Tonic required. Send in your photos of what is nice on the waterways now.

DandV

Featured Posts

4 hours ago, Dav and Pen said:

It was in 1985 I have corrected the post. The system was certainly British built and most of the stock looked pre independence.

Is the top photo one of these?:

Gaekwar's Baroda State Railway Class A 4-6-0 steam locomotives (William Bagnall, Stafford 1933).jpg

Made by W.G. Baganall in Stafford.

ETA On closer inspection perhaps not. But I'm sure Bagnall built a batch of locos for use in India.

Edited by Victor Vectis

16 minutes ago, Victor Vectis said:

Is the top photo one of these?:

Gaekwar's Baroda State Railway Class A 4-6-0 steam locomotives (William Bagnall, Stafford 1933).jpg

Made by W.G. Baganall in Stafford.

ETA On closer inspection perhaps not. But I'm sure Bagnall built a batch of locos for use in India.

They certainly look very similar even to the cab and headlight. We went behind one of these from Delhi to Udiapur  an overnight trip but the loco failed about an hour away from destination. Eventually another one arrived and pulled us in nobody seemed bothered as it was probably a common occurrence.

spacer.pngOn this day in 2016

Aylesbury Arm GU

The "are yet to repair the leak in the lock" appeared to be an addition to the notice, presumably by those occupying the said Lock Cottage"

a few more pictures of the Aylesbury Arm this day

13 hours ago, Dav and Pen said:

More stream locos from Rajasthan in 1985 January. These are meter gauge which has now been replaced by standard gauge track and no more steam. The crew standing by the loco saw me and got out of the cab to pose. Note the vulture above .

34D55923-8F27-48A0-B9AE-F89BED7AC064.jpeg

FBF92340-8D50-46CC-BB3A-8607060D1E8F.jpeg

78C975B3-525C-4561-988E-2A26CD2E443D.jpeg

Great stuff. Herewith one of my own, taken at around the same time, out in Rajasthan. I was practically arrested taking this photo as railways were defined as a military objective apparently, although, as often in India, hands were shaken, good wishes exchanged and the whole thing forgotten.

Incidentally, apropos of nothing to do with waterways, I recommend  'Man-eaters of Kumaon' (which is where we were going), a best-seller in Britain years ago, but now largely forgotten. The author Jim Corbett, tracked down tigers which spread terror in outlying territories - one animal alone killed over 500 people - and while he was hunting them, they, all too often, were hunting him. A gripping read, in or out of Lockdown.  Amazon has it. After that try 'The Man-eating Leopard of Rudraprayag.'

PICT0049.jpg

Edited by John Liley
Mis-spelling
  • Greenie 2

11 hours ago, John Liley said:

Great stuff. Herewith one of my own, taken at around the same time, out in Rajasthan. I was practically arrested taking this photo as railways were defined as a military objective apparently, although, as often in India, hands were shaken, good wishes exchanged and the whole thing forgotten.

Incidentally, apropos of nothing to do with waterways, I recommend  'Man-eaters of Kumaon' (which is where we were going), a best-seller in Britain years ago, but now largely forgotten. The author Jim Corbett, tracked down tigers which spread terror in outlying territories - one animal alone killed over 500 people - and while he was hunting them, they, all too often, were hunting him. A gripping read, in or out of Lockdown.  Amazon has it. After that try 'The Man-eating Leopard of Rudraprayag.'

PICT0049.jpg

I also was very nervous of taking railway photos as there are signs everywhere warning against it. On a journey from Jodphur to Jaisalmer out in the desert at every station the sidings were full of tanks on flat cars under a bit of camouflage netting. It’s very near the Pakistan border and I’m sure they must have known exactly what was there. On the 1988 trip I had a new video camera which caused problems at the airport and I had a form on the passport to show when we left India with the camera. At conoor I was videotaping the loco shed when I was noticed by the men who all came to look, I showed them the film in the small screen on the camera and then I had to take shots of them individually. Nobody sent for the police. I have read the Jim Corbett book and have been to places to look for Tigers but never actually seen one in the flesh.

Edited by Dav and Pen
Spelling

34 minutes ago, Dav and Pen said:

I also was very nervous of taking railway photos as there are signs everywhere warning against it. On a journey from Jodphur to Jaisalmer out in the desert at every station the sidings were full of tanks on flat cars under a bit of camouflage netting. It’s very near the Pakistan border and I’m sure they must have known exactly what was there. On the 1988 trip I had a new video camera which caused problems at the airport and I had a form on the passport to show when we left India with the camera. At conoor I was videotaping the loco shed when I was noticed by the men who all came to look, I showed them the film in the small screen on the camera and then I had to take shots of them individually. Nobody sent for the police. I have read the Jim Corbett book and have been to places to look for Tigers but never actually seen one in the flesh.

Yes, tigers are elusive. We spent a few days at  the Corbett Reserve and did not see one (though wild elephants in the early morning mists made the trip well worthwhile). We learned later that the bus that took us in went round a corner on the way back and came across a tiger sitting in  the road. Our son, however. on a recent trip to another reserve,has a shot on his mobile of a tiger leaping high from the undergrowth in order to kill a pig. A bit touristic I suppose, but it remains a country in which dull moments are very, very rare.

On this day in 2017

spacer.png

spacer.pngTadcaster. Navigation and Bellringing ofter seem to be overlapping pastimes. Photo from a bellringing practice here 

L2523_20160914_0001s.jpg.125ab0119bce25b684e09cecfe786376.jpg

L2523_20160914_0003s.jpg.c21e7d3bd46b00b8bce6ceeb5258f612.jpg... which (a photo from a visit three months earlier) is close-by the weir, the tidal limit-of-navigation on the River Wharfe ...

... and upstream from Tadcaster Bridge which needed significant rebuilding after the 2015 BoxingDay flooding

On 03/01/2021 at 15:32, PeterScott said:

spacer.pngOn this day in 2005.

Tooley's Boatyard...Banbury Southern Oxford

The 61ft narrow boat "Unspoilt by Progress 1"- together with its butty- "Unspoilt by Progress 2” was made famous by ... Nick Sanders, who ... [in 1994] took the pair of boats from the Black Country to River Thames to Calais, up the River Rhine and down the Danube to the Black Sea and back. He and the boats travelled over 8000 miles. “Unspoilt by Progress 1” is booked into Tooley's Boatyard to be totally refurbished. The works that are being carried out include: Extending the boat length by 8 ft, Building a 28 ft cabin on top of the boat, Painting the cabin, Fitting out the interior ...

On 03/01/2021 at 16:14, Ray T said:

SAM_4180 Unspoilt by Progress and Tewkesbury_thumb[4].jpgSAM_4181 Unspoilt by Progress and Tewkesbury_thumb.jpg

... the butty sank whilst at the Black Sea. ...

spacer.png

May 1998 Southern Oxford Unspoilt by Progress I & II still together