Tonic required. Send in your photos of what is nice on the waterways now.

DandV

Featured Posts

On this day in 2014

spacer.png

spacer.pngKnostrop Fall Lock A+C Leeds

and the discharge of the weir, the top of which is behind the pair of A+C paddles in main picture, and the boats moored in this weirstream. The main flow of the River Aire is taken through a weir on t'othe (north) side of the lock island.

In the 2015 Boxing day floods, this weir was damaged and the boats were washed away downstream.

spacer.png

spacer.png

On the Waal: a group of liveaboard barges seen in a basin at Nijmegen, and a sudden patch of fog further downriver. When that happened all those without radar made towards the bank to either stop or go at very slow speed. Meanwhile those with radar on board carried on their merry way, thundering by with siren signals as they passed. Having subsequently seen how difficult radar can be when there are overhead power cables around I am glad I did not know that then.

PICT0519.jpg

PICT0248.jpg

• Greenie 2

On this day in 2009

spacer.png

spacer.png

Rickmansworth Arm GUSouth,

Drawbridge

Compare

#3406 (1980)

#3867 (1994)

#4972 (2008)

#765 (2009)

#3248 (2010)

#3911 (2019)

and the weir alongside the Arm's lock

spacer.png

Edited by PeterScott
move photo

I well remember the day that, as a small boy, I walked around the dried-out bed of Ladybower Dam (as it was known locally) with my parents. My Dad said that the remains were of the village of Ashopton, but he may have been mistaken; I think both it and Derwent were flooded when the dam was filled. The church spire of one of them protruded above the surface for some years.