Tonic required. Send in your photos of what is nice on the waterways now.

DandV

Featured Posts

23 hours ago, PeterScott said:

Today 2020

spacer.png

Sheffield Basin

These Sheffield Basin photos take me back - though not to my boyhood because, although I spent the first 13 years of my life in Sheffield and often walked to Victoria station, not far from it, I had absolutely no idea that the basin was there. I discovered it only on a visit to the city some three decades later.

Edited by Athy

5 hours ago, John Liley said:

Bingley 5, 1971. With laundry to dry, we lit the stove early, then , with uncanny accuracy, a leak in the gate went straight down the chimney, filling the bow cabin with ashes, and steam.. The gate will have been fixed by now, won't it?

It's heritage ... they had to put the hole in the same place in the new gates! :D

• Haha 1

6 hours ago, John Liley said:

Bingley 5, 1971. With laundry to dry, we lit the stove early, then , with uncanny accuracy, a leak in the gate went straight down the chimney, filling the bow cabin with ashes, and steam.. The gate will have been fixed by now, won't it?

I take it you have not seen the Video?

On this day in 2010

spacer.png

Moored in the ice below Stone bottom lock ....

spacer.png

spacer.png

... having descended the lock bacwards ...

spacer.pngspacer.png

... winded in the winding hole, and finding the laminated ice (broken, double thickness, frozen again) too thick to penetrate despite lots of forward-reverse-forward and pushing in various directions. More on thirteenths of December.

Edited by PeterScott
remove spacer

This morning

spacer.png

spacer.pngAnd on a theme of signs around Turnerwood, Chesterfield Canal, these are both discouraging lockwheelers from crossing the gates, which have only the beams, without a ledge to walk across.

More from a walk this morning. Try the Slideshow button

spacer.png

• Greenie 1

4 minutes ago, PeterScott said:

This morning

spacer.pngAnd on a theme of signs around Turnerwood, Chesterfield Canal, these are both discouraging lockwheelers from crossing the gates, which have only the beams, without a ledge to walk across.

More from a walk this morning. Try the Slideshow button

Is traversing more dangerous than crossing, I wonder.

Tam

1 minute ago, Tam & Di said:

Is traversing more dangerous than crossing, I wonder.

Tam

One more syllable, so more risk of spraining a tongue pronouncing it. ?

These locks were all restored over a period of a few years, so the gates are likely to all wear out at the same time. I took my boat up the flight in 2016 and they were in good condition. A lovely lock flight. It is a shame so few boaters get up there.

Jen

1 hour ago, Dav and Pen said:

2B1140BD-DD04-4489-B270-4B986EB22372.jpegOn this day in 1978 the Coventry canal breached near Courthaulds and caused serious flooding in Coventry. These photos were taken some time afterwards.

Gosh, snap! Mine were (snapped) on 24 February 1979

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.pngspacer.png

a few more    Coventry Basin  Compare #2295 (1971) #3308 (2017)

• Greenie 1

3 hours ago, PeterScott said:

HMS Belfast

River Thames

Alongside HMS BELFAST in a couple of your photos is the Seawolf Leander Class frigate HMS HERMIONE, affectionately known as Hermi One. The Pool of London is aways a popular visit for RN warships and having Tower Bridge open for you is awesome. It can be a bit interesting from a navigation perspective though, and in '84 a similar frigate had a bit of an altercation with London Bridge, but that's another matter...!  :blush: