Tonic required. Send in your photos of what is nice on the waterways now.

DandV

Featured Posts

On this day in 2017

spacer.png

Market Drayton SU. and north of here, a tussle with a rope (the digger is incidental to the drama) to rescuse the excessively black bovine from t'cut, and being rescued independence was asserted by having more pulling-power than the assembled company at t'other end of said rope.

spacer.pngspacer.png

On this day in 1993

spacer.png

spacer.png

Ladywood Junction

Western end of Oozells Street Loop / BCN Main Line

Compare

3Jul2005

(smaller pic)

Also 8May1999

from the dull white rectangular building in the distance main pic

More sevenths of April

Edited by PeterScott
extra pic

35 minutes ago, Dav and Pen said:

A proper ship even if it has got some containers on board.

Absolutely, but already very near to the end of their life. By that time (1972) we were already on the second generation of box boats. 

Howard

1 hour ago, Victor Vectis said:

Any offers as to where the canal is/was in relation to this pic?

As I recall from researching the area when we visited last in 2019 (we left our boat in Plank Lane marina for a trip back home), Bickershaw Colliery was extensive and an area north of the canal and bridge. Now much of its is the marina basin and a large housing estate. see https://maps.nls.uk/view/101103656. The colliery appears on the 1894 edition but not on the 1849 one.  see https://maps.nls.uk/view/101103656 However, the latter does show two tram road tracks which later became more extensive (Bickershaw Sidings) so perhaps it was just under construction at that time. 

I haven't looked it up again but I also recall that there is a local authority development plan for the area which was interesting to see.

• Greenie 1

5 hours ago, Victor Vectis said:

The photo seems to be taken from the canal looking northwards - see this photo which helps - Plank Lane Bascule Bridge © Raymond Knapman cc-by-sa/2.0 :: Geograph Britain and Ireland

Here is the OS from 1965:Capture.JPG.dc7ce7dfde0fafffac0dd063512fb854.JPG

Edited by John Brightley

19 hours ago, PeterScott said:

spacer.pngspacer.pngOn [7Apr] in 1977

Plank Lane and at the colliery it was snowing

6 hours ago, Victor Vectis said:

4 hours ago, Mike Todd said:

...Bickershaw Colliery was extensive and an area north of the canal and bridge. Now much of its is the marina basin and a large housing estate. see https://maps.nls.uk/view/101103656. The colliery appears on the 1894 edition but not on the 1849 one.  see https://maps.nls.uk/view/101103656 However, the latter does show two tram road tracks which later became more extensive (Bickershaw Sidings) ...

1 hour ago, John Brightley said:

Capture.JPG.dc7ce7dfde0fafffac0dd063512fb854.JPGThe photo seems to be taken from the canal looking northwards - see this photo which helps

Here is the OS from 1965:

OldMAp2-ad.jpg.659a1dc942f6d8fcb03b4b7b8de48ecc.jpg

NewMap2-a.jpg.d9853ede6f1f9e53a26c4adf12076b5e.jpg

Yes, excellent sleuthing; roads have been realigned for the new marina and new housing since the colliery was dismantled. The first picture of the bus was taken just north the lift bridge, and then walking in the direction of the bus (in the snow) was the view of the colliery railway and steam engine.

Pics from May 2019 approaching liftbridge, and the marinaP5217183s.jpg.99d67c4ee1ca1a6c8c29b1a5d53b1f4f.jpg

P5217181s.jpg.76ebf3265f8664cf15069fee1684131c.jpg

Edited by PeterScott
  • Greenie 1

Thanks for those replies.

I've been looking on old OS maps, Streetview etc. and reckoned that photo was taken looking towards the pit from the lift bridge with the new marina being where those buildings (pit offices?) are to the right.

We came through there back in 2013. That whole area had been flattened.  The marina was in water but empty of boats. The next time we passed through new housing had started to mushroom up.

It was difficult to believe the pit had ever existed.

Comparing what is there now with the 1977, I think I prefer the latter.

(But then I am something of a dinosaur when it comes to the coal indusrty)