Tonic required. Send in your photos of what is nice on the waterways now.

DandV

Featured Posts

On this day in 2013

spacer.png

... and the snow has gone by this day in 2014

spacer.png

spacer.png

... and returning to this day in 2013 and the snow:

spacer.png

Knight's Way Bridge and Crown Point Weir Leeds  A+C and Leeds Lock  A+C

Compare  17Oct2007  20Dec2011  10Jan2012  23Jan2013  19Mar2015  10Nov2015  25Nov2015  26Dec2015  19Sep2017  11Sep2018  8Mar2019  6Feb2020  9Jul2020  30Jan2021

John’s post of the pair with tomato purée  has the photo reversed expect it was a 35mm slide. I hope he doesn’t mind but I’ve managed to put it right. 

6A4D7B3D-9032-4E64-86B7-FA00BE345547.jpeg

Edited by Dav and Pen
Content
  • Greenie 3
  • Haha 1

14 hours ago, John Liley said:

Once at Wellingborough, they would have to wait with Whitworth's Miill just before them , it being the time of Whitworth's employees two-week holiday, so the boat crews need not have hurried up the GU after all.

It was ever thus. The barrelboats run Brentford-Boxmoor, 30 miles and 36 locks, was 12 hours loaded. We'd get away about 10.00 am and were expected for 0700 next morning. All too often we had the boats stripped down waiting for the crane, only to be told that they were doing a lorry first "as he's got a 2 hour drive back to Birmingham"!

Here in Lock 80 (never had any other name) is an early trip when we had Bude on lease from BW. The hair of our two boys is a fairly obvious pointer to the period.

Tam

(I'm glad Dav and Pen have put the chimney back on the correct side of John's photo    ? )

Towcester & Bude 1973 .jpg

Edited by Tam & Di
  • Greenie 3

1 hour ago, Dav and Pen said:

John’s post of the pair with tomato purée  has the photo reversed expect it was a 35mm slide. I hope he doesn’t mind but I’ve managed to put it right. 

6A4D7B3D-9032-4E64-86B7-FA00BE345547.jpeg

Thanks to all. I'm forever doing this, ie reversing photos. Must try harder. JL

1 hour ago, Tam & Di said:

The hair of our two boys is a fairly obvious pointer to the period.

Tam

As is that of the captain!

I see Bude regularly when we go down to Cropredy, as she's moored there. We're on hello terms with the owner. The boat has a full conversion and looks well cared for. My apologies if you already knew this.

4 hours ago, Tam & Di said:

It was ever thus. The barrelboats run Brentford-Boxmoor, 30 miles and 36 locks, was 12 hours loaded. We'd get away about 10.00 am and were expected for 0700 next morning. All too often we had the boats stripped down waiting for the crane, only to be told that they were doing a lorry first "as he's got a 2 hour drive back to Birmingham"!

Here in Lock 80 (never had any other name) is an early trip when we had Bude on lease from BW. The hair of our two boys is a fairly obvious pointer to the period.

Tam

(I'm glad Dav and Pen have put the chimney back on the correct side of John's photo    ?

Towcester & Bude 1973 .jpg

Nice photo and nice to see the people that have a genuine passion for the canals.

Would rather see photo’s like this then watch any of the Vlogs of the New generation boaters. 

On this day in 2017

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.pngFrom Hassall Green Bottom Lock No 58 T&M -  Compare posting from 2020, also taken this day 2017. The M6 hereabouts was being converted to all-lane running, which brings the car transporters traffic much closer to the canal.

And standing on a bollard at Wheelock Bottom Lock No 66 - As You Do.

More twentysevenths of March

(Unrelated to the bollard pic) my favourite posting from this day 2020

frog

spacer.png

13 minutes ago, PeterScott said:

On this day in 1998

spacer.png

spacer.png

Hawkesbury Junction CoventryC/OxfordC Compare  #2135 (1953) #1651 (1989) #4021  #4670 (1996) #424 (2002) #2388 (2015) #2903 (2016) #2698 (2020) also #2905

Does the Engine House Trust (if that's what they're called) actually do anything to that building? We've been past it numerous times over the years, and it never seems to change much.

55 minutes ago, Athy said:

Does the [Hawkesbury] Engine House Trust ... actually do anything to that building? We've been past it numerous times over the years, and it never seems to change much.

L02628s.jpg.f7968627efb2a49b4c8beb518f9e881f.jpg

From Sept 1979 - when visitors were allowed inside, but it has been bricked-up for many years.

The Charities website and here say the HAWKESBURY ENGINE HOUSE TRUST was registered on 18Mar1980 and removed on 16Sep2009 - that could be a technical thing, maybe, on becoming a  charitable incorporated organisation (CIO) or it might just have given up ??

spacer.png

'Our Warwickshire' recognises ithe Pumphouse as a separate historic site. The site seems to have some public funding, and as a serendipitous contribution, has this the somewhat irrelevant picture of elephants and Woolworths in Nuneaton in 1974

spacer.png

Edited by PeterScott
extra pic

3 minutes ago, PeterScott said:

L02628s.jpg.f7968627efb2a49b4c8beb518f9e881f.jpg

From Sept 1979 - when visitors were allowed inside, but it has been bricked-up for many years.

The Charities website and here say the HAWKESBURY ENGINE HOUSE TRUST was registered on 18Mar1980 and removed on 16Sep2009 - that could be a technical thing, maybe, on becoming a  charitable incorporated organisation (CIO) or it might just have given up ??

'Our Warwickshire' recognises ithe Pumphouse as a separate historic site. The site seems to have some public funding, and as a serendipitous contribution, has this the somewhat irrelevant picture of elephants and Woolworths in Nuneaton in 1974

spacer.png

A small Woolworth towing a large Woolworth.