Tonic required. Send in your photos of what is nice on the waterways now.

DandV

Featured Posts

Two ways of turning a corner, on the Canal de l'Est,(southern portion) and the Rhone-Rhine Canal. The latter was scheduled in the 1970s for large-scale enlargement, a move with major economic consequences, but was cancelled by the French government in the face of local protest. Environmental concern, ironically, was the explanation given 

Arth 1.jpeg

Arth 2.jpeg

• Greenie 2

49 minutes ago, John Liley said:

Two ways of turning a corner, on the Canal de l'Est,(southern portion) and the Rhone-Rhine Canal. The latter was scheduled in the 1970s for large-scale enlargement, a move with major economic consequences, but was cancelled by the French government in the face of local protest. Environmental concern, ironically, was the explanation given

I remember that! The Green Party managed to hold the balance of power in the election as I recall, and argued that development of the Rhone-Rhine would destroy a natural habitat for wildlife - i.e. the existing smaller guage canal.

55 minutes ago, John Liley said:

Arth 2.jpeg

I once turned into the Wardle Canal after exiting Kings lock like that, just for the hell of it.

On our trip across Sweden by Gota Canal, they used the technique on one tricky corner which I reported as "This is a tricky feat of navigation; first the ship must turn upstream into a flowing river section using some impressive "proper boating" techniques. As the ship passed close to the shore, the "jump-ashore Johnny" (in this case a particularly athletic crew-member whose nickname was Tarzan) leapt to the bank and ran ahead. A crew-member on the bows threw him a line with a loop on the end, which he dropped over a substantial strapping post which turned the ship part-way upstream. As the ship continued without slowing down, he lifted the line and transferred it to another post further ahead to turn a little further, and then repeated the exercise on a third post to complete the turn into the river before taking a flying leap back on board. It was wonderful to see this traditional technique being employed here to such good effect, even if most of the other passengers did not appreciate or understand it."

SAM_0817r.jpg

4 minutes ago, Keeping Up said:

On our trip across Sweden by Gota Canal, they used the technique on one tricky corner which I reported as "This is a tricky feat of navigation; first the ship must turn upstream into a flowing river section using some impressive "proper boating" techniques. As the ship passed close to the shore, the "jump-ashore Johnny" (in this case a particularly athletic crew-member whose nickname was Tarzan) leapt to the bank and ran ahead. A crew-member on the bows threw him a line with a loop on the end, which he dropped over a substantial strapping post which turned the ship part-way upstream. As the ship continued without slowing down, he lifted the line and transferred it to another post further ahead to turn a little further, and then repeated the exercise on a third post to complete the turn into the river before taking a flying leap back on board. It was wonderful to see this traditional technique being employed here to such good effect, even if most of the other passengers did not appreciate or understand it."

SAM_0817r.jpg

They have some interesting boating techniques, H&S seams a bit low on the list in some casses 

6 hours ago, John Liley said:

Arth 1.jpeg

Arth 2.jpeg

I got caught out by the bend after the tunnel on the Rhone Rhin canal  and we were only 24m but didn’t know it was there 

2 hours ago, ditchcrawler said:

They have some interesting boating techniques, H&S seams a bit low on the list in some casses 

I think that could be said about a great deal of the traditional boating techniques, and traditional boating equipment.

9 hours ago, PeterScott said:

Excellent online talk yesterday evening on the Uttoxeter Canal by SteveWood including the current planning application to obstruct the line of the canal at Froghall,...

... with serendipitous links to:

L04489s.jpg.31d3cd55717bfb162b98e93b81644aa3.jpgL1390_20071109_0016s.jpg.f8896def9a56887c96625500005c07a6.jpg

L2553_20161117_0039s.jpg.b9ff886cc3be1a990f5c4c0985b6c7ad.jpgStart with Steve leading a (very wet) walk along the Burslem Arm in 2016. Yesterday's talk, by happenstance, was in parallel to Radio4's Any Questions  advertised as "Chris Mason presents ...discussion with the Home Office Minister Victoria Atkins MP, ...Daisy Cooper MP, ...Thangam Debbonaire MP and ... Lord Sumption.", the first of whom is the Member of Parliament for the Louth Canal, and hence the 1983 picture of Tetney Lock. Steve's encouragement of opposition to the recent planning application brought to mind the 2007 Westminster Hall debate initiated by Charlotte Atkins, then MP for Staffordshire Moorlands "The project [to bring back life to the Uttoxeter canal] is close to my heart because it would start at Froghall on the edge of my constituency. " and included mention that Staffordshire county council, Staffordshire Moorlands district council and East Staffordshire borough council had all endorsed the project.

