yes, gate recesses are clear. (Geograph pic by Richard Humphrey 27Sep2015)

We haven't been on the Cam (except on a punt) since that 1978 trip. Didn't know it was now a guillotine at both ends.

It also automatically resets itself (as in the photo) 15 minutes after the lock is operated. The outer gate opens about three feet (the bottom is just about at water level) and the inner gate lifts a few inches to let the water out of the Lode onto the Cam. When the Cam is in flood the lock is closed and the pumping station (in the background) lifts water from the Lode up into the Cam

I  have promised Tim Lewis a trip up the backs on my narrowboat this winter - any other Fulbourne owners would be welcome too.  

12 minutes ago, Scholar Gypsy said:

I  have promised Tim Lewis a trip up the backs on my narrowboat this winter - any other Fulbourne owners would be welcome too.  

On 22/06/2021 at 19:58, Tim Lewis said:

I have three work days left until I retire on Friday ?

L2822_20181027_0050s.jpg.da57e17570d9c3a1a5173b184e3859c2.jpgThat would be fun ... and Tim seems to have just joined those of us with more navigation time ?

• Greenie 1

On this day in 2014

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

Leeds Lock  A+C and Knight's Way Bridge and Crown Point Weir Leeds  A+C

Compare  17Oct2007  20Dec2011  10Jan2012  23Jan2013  27Mar2013/27Mar2014  19Mar2015  10Nov2015  25Nov2015  26Dec2015  19Sep2017  11Sep2018  8Mar2019  6Feb2020  9Jul2020  30Jan2021

13 hours ago, PeterScott said:

spacer.png

And here it is in 2001. We got this far under the gate...

Ouse15.JPG

... when the bow was here:

Ouse16.JPG

Shame they didn't take the opportunity of the new guillotine to lengthen the lock!

• Greenie 1

On this day in 2014

spacer.png

Knostrop Flood Lock A+C Leeds The rotating footbridge over the old flood lock, now no longer used as a floodlock because of the Leeds Flood Alleviation scheme which incorporated the canal section into a widened river,  Compare 26Feb2013  18Jul2020

43 minutes ago, John Liley said:

Laundry time of the Marne-Rhine Canal. If I remember, this deep lock was an exception amongst the many.

PICT0609.jpg

If I remember right that lock has a complicated system of pipes, syphons and all sorts of French plumbing to fill and empty it and it accomplishes it in about the same time as an ordinary lock. There is a diagram on the lockside that left me none the wiser. There is also a ladder so you can climb out if you have a problem.  I reckon I could do it my wife might and the poor old dog would have to go down with the boat.

2 hours ago, Bee said:

If I remember right that lock has a complicated system of pipes, syphons and all sorts of French plumbing to fill and empty it and it accomplishes it in about the same time as an ordinary lock. There is a diagram on the lockside that left me none the wiser. There is also a ladder so you can climb out if you have a problem.  I reckon I could do it my wife might and the poor old dog would have to go down with the boat.

Can’t say I liked that lock at all. Having been involved with the making of concrete for many years I wasn’t keen on all the flaking and cracks in the walls and was pleased to get out of it.

34 minutes ago, Dav and Pen said:

Can’t say I liked that lock at all. Having been involved with the making of concrete for many years I wasn’t keen on all the flaking and cracks in the walls and was pleased to get out of it.

There was a similar feeling - which was verbally expressed - in our hire car while driving to our family holiday five years ago when we finally crawled off the far end of the Morandi bridge in Genoa during a huge traffic jam.

Sometimes such fears are justified.

5 hours ago, John Liley said:

Laundry time of the Marne-Rhine Canal. If I remember, this deep lock was an exception amongst the many.

I love the Marne au Rhin canal. We walked round to look at the old canal line that was bypassed by the deep lock there. Nancy is one of our favourite places.

Tam

DSCN0029 rev.jpg

DSCN0036 copy.JPG

Edited by Tam & Di

13 hours ago, Paul HD said:

I was on the Thames this week and this beauty passed me. The lady informed me it was from 1892.

Fantastic looking narrowboat.

DSC_0943.jpg.89a2b679fb5067ae61376c4d84af1cd0.jpg

I'd be very surprised if the hull was as old as that, and the top obviously isn't. What is it that appeals to you? Obviously beauty is in the eye of the beholder, but for me it is just a fairly ordinary conversion on an old joey and I I can't say that it has anything particular to recommend it.

Tam

(p.s. that's not meant as a put-down, but I just can't see what you see)

Edited by Tam & Di

On this day in 2001

spacer.png

spacer.png

Stoke T&M

from railway footbridge

looking south (above)

and north (below)

Compare 

21May1972 

14Sep1977 

26May1991