Tonic required. Send in your photos of what is nice on the waterways now.

DandV

Featured Posts

On the Grand Canal D'Alsace (France on the left bank, Germany on the right) there are few places to stop for the night. When two French petroliers turned up we let them lie alongside the Arthur, with a long line from their sterns to the pontoon we were against.

This had the bonus, for us, of shielding us from the wash of all-night traffic, while they, genial characters, assured us it made no difference to them. They left mighty early, though, which meant we had to follow soon after.

PICT0279.jpg

• Greenie 2

On 27/05/2021 at 19:56, PeterScott said:

On [27 May] in 2012spacer.png

River Thames London. Jubilee Pageant rehearsal

On 27/05/2021 at 23:26, David Mack said:

In glorious sunshine!?  Unlike the real thing!!

On Jubilee Pageant Day, 3 June 2012, there was a hint of dampness in the air ...

spacer.png

spacer.png

Remembering HRH Prince Philip, who reviewed the whole pageant as it passed by for three hours, and spent time in hospital shortly afterwards. "He stood throughout most of Sunday's river pageant in the cold and rain, and seemed in good spirits, even jigging to the Hornpipe."

Postings of the Pageant from 2020, start here

Edited by PeterScott

52 minutes ago, PeterScott said:

On Jubilee Pageant Day, 3 June 2012, there was a hint of dampness in the air ...

"Hint of...". You, sir, are a master of understatement!

After all the main festivities were concluded we narrow boats spent hours circling round between the Woolwich Barrier (closed for the occasion) and Greenwich, not being allowed to take up our allocated locking slot into the West India Docks, as all the poor sods in the open boats were deemed to be a higher priority. And I recall hearing a couple of emergency calls to take children off some of the rowing boats, who were suffering from hypothermia!

The Pageant rules did not allow us to have solid fuel stoves alight while on parade. Fulbourne has no other heating, so there came a point in the evening when we threw caution to the winds and lit the stove anyway!

Edited by David Mack

On 01/06/2021 at 16:48, John Liley said:

I believe The Stone Barge later acquired a name and was involved in the grain traffic between Tilbury and the River Wey.

PICT0699.jpg

Although always referred to as the Stone Barge she was a registered ship as Clinton. We bought her from the Nene Barge & Lighter Co in 1979 for the work we'd contracted with Allied Mills for carriage of grain Tilbury to Weybridge - a revival of work previously done by Wm Stevens with unpowered wooden barges. It's easy to see why we had to do some replating on the bottom.

Tam

z.Clinton rev.jpg

• Greenie 4

9 hours ago, David Mack said:

After all the main festivities were concluded we narrow boats spent hours circling round between the Woolwich Barrier (closed for the occasion) and Greenwich, not being allowed to take up our allocated locking slot into the West India Docks, as all the poor sods in the open boats were deemed to be a higher priority. And I recall hearing a couple of emergency calls to take children off some of the rowing boats, who were suffering from hypothermia!...

Any excuse, then, for reposting a video, which I added to the list as we were going along. It generated discussion here of the uselessness of the BBC coverage,

(video) steering Fulbourne 'round again' waiting for West India Dock entrance lock to be available. ETA 2130

On 24/05/2021 at 21:33, PeterScott said:

And nearer Acton Bridge

spacer.png

Lovely little boat is Anna, a half scale twist on an L&L short boat.  Built by Roger Lorenz in the hold of Viktoria.

Alan and Anna starred in a German and French film about the L&L that might be of interest to some on here.

• Greenie 1

1 hour ago, TheBiscuits said:

Lovely little boat is Anna, a half scale twist on an L&L short boat.  Built by Roger Lorenz in the hold of Viktoria.

Alan and Anna starred in a German and French film about the L&L that might be of interest to some on here.

He also did one for Bavarian TV back in 1992.

1 minute ago, PeterScott said:

On this day in 2013spacer.png

spacer.png

Public Art. Hillmorton Locks Oxford C

I used to like Hillmorton Locks. But these days, what with the graffiti and the sleepily incompetent lock volunteers, I'm pleased to get them behind me.

13 hours ago, TheBiscuits said:

Thanks for the link to the film, very interesting and a chance to practice my German, although you can usually hear the English under the dubbed German commentary.  Not just the canal aspects (such as the Bingley 5 rise lock) but what there is to see along the way: the scenery, sheep farms, markets, textile museum powered by the original steam engine,  an indian wedding , the Grand National, etc.  The first time I have seen a view of the Canal Turn from the canal!