Tonic required. Send in your photos of what is nice on the waterways now.

DandV

Featured Posts

On this day in 2015

spacer.png

spacer.pngRed light: Do Not Navigate through the lock. Leeds Lock A+C. Boxing Day floods.

Red light: Stop. (Do not drive into the water-fountain)

Road outside Fearns Wharf, C&RT Leeds office.

Pontoon outside Fearns Wharf, C&RT Leeds office.

It was washed away later that day.

Compare #4544 (2013)

spacer.png

4 hours ago, PeterScott said:

On this day in 2015

spacer.png

spacer.pngRed light: Do Not Navigate through the lock. Leeds Lock A+C. Boxing Day floods.

Red light: Stop. (Do not drive into the water-fountain)

Road outside Fearns Wharf, C&RT Leeds office.

Pontoon outside Fearns Wharf, C&RT Leeds office.

It was washed away later that day.

Compare #4544 (2013)

spacer.png

And on this day in 2015 at Hebden Bridge.

The canal overflowing the towpath:

PICT0209.JPG.ee92953746e52573efb7ddfc706b7e7d.JPGPICT0208.JPG.0f2dc9e5cc8302ad9ef6d27c1b8feca5.JPG

Not too  much damage compared with elsewhere. The same cannot be said for Hope Street in the town centre.

PICT0193.JPG.849c7345855bcd0a189c4904a06371df.JPG

1 minute ago, Athy said:

The Springer is moored in a nice cosy little alcove. But why is the alcove there? Were the locks formerly twinned? Perhaps it was a loading wharf?

Originally like Hatton there were narrow locks, the whole stretch of the GU was then widened with double locks built.

• Greenie 1

12 minutes ago, Rob-M said:

Originally like Hatton there were narrow locks, the whole stretch of the GU was then widened with double locks built.

So it's moored in what would have been the tail of the narrow lock, ah I see now, thanks.

57 minutes ago, Rob-M said:

Was the canal widened or just the locks to allow two narrowboats? The canal between Hatton and Knowle becomes de-facto one way working in many places when a widebeam pitches up, most obviously at Shrewley Tunnel.

1 hour ago, Sea Dog said:

Was the canal widened or just the locks to allow two narrowboats? The canal between Hatton and Knowle becomes de-facto one way working in many places when a widebeam pitches up, most obviously at Shrewley Tunnel.

The locks were replaced with wide locks so a pair of narrowboats could go through the locks together, once away from the locks they would have been singled out and not needed broad infrastructure. Some of the bridge were also widened and the width for dredging was increased according to Wikipedia.

7 minutes ago, Rob-M said:

The locks were replaced with wide locks so a pair of narrowboats could go through the locks together, once away from the locks they would have been singled out and not needed broad infrastructure. Some of the bridge were also widened and the width for dredging was increased according to Wikipedia.

This is what I thought. Unfortunately, the CRT limits of navigation don't recognise this as perhaps they should beyond Hatton or certainly, it seems to me, from Shrewley Tunnel.  Widebeams on this stretch do take up more of the channel than is conducive to everyone else's normal navigation. The only safe option I can see when meeting one is to immediately stop alongside the towpath and let them take whatever action is required for their intended pass, which usually involves shallow water and far bank trees. I don't think narrowboats and canal cruisers ought to be forced into a difficult situation to ease a Widebeams passage. Anyway, what was the topic again...:offtopic: :blush:

• Greenie 1

5 hours ago, Rob-M said:

[Knowle,] Originally like Hatton there were narrow locks, the whole stretch of the GU was then widened with double locks built.

24-001.JPG.b95dd4a988ef49f037f06e674e18fdb2.JPG

This is at Bascote looking along the old narrow chamber with new wide locks alongside; it looks like a derelict / restoration-project canal.

Edited by PeterScott
Corrected from #4697: well-spotted. Not Stockton but Bascote.
  • Greenie 2

43 minutes ago, Rob-M said:

Part of Government-funded job-creation scheme to replace all the narrow locks between Braunston and Birmingham (Sampson Road depot), and to allow operation of paired narrow boats or single wide boats from London to Birmingham, after the merger of a number of different canal companies to form the Grand Union Canal. The GUCCC built a trial 12'6" wide wideboat, which was used for the Royal opening of Hatton Locks, but it was not a success commercially, not least because the lock widening wasn't accompanied by sufficient channel enlargement. And so carrying by motor and butty pairs became the mainstay of GU operation until the end of carrying.

24 minutes ago, Sea Dog said:

This is what I thought. Unfortunately, the CRT limits of navigation don't recognise this as perhaps they should beyond Hatton or certainly, it seems to me, from Shrewley Tunnel.  Widebeams on this stretch do take up more of the channel than is conducive to everyone else's normal navigation. The only safe option I can see when meeting one is to immediately stop alongside the towpath and let them take whatever action is required for their intended pass, which usually involves shallow water and far bank trees. I don't think narrowboats and canal cruisers ought to be forced into a difficult situation to ease a Widebeams passage. Anyway, what was the topic again...:offtopic: :blush:

There have long been wide beams on this section. I moored a boat at Knowle in the mid 70s and there were a couple of clinker-built lifeboat conversions about then which must have had a beam of 9 or 10 feet.

6 hours ago, Rob-M said:

Knowle Flight.

1636784846_KnowleLocks1950.jpg.f069e5934bb358fccfe3006d223b60b7.jpg

Also not sure which of the Northern GU flight this is, probably Hatton.

1089117622_OldnewWKsectionGU.jpg.5ee63d695dc07d1dd020b8211247234f.jpg

Edited by Ray T

1 hour ago, Rob-M said:

Bascote Bottom lock was what Peter titled it when posting on Canal Plan https://canalplan.org.uk/photo/ftgm_3

Yes.

That's where I checked and found the identical photo!

BTW Can I say a big THANK YOU to Peter for posting his 'on this day'pics. I've enjoyed trying to identify the location before reading the caption.