Tonic required. Send in your photos of what is nice on the waterways now.

DandV

Featured Posts

6 hours ago, Victor Vectis said:

spacer.png

I wondered if the Horace Batchelor boat would be putting in an appearance.

'That's K-E-Y-N-S-H-A-M'.

?

(And I'd guess anyone under 60 won't have the faintist idea what I'm on about. But then I'm so old I can remember coal mines in Yorkshire)

(1) Horace Batchelor - Keynsham thats K-E-Y-N-S-H-A-M ! - YouTube

In the md-1960's I went off to college, and met some other new students for coffee.  When we were introducing ourselves, and one guy said he was from Keynsham, all the rest of us, in perfect synchronisation said "Is that K-E-Y-N, S-H-A-M, Keynsham, Bristol?" The guy said "Yes: it's funny, everyone says that when I say where I'm from!". Turned out he didn't listen to Radio Luxembourg and had never heard of Horace Batchelor.  

Edited by Ronaldo47
Typos
  • Haha 1

18 hours ago, John Liley said:

Leeds & Liverpool short boat Arthur sits on the sand at Wells-next-the-Sea. Having left Boston on a good forecast all that changed and we were lucky to be off Wells a (necessarily) at High Water and surfed our way in.

We moved some dodgy stuff in my days of seagoing yacht delivery but never did we encounter anything so basically unseaworthy as this. With bluff bows and a propellor too near the surface ongoing progress could be nil. Also, she rolled, skidded sideways and the rudder steered the helmsman rather than the other way round. I would honestly have preferred a narrow boat. 

We made it onwards the next day, all the way to Brentford in flat calm. We were lucky

Screen Shot 2021-02-06 at 15.37.11.png

Screen Shot 2021-02-06 at 15.36.43.png

Screen Shot 2021-02-06 at 15.37.56.png

? Thanks, John

Edited by PeterScott
unmerge a merge

10 hours ago, Ronaldo47 said:

In the md-1960's I went off to college, and met some other new students for coffee.  When we were introducing ourselves, and one guy said he was from Keynsham, all the rest of us, in perfect synchronisation said "Is that K-E-Y-N, S-H-A-M, Keynsham, Bristol?" The guy said "Yes: it's funny, everyone says that when I say where I'm from!". Turned out he didn't listen to Radio Luxembourg and had never heard of Horace Batchelor.  

I've passed that boat a few times and each time I've done the 'K-E-Y-N-S-H-A-M' thing to the steerer, or enquired if he is Mr Batchelor himself.

Puzzled looks are all I've got back!

:unsure:

• Greenie 1

1 hour ago, Dav and Pen said:

This day 2018 there was a bit of snow in Burgundy and our friends at the B and B sent some photos.

5A588C9B-8D44-4AF5-9379-19397A4B02B9.jpeg

What a fine building! It looks like one of the more self-important French country railway stations.

7 minutes ago, Athy said:

What a fine building! It looks like one of the more self-important French country railway stations.

There are at least 3 like this on the Burgundy canal and they are owned by the VNF and leased to the current occupiers. This wharf must have been much more important when the canal was at its peak and the house was the home of the district inspector.

• Greenie 1

On this day in 2006

spacer.png

Northern Oxford Barby Straight. Bridge No 77 Before the Marina

spacer.png

spacer.pngAnd not quite so straight at Br 82 Rowdyke

And the good news is ...

... while it could have been a canal picture ...

it's actually the RiverAvon  bridge beyond Tesco at Rugby from br 58

More sevenths of February

8 hours ago, PeterScott said:

spacer.png

And the good news is ...

Come the winter, they will have migrated on the flood to the navigable Avon. Boaters will still get to experience the sickening lurch and grounch of running over one, despite them taking a wrong turn in their escape from servitude at Rugby's Tesco branch.

On this day in 1997

spacer.png

Foxton GU Leicester Section  Compare #2306 (1973) #2585 (1994) #1499 (2002) #1830 (2015) #3246 (2017) #3459 (2018)

Part of a stoppage-time dash from Weedon, where we had been iced-in at Christmas, to Braunston for some winter-work on the boat. The direct route was closed by winter maintenance of Braunston locks.

9 hours ago, PeterScott said:

spacer.pngOn [7Feb] in 2006

And the good news is ...

45 minutes ago, Jen-in-Wellies said:

Come the winter, they will have migrated on the flood to the navigable Avon. Boaters will still get to experience the sickening lurch and grounch of running over one, despite them taking a wrong turn in their escape from servitude at Rugby's Tesco branch.

L1248_20061007_0008s.jpg.725a6e971582018877938e6646eae52d.jpg

I said much-the-same to Tesco's store Manager at the time - that it was their civic responsibility to prevent their trollies being dumped in the environment and that they should have pound-coins in their trollies. It seemed that local management didn't have to pay for replacement trollies out of their local profits, so enthusiasm for talking to me was limited ...

L1248_20061007_0006a.jpg.2516e11916520aa135ba47b3bf68b8c4.jpg

... but by October that year all the trollies were fitted with special feet, that detected the Tesco store boundary, and had this plactic cover come down over one of the wheels to make it hard to push along. It's possible to identify the trollies at a distance by the red collar around said foot. As and below, the difference can be seen in the River Avon.

L1248_20061007_0001a.jpg.edcf9d8f2a1798e0096ca8820bfe0b99.jpg

• Haha 1

We followed a lady from Rugby Tesco up the footpath with her trolley of shopping to one of the houses by the canal, nothing stopped her wheeling the trolley out of the car park. She did assure us she was going to take the trolley back to the store.