The other picture is the Wyre Aqueduct, Lancaster Canal, within the boundaries of the (old) Parliamentary Constituency of Preston North, where we might imagine the Election broadcast of the 3 May 1979 General Election: "Over now to a declaration: the marginal constituency of Preston North, we remember the victory for the Conservatives in 1964 by fourteen votes in the closest election this century ... here now is ... being the Deputy Returning Officer for the said constituency I hereby declare that the votes cast in the election were as follows: Atkins, Robert (voice off: Conservative) eighteen thousand six hundred and thirty two (muffled cheers); Atkins, Ronald (voice off: Labour) eighteen thousand six hundred and three (exstatic cheers drown out the rest) (voice off: that's a Conservative gain, twenty nine votes overturning a Labour majority of just under eighteen hundred: a Conservative gain and Mrs Thatcher set fair to become the first ..." The late Ronald Atkins MP was father to Charlotte Atkins. Sir Robert Atkins is father to Victoria Atkins, and later became a junior minister in the Environment Department, and is currently a trustee of the IWA. As far as we know, there is no further family (nor party-political) connection between the two Atkins families, all of whom have been supportive of the waterways.

Such is how to occupy a lockdown afternoon with Wikipedia ...

24 minutes ago, PeterScott said:

... being the Deputy Returning Officer for the said constituency I hereby declare that the votes cast in the election were as follows: Atkins, Robert (voice off: Conservative) eighteen thousand six hundred and thirty two (muffled cheers); Atkins, Ronald (voice off: Labour) eighteen thousand six hundred and three (exstatic cheers drown out the rest) (voice off: that's a Conservative gain, twenty nine votes overturning a Labour majority of just under eighteen hundred: a Conservative gain and Mrs Thatcher set fair to become the first ...

And I wonder how many voters in that 1979 election got confused about which R Atkins they wanted to vote for?

Edited by David Mack

29 minutes ago, PeterScott said:

Steve's encouragement of opposition to the recent planning application

Such is how to occupy a lockdown afternoon with Wikipedia ...

And I spent the afternoon at the HNBC virtual AGM, where Steve Wood described the recent planning application at Froghall, and urged members to submit their objection to the building over the line of the Uttoxeter Canal before the deadline of 23 March.

(See the application and how to object at http://publicaccess.staffsmoorlands.gov.uk/portal/servlets/ApplicationSearchServlet?PKID=142566)

Edited by David Mack

19 hours ago, John Liley said:

Arth 1.jpeg

Arth 2.jpeg

Interesting little tunnel directly above the actual boat tunnel, presumably that was from the days when barges were hauled by teams of dogs 

• Greenie 1

17 minutes ago, Bee said:

Interesting little tunnel directly above the actual boat tunnel, presumably that was from the days when barges were hauled by teams of dogs 

Well spotted (must have been dalmatians, then).

The Rhone-Rhine Canal again. This tunnel, the Souterrain de Thoraise, has since my photos, had a light sculpture installed above each entrance, with curtains of water to get through for those who are afloat.

At an earlier lock, the loaded peniche, seen earlier, had to come out of the current at a lock entrance, approaching at minimal speed, then, once the bow touched, carefully motoring round, until straight. This is a dramatic waterway on the western side, but dangerous in in times of flood, with weirs to run alongside. There are also large rocks, with maps at the lockside, sometimes, to show where they are. 

The eastern end iwe found very different, with many locks and travelling keepers, with lots of sluice-winding to be done.

Screen Shot 2021-03-14 at 16.59.39.png

Arth 3.jpeg

Screen Shot 2021-03-14 at 17.00.35.png

Screen Shot 2021-03-14 at 16.58.31.png

Screen Shot 2021-03-14 at 17.18.11.png

• Greenie 3