Tonic required. Send in your photos of what is nice on the waterways now.

DandV

Featured Posts

On this day in 2014

spacer.png

spacer.png

Ladybower. The plughole and the two sides of the dam. Compare waterlevels with 4Feb1996

spacer.pngspacer.png

On 04/02/2021 at 12:39, Athy said:

I well remember the day that, as a small boy, I walked around the dried-out bed of Ladybower Dam (as it was known locally) with my parents. My Dad said that the remains were of the village of Ashopton, but he may have been mistaken; I think both it and Derwent were flooded when the dam was filled. The church spire of one of them protruded above the surface for some years.

spacer.pngspacer.pngA BBC item identifies this building as A pump house from Derwent village has been exposed by the low water levels and I think that's the same building in my earlier picture from the other side of the water.

1 hour ago, PeterScott said:

On this day in 2018

spacer.png

spacer.png

HMS Warrior

Portsmouth Historic Dockyard

HMS Warrior was totally rebuilt in Hartlepool over 8 years before it was moved to its permanent mooring in Portsmouth. The folk of Hartlepool were genuinely saddened to see the ship leave. They had watched it change from a floating hulk into the magnificent vessel it now is. Many people wished it could remain in Hartlepool, as a floating testimony to the craftsmanship of the people who worked on it. Warrior was replaced at the Hartlepool Museum by HMS Trincomalee, a wooden 3masted sailing frigate dating from 1817. I was lucky enough to be able to do some work on the vessel many years ago when it was based in Gosport. When I visited the ship a couple of years ago, I was pleasantly surprised to see my work still in existence, sitting there on the main deck, after almost 50 years.

• Greenie 3

22 minutes ago, monkeyhanger said:

HMS Warrior was totally rebuilt in Hartlepool over 8 years before it was moved to its permanent mooring in Portsmouth. The folk of Hartlepool were genuinely saddened to see the ship leave. They had watched it change from a floating hulk into the magnificent vessel it now is. Many people wished it could remain in Hartlepool, as a floating testimony to the craftsmanship of the people who worked on it. Warrior was replaced at the Hartlepool Museum by HMS Trincomalee, a wooden 3masted sailing frigate dating from 1817. I was lucky enough to be able to do some work on the vessel many years ago when it was based in Gosport. When I visited the ship a couple of years ago, I was pleasantly surprised to see my work still in existence, sitting there on the main deck, after almost 50 years.

I can remember Warrior while she was being refitted in British West Hartlepool - I think in the mid 1980’s  - and spent a couple of hours looking round her. A fascinating vessel and I agree that it is a shame that she didn’t stay as a major attraction but Trincomalee is a worthy substitute and looks well in the museum setting. I remember her when she was called Foudroyant and was lying afloat in Portsmouth Harbour.

Howard

2 hours ago, howardang said:

I can remember Warrior while she was being refitted in British West Hartlepool - I think in the mid 1980’s  - and spent a couple of hours looking round her. A fascinating vessel and I agree that it is a shame that she didn’t stay as a major attraction but Trincomalee is a worthy substitute and looks well in the museum setting. I remember her when she was called Foudroyant and was lying afloat in Portsmouth Harbour.

Howard

I spent a week living aboard Foudroyant, as she was then, in 1968, when she was, as you say, moored in Portsmouth Harbour. There were links between the ship and the college at which I was studying at the time, and I was lucky to be chosen to spent a week sailing and generally messing about in boats, aboard her. As a thank you we were asked if we would volunteer to do some practical work on the ship, which was more than a little run down at the time. Along with a friend, we built the capstan head to replace the old rotten one.

To cut a long story short, the ship ended up being virtually totally rebuilt by the shipwrights up in Hartlepool, and it now looks magnificent,

As I said in my earlier post, it was really gratifying to see that they'd chosen to keep my bit of handiwork amongst all the other fabulous restoration work that was done on the ship.

On this day in 1997

spacer.png

spacer.pngTrying to wind above the weir Leicester. We had started a winter-stoppage dash from Weedon, where we had been iced-in at Christmas, to Braunston for some winter-work on the boat, via Leicester Fradley and Rugby. The direct route was closed by winter maintenance of Braunston locks. We had needed to pass the Leicester North stoppage finishing on Friday evening, and then along the Trent and Mersey before another stoppage began on Monday. Having been assured by BW that Leicester North had finished on time, it was a disappointment to find that it had been extended: the BW-right had not usually knowing what its left-hand was up to. Ho hummm.

So it was return to Freeman's Lock and weir

Edited by PeterScott

1 hour ago, PeterScott said:

On this day in 1997

spacer.png

spacer.pngTrying to wind above the weir Leicester. We had started a winter-stoppage dash from Weedon, where we had been iced-in at Christmas, to Braunston for some winter-work on the boat, via Leicester Fradley and Rugby. The direct route was closed by winter maintenance of Braunston locks. We had needed to pass the Leicester North stoppage finishing on Friday evening, and then along the Trent and Mersey before another stoppage began on Monday. Having been assured by BW that Leicester North had finished on time, it was a disappointment to find that it had been extended: the BW-right had not usually knowing what its left-hand was up to. Ho hummm.

So it was return to Freeman's Lock and weir

Can I ask why does your wife always dress in that attire (bonnet, shirt/blouse, skirt) when your on the boat, as every time I see you I wonder? 

7 minutes ago, PD1964 said:

Can I ask why does your wife always dress in that attire (bonnet, shirt/blouse, skirt) when your on the boat, as every time I see you I wonder? 

Probably the same reason I always wear bib and braces overalls and a dirty old cap; keeps my pub clothes clean for later.

4 minutes ago, JamesWoolcock said:

Probably the same reason I always wear bib and braces overalls and a dirty old cap; keeps my pub clothes clean for later.

Maybe a modern twist on traditional boat woman’s dress ?? As seen them out on Copperkins a few times and always wonder.

16 minutes ago, PD1964 said:

2 minutes ago, PD1964 said:

Maybe a modern twist on traditional boat woman’s dress ?? As seen them out on Copperkins a few times and always wonder.

Yes, hopefully it is. I like it, and it is very practical, especially the bonnet, which is the best bit. It keeps me cool in hot weather and warm in cold weather and keeps the sun and rain off the back of my neck. ? And I like making the bonnets to this style, in the tradition developed by boatpeople over a couple of hundred years.  I'm also marginally allergic to sun, so long sleves and long skirt are useful. Also they are very good in rain as the skirt flaps rather than sticks, and it blow-dries well.  And a long skirt was brilliant at Wakefield IWA National Festival 1992 trapping lots of buoyancy when I fell in from the Lavender Boat while emptying elsans. 

Not quite 100% of the time, though - and other canallers don't notice me on these occasions. ...

L2321_20150430_0010a.jpg

On 30/04/2020 at 09:28, David Mack said:

The hatted-one boating unhatted?

... or most don't.

L2803_20180903_0187a.jpg

L1463_20080829_0120z.jpg

Being a museum piece at the Black Country Museum.

• Greenie 1