Tonic required. Send in your photos of what is nice on the waterways now.

DandV

Featured Posts

14 hours ago, John Liley said:

My old friend Mike Streat told me that one of the things that attracted him to France was the sight of one of these, absolutely flying through a station, with the driver in tight-fitting beret and googles, leaning from the cab and wearing also, streaming in the wind, a long red scarf. Not the sort of thing ever encountered in my own childhood loco-spotting days.

Of all the reasons one might be attracted to France. That little story provides a great insight to the mechanically minded male.

52 minutes ago, Athy said:

What a beautiful beast. The 241Rs were France's crack post-war express engines. Four have been preserved but this is the only one which works.

In case anyone's wondering about the "141" and "241" terminology, it's down to the French's stubborn belief that engines have wheels on only one side. We'd call them 2-8-2 and 4-8-2.

It is something of a beast, apparently too strong for its own body. The French were perhaps wise enough to note that all their wheels were connected by axles. I’ll bet it had some interesting arguments with sharp curves.

15 hours ago, John Liley said:

My old friend Mike Streat told me that one of the things that attracted him to France was the sight of one of these, absolutely flying through a station, with the driver in tight-fitting beret and googles,

The French were quite advanced in the introduction of the internet, yes.

I do know the "look" you mean. There's an old French film, perhaps an adaptation of  Zola's 'La Bete Humaine, in which Jean Gabin as the engine driver has that beret-and-goggles headgear. I wonder why British loco crews weren't issued with eye protection.

Edited by Athy

8 hours ago, Athy said:

The French were quite advanced in the introduction of the internet, yes.

I do know the "look" you mean. There's an old French film, perhaps an adaptation of  Zola's 'La Bete Humaine, in which Jean Gabin as the engine driver has that beret-and-goggles headgear. I wonder why British loco crews weren't issued with eye protection.

I bought the DVD recently, having seen the film donkey's years ago. It was directed by Jean Renoir, son of the painter. Tremendous bits of film on the footplate, particularly at the beginning. I believe the cameraman risked his life on a precarious platform beside the cab.. The rest of the movie hasn't worn so well in my opinion. 'Heavy melodrama' scarcely describes it. I went to a highly entertaining lecture by Jean Renoir in my youth. A striking personality, but what I remember most is the suit that he wore. Of undoubted quality, it looked, however, as if he had slept in it. There were twenty-odd creases across his trousers.

(Apologies for the goggle/google stuff. It was bound to happen. Must try harder.)

Loco.jpg

30 minutes ago, PeterScott said:

Today 2020

spacer.png

Lock flight alongside the road - Marple flight lock 15 Peak Forest Canal and pound between the locks extending to their side. More from a damp walk today

spacer.png

Thanks Peter, for getting out today with your camera and showing there is still beauty to be seen, in the obviously very trying circumstances, that you, and so many others elsewhere in in the world, are now experiencing.

Your photo of the beautiful curves of that roving bridge, is the best photo of those modest, but supremely elegant structures I have seen.

And to all that have contributed to this thread over this past extremely difficult year, thanks.

Stay safe everybody, and do the best you can  to have a good Christmas.

Don and Val

spacer.png

On 19/03/2020 at 05:53, DandV said:

In this time of incalculable gloom, .... Spring in Britain is beautifully photogenic, and as this goes on, so is summer, and then autumn, and winter. Share the views please. Don and Val

9 hours ago, DandV said:

... today... there is still beauty to be seen, in the obviously very trying circumstances,... And to all that have contributed to this thread over this past extremely difficult year, thanks. Stay safe everybody, and do the best you can  to have a good Christmas. Don and Val

...yes, and the four thousand five hundred and ninety messages in between have all been both joy and welcome-distraction, either to read or to construct. This morning's radio was one of those gloomier days; so here's to even more views of the waterways in winter, spring, ...

And an added distraction from this image, is why anyone would need that hooped ladder to climb up/down the face of the dull-looking building overlooking the canal. Or it would overlook, if it had any windows.

It is at New Double Lock on Boardmans Bridge Branch of the Sankey Canal on this day in 2009.

16 minutes ago, PeterScott said:

spacer.png

...yes, and the four thousand five hundred and ninety messages in between have all been both joy and welcome-distraction, either to read or to construct. This morning's radio was one of those gloomier days; so here's to even more views of the waterways in winter, spring, ...

And an added distraction from this image, is why anyone would need that hooped ladder to climb up/down the face of the dull-looking building overlooking the canal. Or it would overlook, if it had any windows.

It is at New Double Lock on Boardmans Bridge Branch of the Sankey Canal on this day in 2009.

As a means of access to inspect and maintain the roof structure.

• Greenie 1