Tonic required. Send in your photos of what is nice on the waterways now.

DandV

Featured Posts

On the 24th 2010 we went up to Shannon Harbour to visit friends. The 2 barges are moored where we did for 2 years when we took our NB over. For only 100 Irish pounds a year the canal license included mooring what a bargain.

0308FFA9-C8AD-4470-96CB-8E4BFC9E95A1.jpeg

• Greenie 1

Horses again.At an exhibition some years ago  The Imperial War Museum displayed this picture of wounded horses being taken by canal in France. Intriguingly the barges seem to be English. Up to half a million horses were used by British forces on the Western front.

Rhine 4 1.jpeg

Rhine 4 3.jpeg

Rhine 4 2.jpeg

• Greenie 1

On the 25th 2018 the Star Flyer was back in Cuban waters and this large pilot had to stay on board. He spent the day eating and lazing in the saloon. It was my birthday so herself embarrassed me in the evening with a cake and a song.

E420BA4C-BEAD-4E8A-8A41-67C13007D766.jpeg

A6B81C1F-8CDF-4809-A22B-49ADE7F49E21.jpeg

• Greenie 3

3 hours ago, John Liley said:

Horses again.At an exhibition some years ago  The Imperial War Museum displayed this picture of wounded horses being taken by canal in France. Intriguingly the barges seem to be English. Up to half a million horses were used by British forces on the Western front.

Rhine 4 1.jpeg

I have been told on good authority that some A&CN boats and tugs were sent to France, though I have not personally seen any documentation to confirm this.

1 hour ago, Pluto said:

I have been told on good authority that some A&CN boats and tugs were sent to France, though I have not personally seen any documentation to confirm this.

The hotel-barge Art de Vivre was built in Britain, probably at Woolwich, as an ammunition carrier in France during World War 1. In her subsequent career she plied as a freighter on the Canal du Mid, before moving to Burgundy and the canal du Nivernais, as seen here 

DSCN2379 2.jpg

• Greenie 3

9 minutes ago, John Liley said:

The hotel-barge Art de Vivre was built in Britain, probably at Woolwich, as an ammunition carrier in France during World War 1. In her subsequent career she plied as a freighter on the Canal du Mid, before moving to Burgundy and the canal du Nivernais, as seen here 

I thought it was an old ship, but that's more than I'd have imagined.

Tam

1 hour ago, PeterScott said:

spacer.png

GaggCinC2-p96s.jpg.3ef87a38e41d45c552942e397eddbdcf.jpgRemembering John Gagg, waterways author and campaigner, who died in October 2001 aged 85. John published many pictures of similar composition, taken from the steering position of his narrowboats. This one is from the Trent and his book Canals in Camera 2, one 14 titles published in a 20-year period from 1970.

John's waterway literary career came at the end of a lifelong passion for education and literature during which he wrote more than 130 books and edited over 100 others. His books sold more than 20 million copies in Africa alone.

For canal navigation, John gained 12 Silver Sword cruising awards up to 1971, when he took over organisation of the award until it finished in 1984.

• Greenie 3

(#5013) On this day in 2011

spacer.png

and from that landingstage

spacer.png

and some extrapush gate-extensions

spacer.pngspacer.pngspacer.png

Maintenance boat in the lock cut above - and warning on the top gates

Linton Lock - Yorkshire Ouse. The ownership and management of the lock and its lock cut is complicated

11 hours ago, PeterScott said:

GaggCinC2-p96s.jpg.3ef87a38e41d45c552942e397eddbdcf.jpgRemembering John Gagg, waterways author and campaigner, who died in October 2001 aged 85. John published many pictures of similar composition, taken from the steering position of his narrowboats. This one is from the Trent and his book Canals in Camera 2, one 14 titles published in a 20-year period from 1970.

John's waterway literary career came at the end of a lifelong passion for education and literature during which he wrote more than 130 books and edited over 100 others. His books sold more than 20 million copies in Africa alone.

For canal navigation, John gained 12 Silver Sword cruising awards up to 1971, when he took over organisation of the award until it finished in 1984.

I remember John Gagg very well. In our early days with hotel-barge Secunda I invited him on board for a week. There he told me how, as a schools inspector, he had been asked his opinion of a forthcoming textbook on English for African children and found it hopelessly adult and patronising. Reluctantly, he was then asked to write his own version, which turned into a highly successful series. "Because I'm a childlike person myself" was the way that he put it.

I also remember him dismantling a fellow passenger's outlook when a racist comment had been overheard. Quietly and politely, but remorselessly, he did just that.

• Greenie 1

Trains again. On the 26th we were back in Cienfuegos and had a rickshaw ride around the town. Came across these abandoned  locos near the harbour. Think they were used on the sugar plantation railways. The horse and carriage is the normal method of transport in the rural parts of Cuba.

BCAF3E9B-F1D0-42C3-B938-F8A7132FF417.jpeg

71FAE954-8CFC-41AA-A0B7-CA9FD4AA2FC2.jpeg

3A85761E-01EB-4741-9151-55EE66B24490.jpeg

Edited by Dav and Pen
Content
  • Greenie 3

One of our neighbours has made regular visits to Cuba for many years and told me that steam engines, mostly American as those specimens obviously are, were kept in reserve for many years and were brought out each year for the intensive sugar traffic. Apparently they've all been retired now, but they were still at work well into the 21st century.

3 hours ago, PeterScott said:

(#5013) On this day in 2011

spacer.png

and from that landingstage

spacer.png

and some extrapush gate-extensions

Maintenance boat in the lock cut above - and warning on the top gates

Linton Lock - Yorkshire Ouse. The ownership and management of the lock and its lock cut is complicated

The hardest lock the wife has had to operate.

On 20/04/2020 at 16:58, Tim Lewis said:

384 Thames Tideway 20th May 2006.JPGWe were [by Thames River Police] boarded in 2006 as a random stop authorised under the Prevention Of Terrorism Act, ... The policeman took one look in the hold, baulked, then gave us the all clear

[inc later message 20/04/2020 at 19:57]

On this day 27Jan in 2008: a guided tour of Fulbourne's hold Compare 2512379 #2910

spacer.png

spacer.pngspacer.pngspacer.pngspacer.pngspacer.png

and opening the door we have ... designed specifically for the vertically challenged  ...   (errr ... let's not go there)