Tonic required. Send in your photos of what is nice on the waterways now.

DandV

Featured Posts

14 hours ago, buccaneer66 said:

Some nice machinery in there.

When we first got Rowner lock on the Wey & Arun working years ago the bottom gates we had rebuilt from EX GU gates obtained on the very cheap from BW, we stripped them down and cut off the bad bits as we needed to make them narrower and shallower, trying to drill bolt holes in that black very seasoned timber was incredibly hard going.

And just remember that the originals were made with no power tools!

On this day in 2015

spacer.png

spacer.pngChain Ferry. Cowes

and from 11Feb2018, in Portsmouth Harbour

"Not unnaturally, many elevators imbued with intelligence and precognition became terribly frustrated with the mindless business of going up and down, up and down, experimented briefly with the notion of going sideways, as a sort of existential protest, demanded participation in the decision-making process and finally took to squatting in basements sulking." HHGTTG Douglas Adams. Sadly Douglas didn't write about the chain ferry doing a sharp-left halfway across, to chase an IOW ferry.

spacer.png

spacer.pngspacer.png

Edited by PeterScott

I went to see this barge which belonged to The Who and was moored at Pete Townshend’s house above Cleve lock on the Thames. It was one of a pair that the group brought with the idea of floating through France with one as a recording studio and this one fitted out as accommodation. The chap looking after them had the same surname as myself but no relation. It had a 5 cylinder hand start Gardner which fired up straight away. The barge type is a Hagenaar which by coincidence was what we brought some 20 odd years later. I wonder what happened to it.

2E484A6E-8A87-43D1-9BB1-79107F7D38F4.jpeg

• Greenie 1

16 minutes ago, Dav and Pen said:

I went to see this barge which belonged to The Who and was moored at Pete Townshend’s house above Cleve lock on the Thames. It was one of a pair that the group brought with the idea of floating through France with one as a recording studio and this one fitted out as accommodation. The chap looking after them had the same surname as myself but no relation. It had a 5 cylinder hand start Gardner which fired up straight away. The barge type is a Hagenaar which by coincidence was what we brought some 20 odd years later. I wonder what happened to it.

2E484A6E-8A87-43D1-9BB1-79107F7D38F4.jpeg

Phew! The French don't realise how close they came to having Keith Moon cruising through La France Profonde.